$130,000 in 1792 value- Maryland

wwace

Jan 4, 2006
Anchorage AK
Detector(s) used
Exterra 70, Etrac, AT Pro
I also realize that 99% of the Spanish gold came from South and Central America. I have seen the remains of Spanish prospecting in Arizona and understand that they found some gold here, it is just unlikely that much of that same gold found its way into the hands of the slave buyers and sellers along the Eastern seaboard. How many 18th century gold coins have been found by forum members if gold was so abundant in eastern US?

My point is only that $130,000/557lbs of gold was such a ridiculously large sum of money/gold in 1792. So large in fact that it would have amounted to 2.5% of the budget for the USA at the time. Such a sum would likely only be available to a Country. I am not saying it is impossible, only extremely unlikely.

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
By the way, the north end of the island is not state, it is federal. There is only a very small portion of the island (just after you go over the bridge onto Assateague) that is state. On either side of that (north and south) it's federal. So, the extreme north part of the island is off limits to metal detectors. I live about 10 minutes from there and would like to hear more about this mistress. Thanks for the info.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
When you cross the bridge you are on federal land. The state portion is East of that and north of that . It's like the NE tip of the island. I have worked the state portion almost to the tip. Frank

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
you were very lucky then, because the northern 4 miles of the island is federal. the only part that is state, is just across the bridge and a bit south. I am 100% absolutely positive of that. They can confiscate your vehicle and fine you up to $5000.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
I stayed in the state campground and worked a lot of beech for several days and never came upon a federal marker on the beech. Frank

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
yeah, that's the tricky part. There are no markers. The state part of the park is where there are lifeguards. The rest is federal. It's just over the bridge, a little to the north, then a bit to the south where it's state. The state part is open for metal detecting just a very little time of the year and it's usually packed with detectorists at those times. The rest is very off limits. There is so much to be found there, it's ridiculous. I walk the beach and find coins with my eyes. Can't imagine how much would be found detecting. It's so frustrating. We go there just about every weekend since we are just minutes away.

OP
OP
Frankn

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Jeric2, are you we are talking about the same beach? I went there opening day for detectors and had the beach to myself and my PI for 2 hours. I came out after 8 hours later with one penny and I think one dime total finds. About 12 other THs showed later and found nothing. I find it hard to believe this beach was not hunted all summer with the volume of people I have seen on that beach. Frank

jeric2

May 29, 2003
Eastern Shore, Maryland
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Assateague in Maryland. The T-hunter club down here always goes. I'm surprised if there were few there. Not much old to be found there anymore. At least on that little section of beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread