12 Silver Day

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those that know me on here, I used to post nearly every day. Sadly, for the past year I have hunted maybe 10 times total, with half of those being in the water. Another detecting forum that I am on planned a spring hunt, and I was conned into going. I got to meet a lot of great people, including a few from this forum.

I started my day at 4:15 AM and did not get home until after 2 AM. I think we started detecting at around 8am or so and it was pitch black by the time the other guys made me leave.

The first two parks were a complete bust for me. I was beginning to wonder if I still knew how to use my machine, but the finds were pretty poor for everybody.

I didn't get rolling with finds until park number 3. At the third park I found the following:

2 Wheats
1908 Barber Dime
Sterling Ring
1944P Silver War Nickel
2 Buffalo Nickels, 1924 & 1927

Then we hit a nice spot on the way home, and the finds really started coming in. I finished the day with the following:

21 Wheats
3 Indian Heads (1893, 1903, 1904)
1944P Silver War Nickel
2 Buffalo Nickels
1908 Barber Dime
5 Mercury Dimes
3 Roosevelt Dimes
Sterling Ring
Sterling St. Christopher Medal
1 1/2 Illinois Tax Token
$4.92 in clad

I also found that 50 Cal. Shell Casing (about 14" deep or so) and what appears to be some kind of shiv. It is super sharp and was found less than 1" deep on a soccer field. I normally don't touch shallow signals, but the first two parks had nothing as far as deep or old finds go, so I was seeing if I could at least pull a piece of sterling or something since I had to wait on everybody else before I could leave.

06-08-08.JPG

06-08-08-2.JPG

06-08-08-3.JPG

Upvote 0

Goes4ever

Silver Member
Jan 30, 2008
NorthWest Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Equinox 600, and Tesorso compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow that was an amazing day! congrats on the GREAT finds!

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Congrats to you. With finds like that at your parks, I would definitely be hunting more often! You certainly have the right machine for the job!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Congrats to you. With finds like that at your parks, I would definitely be hunting more often! You certainly have the right machine for the job!

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

These certainly weren't at my parks. These were in a state over. You just don't make finds like that around here.

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Sorry, Bscofield6! I didn't gather that from your post. I've been having to travel further and further away from my locale to find the oldies myself. It's tough to find any oldies within a 20 mile radius of my home now. I'm usually driving around 60-70 mi. round trip (sometimes further) to find the old stuff now. Starting to get a little expensive with gas the way it is now. I live close to the beach too, but find deep turf silver more fun and challenging.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

bscofield6 said:
Captn_SE said:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

These certainly weren't at my parks. These were in a state over. You just don't make finds like that around here.

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Captn_SE said:
Sorry, Bscofield6! I didn't gather that from your post. I've been having to travel further and further away from my locale to find the oldies myself. It's tough to find any oldies within a 20 mile radius of my home now. I'm usually driving around 60-70 mi. round trip (sometimes further) to find the old stuff now. Starting to get a little expensive with gas the way it is now. I live close to the beach too, but find deep turf silver more fun and challenging.

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

bscofield6 said:
Captn_SE said:

HH,
CAPTN SE
Dan

This was one of those random road trips that I was asked to go on. For me, I was probably a solid 3 hours of mostly interstate driving to these locations. Might be close to 4 hours to get there. Very long day!

I don't even go to the parks around here because hunting all day for a wheat, an indian head, and maybe a silver dime just isn't a whole lot of fun anymore.

shootist

Aug 5, 2006
The hills of central Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Explorer 2
Hey Brian,good to see you post,been wondering how you have been getting along. I too havent been hunting much at all,Ive got a new job Ive been spending way too much time at. Its getting tougher and tougher to find any good spots to hunt so when I do get a chance I seldom find much,its a sign of the times when you have to leave the state to find any goodies. Maybe we can get together and hunt sometime this summer? If I notice any promising spots down your way Ill let you know,still have your number...Jeff

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
shootist said:
Hey Brian,good to see you post,been wondering how you have been getting along. I too havent been hunting much at all,Ive got a new job Ive been spending way too much time at. Its getting tougher and tougher to find any good spots to hunt so when I do get a chance I seldom find much,its a sign of the times when you have to leave the state to find any goodies. Maybe we can get together and hunt sometime this summer? If I notice any promising spots down your way Ill let you know,still have your number...Jeff

Feel free to give me a call anytime for a hunt. The past year I have been really busy, but I will be pretty free the next few weeks I think.

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Great way to maximize your hunts and find so much silver. Congrats on some great finds!! More silver coins there than I've found all year!!

DPBOB

Silver Member
Apr 12, 2006
DES PLAINES IL
Detector(s) used

"Your going Metal Detecting
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Brian

Nice Finds!!!!!!!!!

It was nice meeting you on the hunt.

Wish I could say I had some nice finds like yours , but I can't ,but it was fun hunting with the whole bunch.

So you kept the 50 cal !!!!!!

Take care    Bob

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions