WET SAND AND METAL DETECTORS

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
When experts like yourselves speak of wet sand, are you referring to ocean or fresh water wet sand. Does it make a difference? Can I use a MD in the wet sand of say a freshwater lake? I just know there is virgin territory at this one lake we frequent here in S. Cal, I've never seen a MD anywhere, even though it allowed.

Can a non water type MD be used in fresh water if it is sealed at the coil terminal, only the coil would be under water?

Interested in your comments and suggestions (beyond go to %$#$)
;D

Upvote 0

Capefearsman

Mar 5, 2007
Cape Fear, NC
Detector(s) used
XLT,Double Eagle
Not an expert but I believe they are referring to salt water, my XLT does fine on the dry sand but when I get to the wet sand I get chatter, but not bad enough to stop me from hunting. I don't know about freshwater because I live on the E coast and have never had the chance to do any freshwater hunting. As far as putting your coil underwater I have had mine under BUT I would call the company and ask them. I do know that if you do, Dont lay your detector down, keep it upright till you are positive there is not any water in the stem. This may only apply to XLT's due to the way it is built. Goodluck and HH

surfrat96

Bronze Member
Mar 15, 2005
Hollywood, Florida
Detector(s) used
AquaSound
I think most detectors have a waterproof coil. Just make sure you don't get the box wet! You shouldn't have any trouble in fresh water. In salt water it depends on what machine you have. The mineralization in the salt water may cause your machine to false a lot.

HH 8) surfrat

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not an expert, but when most of us refer to "wetsand", we are talking about salt. The salt mineralization affects many detectors if not designed for it.

Check this site out, it is a big help. http://thegoldenolde.com/

Everything I have learned, I have learned from Treasurenet, the people here or sites I found through here. That and "on the job training".

Good luck and good hunting.

ron lord

Bronze Member
Apr 2, 2007
Zephyrhills Fl
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
excel 1000 with 8 inch coil, Garrett AT MAX and a silver U MAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wet sand : mean sand that is wet weather it be fresh or salt .Some land detectors will work ok in salt sand because of the maneral in the salt water.Remember for every 1000 drop of salt water ,you have 1 drop of pure Gold. Most Detectors with auto track or auto GB will work great in salt water,but I would not put the coil in the salt water ,even if it is water proof, Water detectors are ok. Fresh water is ok . If you even a tiny hole or crack in your coil the salt water will destroy it over time.I base this on 28 years of huntting.If you want to hunt wet sand,Buy you a good Water Detector,some are vary good on Land and sea. Happy huntting.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Treasure Hunter says it best...
I'm not an expert, but when most of us refer to "wetsand", we are talking about salt. The salt mineralization affects many detectors if not designed for it.

Check this site out, it is a big help. http://thegoldenolde.com/

Everything I have learned, I have learned from Treasurenet, the people here or sites I found through here. That and "on the job training".

Good luck and good hunting.

It's not just the saltwater that throws off some detectors, but the black sand that is there in some locations too.
Most land detectors that are hipmountable are safe in the water if you don't fall down. I wouldn't use one in a surf though. If you use a pole mounted detector in the water, make sure all the water is out before you tip up the coil or water may travel up the shaft and fry the electronics. Most major brand detectors have good sealing at the coil.

OP
OP
C

Calworks

Nov 7, 2006
Thanks for the inputs, I've got a Bounty hunter but don't plan on putting it under water, the only part that might get wet will be hte coil. Fresh water is al I'm interested in searching for now. I know from experience with salt water that the machine goes bonkers the wetter the sand becomes, dry sand at the beach it works fine. Was just curious about fresh water

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
I've hunted lots of wet sand at ocean beaches since the mid 70's. Yes, I dealt with a lot of chatter, but even back then, with those old machines, I found lots of goodies. A favorite unit of mine, a Coinmaster 2D, had the old Metal/Mineral control that I used to eliminate all of the manmade iron, and reduced a good share of the salt /black sand chatter. I guess that because I hunted the beaches almost all the time, I got used to it. Even with the other machines I used over that time, I basically ignored the steady chatter that would drive most people crazy. Even with all the blips and crackling, I could still tell when I got good hits. The 1280X was the last unit I used at the beaches, and although I still had chatter in the wet sand and shallow surf, I had no problem distinguishing solid hits and pulling targets up from down deep.

gravediggermax-vabeachva

Bronze Member
Nov 24, 2005
va beach, va
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
se pro, excal. II, ctx 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the zone

Z is the damp stuff

Attachments