134 COINS, 3 RINGS FROM 2 NEIGHBORHOOD YARDS (LOTS OF PICS)

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all,

I took the day off from the lawn service, so what better way to spend it doing something you really enjoy.

I got permission to search a few yards today just down the street, so I began scanning the front yard of yard #1. My first dig was an old cap gun that fell apart when I pulled it out of the ground. I had only been there maybe 2 minutes when my second strong signal sounded, close to where I found the cap gun near the front porch area. About 2 inches down was this big .925 silver ring:

JUN12.jpg

JUN8.jpg

The inside reads 925 CNA and THAILAND. If anyone knows what the CNA means please let me know!

Having such a good start, I didn't think I'd be topping that in your average 1950's neighborhood yard, but I did come up with 4 wheat pennies and clad in both the front and back yards. I also found these three Carnival Cruise Line tokens in the front yard.

JUN7.jpg

On the side of the yard was an area of dirt right next to the carport..grass couldn't grow there if it wanted to because of the shade. I pulled up probably a dozen pennies very close to the surface..a few were wheats and they were almost sitting on the surface! I also found a very small adjustable wrench, an old key and an old dog tag.

JUN4.jpg

JUN3.jpg

I ended up with 4 wheats total with no silver coinage, but I did have a nice heavy silver ring.

The second yard was even better..especially the back yard..early on I pulled up this 1974 redline Hot Wheels Sand Drifter..Hot Wheels vehicles went from spectraflame paint to enamel in 1973, so the paint held up incredibly well for being underground for 30 years.

JUN5.jpg

After finding more toy cars (including a few 1950's Tootsie Toy vehicles) I found a small hoard of pennies, all buried in an area about 10 inches square near the corner of the back yard...a few were modern Lincoln memorials, the other 14 or so were wheats. After finding a few more stray wheats out back, I ended up with a total of 25.

JUN11.jpg

I had gone home to take a short break and drop off the kids at the pool..I went back to the same back yard of the second house and found 2 more rings - a child's ring and another 925 silver. So in one day I came up with rings #29, #30 and #31 for the year. Including the 3 tokens, I ended up with 134 coins (81 Lincoln Memorials, 25 wheats, 1 1979 Canadian penny, 1 Jefferson nickel, 10 Roosevelt dimes and 13 quarters.

JUN9.jpg

JUN10.jpg

JUN6.jpg

Here's all the toys I found today

JUN2.jpg

Before I threw them out, I wanted to show what cap guns look like after being in the ground for about 40 years..one "flaked" apart and you could see the chrome actually peeling off.

JUN13.jpg

It's back to work tomorrow..I can hardly wait to check yard #3 sometime this weekend.

HH,
Nat

Upvote 0

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
Wow dude!! Awesome day out there, congrats!

Man, you found a whole parking garage full of cars today. Sweet.

That huge ring is a keeper, nice filligree ring. That stone is something else... I had some food poisoning yesterday and today and looking at it sort of turns my tummy...lol.

I think CNA means Chinese National Army and they just called , they want their ring back or else. ;D ;D

WTG on all the great digs today and the high clad/coin count.
You were really workin it today my friend. Thumbs up to you!
I am really happy for ya!

Smiles!
BDoo

Sheldius

Mar 15, 2007
Bronx, NY
Detector(s) used
Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Minelab E-trac, Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great job. If I found that many cars in one day, I'd bet my wife would start MDing too. Those always seem to excite her more than anything else.

HH.

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
great finds nat ! looks like you had some real good luck ;)

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nat,

That a lot of digging, but the finds are awesome. Love the filigree ring...looks antique looking.

;) RR

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Boobydoo said:
I think CNA means Chinese National Army and they just called , they want their ring back or else.

:D :D :D

Sheldius said:
If I found that many cars in one day, I'd bet my wife would start MDing too. Those always seem to excite her more than anything else.

Maybe I should send her some..I have a whole shoebox of the darned things..some are antiques and some were around when I was a kid..amazing how kids just leave them out and forget them..kinda sad..

weasel606 said:
Great finds nat ! looks like you had some real good luck ;)

True..the chances of finding a decent ring in someone's yard the first 2 minutes of searching are slim to none..I was just at the right place at the right time!

Nick Papageorgio said:
It was 90 plus degrees today...WOW...that's a lot of diggin'

I rarely hunt when it's hot..finding that ring around 8 a.m. got my energy up in a hurry. Plus the house was right up the street..ran home a couple of times to hydrate myself, re-applied the sunscreen and back I went!

Thanks everyone, I enjoyed the hunt and also sharing the details of my day with you!

Nat

DANGLANGLEY

Silver Member
Oct 3, 2006
Wartburg, Tennessee, U.S.A.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250, Tesoro Tiger Shark, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice big silver ring there!...Hey, you got enough toy cars to start a great collection already. Nice big hoard of wheat's too. Dang you did good!!!
You deserved that haul today...HOT HOT HOT!!!

Attachments

• license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 536
  • license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    license_20070506191514_50783.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 497

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Great haul! That is a huge number of cars, I've never found more than one a day. I think the CNA means CALL NAT AWESOME!

Bertman

Apr 13, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Minelab E-Trac
Great post Natman... Those rings are really nice.. Thanks for sharing...

HH Robert

R

RUDY2003

Thats a great ring natman. Nice pile of coin and a mini used car lot too.
Good luck on #3....

Keep safe...

roswellborn

Jan 9, 2006
Washington state
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Holy cats, nat!

I'm sitting here wondering where in Hazelwood you live! No, I'm not gonna poach, honest! But here in Overland, in a blue-collar neighborhood, the best I've done is bent nails, a little bit of silverware and a canning jar lid.

That's awesome - ya did good!

HH
Nan

Baldingboy

Bronze Member
May 17, 2007
Southeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE Professional with 6" Coil
Hey Nat:

Where in Missouri do you live? (It is MO isn't it?) I am from Jackson Missouri.

By the way. Great Haul. Would love to have a day like that!!!

T

OP
OP
Natman

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Prober said:
Great haul! That is a huge number of cars, I've never found more than one a day. I think the CNA means CALL NAT AWESOME!

Thank you Sir, you are too kind!

roswellborn said:
I'm sitting here wondering where in Hazelwood you live! No, I'm not gonna poach, honest! But here in Overland, in a blue-collar neighborhood, the best I've done is bent nails, a little bit of silverware and a canning jar lid.

Nan, Overland has some older houses too...find a vacant house with a RE sign in the yard, then call the agent, tell them about your hobby and ask if you can get their permission to check the yard..I do it all the time and hardly have anyone tell me no! Good luck!

Baldingboy said:
Hey Nat: Where in Missouri do you live? (It is MO isn't it?) I am from Jackson Missouri.

Look under my picture..the city is about 20 miles NW of St. Louis.

Thanks to everyone for the nice words!

HH,
Nat

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sfinder said:
Very nice finds! I had a small adjustable wrench like that on a key chain once.

I had the same key chain.

Nat,
Nice finds....I've never seen that many toy cars found in one day of hunting and congrats on the rings.

NJ

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread