Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What a great day I had today. On the way to the park I was brushing up on my VDI numbers because I've been itching to get my second IHP which hits at 58-59 on the F75, so I was keeping that in mind. I found a nice spot on an incline of a small hill which had a pocket spill of s1948 war nickel and a 1937 wheatie, which were stuck together. Then shortly after that I got a 1921 wheat. That was a great sign, so I stayed there. After a couple hours I went around to the other side and I noticed they had white shells showing that were never that obvious before. While making the turn, I saw the magic numbers 58-59 then I looked down and it was on the surface. I remember thinking, "Why is a wheat hitting at those numbers? Ugggh But to my surprise right on the surface was a 1906 IHP!!!!! Unbelievable!!! I went praying to maybe find a Indian head penny and I found one on the surface. It blew my mind. LolLike I mentioned yesterday it's been raining down here for two weeks and it must have eroded on the other side of the hill. There she was with all her beauty. I'm a very lucky man. IMG_0520.JPG IMG_0525.JPG IMG_0523.JPG IMG_0519.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Upvote 28

villagenut

Gold Member
Oct 18, 2014
florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Would that top left cut nickel count as a three center?:laughing7: Nice Indian .

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to hunt with you one time buddy. Your passion of the sport is incredible.

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I would love to hunt with you one time buddy. Your passion of the sport is incredible.

Rob thank you for that compliment, that honor would me all mine. I truly appreciated that thank you.

P.S. We would have a blast

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like your excitement.

As time goes on these moments become more & more believable. So nothing out the ordinary with my specs on.:thumbsup:

ecmo

Feb 28, 2016
Missouri
Detector(s) used
macro racer 2, whites mx5, whites mx sport, trx pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on that coveted IHP you wanted. That cut nickel is a curiosity, don't believe a lawnmower would have done that slick a job.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love this excitement. I remember these moments well. My first 1800s coin. First 1700s coin. First shoe buckle. Set your sights as high as possible. If you believe it can happen and put in the research you will have lots of amazing moments. Congrats on finding what you were after. These posts are some of my favorites. Admittedly some of us set the bar so high that it's almost impossible to reach. When all is new and exciting is awesome. Enjoy the process

Trezurehunter

Gold Member
Mar 22, 2003
Illinois / Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800 - Fisher CZ 5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds. Its always nice to find the old coins right on the surface. It adds a little excitement, because you just dont expect them to be there.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice IHP save. Those shells eroding out of the ground could indicate a American Indian midden if its close to a large stream or river........

OP
OP
Truth

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thank you all for replying to my post. I woke up early this morning and drove an hour to the same spot and spent 4 hours working or the city picking up trash. Man this hobby will humble you lol

Kurios1

Silver Member
Feb 25, 2017
FEMA REGION 5 North Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Nokta Impact Whites DFX 300 & M6 Matrix, Minelab Explorer II (2), Makro Red Racer & Racer 2, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll keep repeating myself on the Indian Head Penny being my favorite US coin design. I just love that coin. Even more when I get a nice one from my rich Illinois soil that has that sweet jade-emerald green patina and no crustiness. Love your enthusiasm and for taking us along on your excursions. Keep after it buddy.

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for replying to my post. I woke up early this morning and drove an hour to the same spot and spent 4 hours working or the city picking up trash. Man this hobby will humble you lol

Haha you said it my friend. My best day ever came on a scouting mission in which I got completely lost, walked into a huge swamp and got soaked on a cold fall day, then later tumbled down an embankment. About 5 minutes later I was holding 2- 1600s silvers. I just had this conversation with a buddy of mine about expectations. He just scored a dream permission that took him months to get and he had to go thru several people. He was so jacked up and had visions of amazing colonial pieces. Well let's just say it didn't work out that way. Looks as though it may have been hit in the 80s before the new owners moved in. You just never know. Some of the spots I've been most excited for have been terribly disappointing. Others I have walked into not even looking for them and they e been incredible. All we can do is put ourselves in the best position to succeed. Beyond that the detecting gods make all the rules. Keep posting my friend. Your passion and excitement is contagious.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread