12 Silver Day

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For those that know me on here, I used to post nearly every day. Sadly, for the past year I have hunted maybe 10 times total, with half of those being in the water. Another detecting forum that I am on planned a spring hunt, and I was conned into going. I got to meet a lot of great people, including a few from this forum.

I started my day at 4:15 AM and did not get home until after 2 AM. I think we started detecting at around 8am or so and it was pitch black by the time the other guys made me leave.

The first two parks were a complete bust for me. I was beginning to wonder if I still knew how to use my machine, but the finds were pretty poor for everybody.

I didn't get rolling with finds until park number 3. At the third park I found the following:

2 Wheats
1908 Barber Dime
Sterling Ring
1944P Silver War Nickel
2 Buffalo Nickels, 1924 & 1927

Then we hit a nice spot on the way home, and the finds really started coming in. I finished the day with the following:

21 Wheats
3 Indian Heads (1893, 1903, 1904)
1944P Silver War Nickel
2 Buffalo Nickels
1908 Barber Dime
5 Mercury Dimes
3 Roosevelt Dimes
Sterling Ring
Sterling St. Christopher Medal
1 1/2 Illinois Tax Token
$4.92 in clad

I also found that 50 Cal. Shell Casing (about 14" deep or so) and what appears to be some kind of shiv. It is super sharp and was found less than 1" deep on a soccer field. I normally don't touch shallow signals, but the first two parks had nothing as far as deep or old finds go, so I was seeing if I could at least pull a piece of sterling or something since I had to wait on everybody else before I could leave.

06-08-08.JPG

06-08-08-2.JPG

06-08-08-3.JPG

Upvote 0
OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
DesPlaines_IL_SilverBob said:
Hey Brian

Nice Finds!!!!!!!!!

It was nice meeting you on the hunt.

Wish I could say I had some nice finds like yours , but I can't ,but it was fun hunting with the whole bunch.

So you kept the 50 cal !!!!!!

Take care Bob

I kept the 50cal to take a picture of it for you, haha. :)

The spot we hit on the way home really made the day complete.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Of course the coins are wonderful...but I think it's great that you recovered a toe tap in a park. Now THAT'S a park worth hunting!

-Buckles

OP
OP
bazinga

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BuckleBoy said:
Of course the coins are wonderful...but I think it's great that you recovered a toe tap in a park. Now THAT'S a park worth hunting!

-Buckles

Research said that it was a CW camp in 1862.

But everything appeared to be fill dirt. That 50cal was 14" deep. Some spots I would find an al can at 12".

Plus it is several hours away and they charge a yearly MD fee of $50 and it's in a shady neighborhood as well and the ground is littered with piles and piles of bottle caps.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread