1280X beach newbie

J

Jason O

Although I've had my 1280X for a few years now I have only used it about a dozen times and never on the beach. I'm headed to the beach in a couple of weeks and I'm going to try it out for the first time. I was wondering if someone could give me a few tips on what I should set my discrimination, and sensitivity at? If these settings need to be changed in wet or dry sand or under water? Would it be better to stick to wet and dry sand or would I be missing out if I didn't get in the water? Do I need anything besides a scoop? Thanks a lot for any help.

Jason

Upvote 0

Mike Silver -gold

Dec 28, 2006
Detector(s) used
DFX - 1280 Excal.-1000
Hi Jason, I have 2 1280,s 1is 8" coil and 1 is a 10" coil. They are great in fresh water. Not too good in salt water. If you want to find gold rings, set your dis. at 0. The real good 14kt dia. rings will be not heard if you dis. Set your sensitivity max. Set your volume at max and you are set. I have found many many gold rings in fresh water this way. You will have to put up with some junk finds but when you pass over a nice ring ,it is yours. Good luck Mike.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Disc. at 2, check out on a bobby pin. You want a slight cherp is all. Everything else above a bobby pin will sound off loud and strong. You have to dig pull tabs as 90% of all gold rings are in this range. Zero Disc is maybe best, but I don't want to waste time digging iron. Sens. should be max in freshwater and you'd maybe need to run it less in salt so it doesn't talk to you much.

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
J

Jason O

I've got a scoop....do I need anything else? Can you detect on any public beach? Oh yeah...I'll be in Florida. Thanks for any help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread