Katana, possibly from the Philippines

Evildedluv

Jul 16, 2014
PA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have a sword my grandfather gave to me, I'm curious what it is. I don't know much about swords, so sorry if I'm not providing enough info. I measured it, the blade is just under 27 inches in length and the hilt is about 9 inches in length. It looks like a katana, but I could be mistaken. The blade seems thicker than other katanas I have seen. At the base of the blade it has "Philippines" etched in, which is what led me to believe it was from there. Hopefully the images fill in any blanks. katana 014.jpg katana 003.jpg katana 009.jpg katana 013.jpg

Thanks for your time :thumbsup:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did Granddad tell you anything on it, such as how he came to have it?

Upvote 0

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Having the word "Phillipines" in English doesn't extend much hope that it is anything but a tourist item.

Upvote 0

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
This is unquestionably a tourist piece. They handcraft these usually out of mild steel and sell them cheap.
If you look at the blade, you will notice it is very rough with a lot of imperfections, rust pockets and grind marks. Meaning it was just a piece of mild steel that was cleaned up and shaped with power tools. Then they threw a handle on it and sold it.

I've seen hundreds of these during my trips through the Philippines. It was also fairly common for the Philippine Marines to bring along dozens of knives to try and trade while we were doing joint training with them.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread