Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This token was found m.d. in an abandoned lot where a house once stood. I also found some mercury dimes there from around the 1920's if that helps with a date approximation.. I went to a local coin shop here in Casper Wy and he said that it looked old because it is a half cent and this helped pay people back in that day and age. The token appears to be made of mostly copper because if it's brown color. The words on one side say, "RODY MC NAMARA MANSION BAR 12 1/2¢." The reverse side says, "GOOD FOR 12 1/2 ¢ IN TRADE." I would greatly appreciate any help in identification of this interesting token, thanks!!

ForumRunner_20140715_174815.png

ForumRunner_20140715_174845.png

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
Congrats on the super find!

I wonder if it could be from Lead, South Dakota. I found this reported in the 8/14 1909 Omaha, NE newspaper.

Also there was a Rody McNamara in Lincoln, Nebraska before that time who I think could be the same man. He is known in Nebraska history as "the first gambler in the state to serve a term in the penitentiary for following his profession" - he received a 3 month term in 1898.

Attachments

• mcnamara2.jpg
    mcnamara2.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 71
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scooter86

Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the information!! That would be amazing you are right! That could possibly narrow my search to the location and save vast amounts of time doing research! Now I will search for a bar by that name focusing on Nebraska and South Dakota!

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
I think it's him in Lead -- though the way it is written I think he may have moved to Deadwood -- this article from the Aberdeen American 10/29/1915 lists "Rhody McNamara of the Mansion".

Congratulations again - super find!!

Attachments

• mcnamara3.jpg
    mcnamara3.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 64
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Scooter86

Scooter86

Jul 4, 2014
Casper, WY
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Fisher Gold Bug 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like that article it mentions both that he was a saloon keeper and that the bar was called Mansion! I really appreciate your hard work. This means that someone visited the bar and brought a token back to Casper Wyoming where they ended up losing it in their yard. That sure does make a great story! Then to top it all off this Rody person gets into trouble selling alcohol to minors. You have to love finding relics that have some history and a story behind them. I feel fortunate to have placed my md coil over the top of this token now it sure is a surprising find, thank you.

Upvote 0

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
It was a fun one to research! You might want to post the token in the Tokens & Tags subforum here-

Tokens & Tags

The posters there have access to a number of references I do not and they might be able to give you more info about your token.

I also think they would like to see it! :)

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread