never found a nickel till today

Stormin Norman

Jun 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
ok, something is wrong with my detector, ive metal detcted 6 years and never found a nickel unless i saw it on the ground. So today i set out to a campground that has been good luck for me the past few days. I have a Whites Classic I so it has no target I.D.... just beeps. So i messed around with the frequency setting a bit while there. I ended up pulling 45 nickels out of the ground. nothing else (except one thing). 45 nickels...no pennies...no quarters...just nickels.

The one other thing i did find was a 1943 steel wheat penny. The thing is in pitiful shape, working on cleaning it, when its clean i may put up a pic...its not rare or anything is it? i know the copper 1943 wheat pennies are.

Upvote 0

captain Jack

Sep 26, 2006
Richmond, Va
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
don't know about the year, but run a magnet over it. a small # of those pennies were actually aluminum. If the magnet doesn't attract it, you may have something. someone else on here may know some more about it.

seas1to2

May 17, 2006
fl
worth about 10 cent in good shape but a neat find.I found 1 a few months ago in a dirt parking lot, just reach down to pick up a coin an later that day I notice it was silver color, hard find with a metal detector because I never dig steel.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hey Norm, does you Classic I have a "coin range" and a "ring range"? If it does, set it on "ring range". My Classic II never picked up a nickel (or a gold ring for that matter) for years because I had it set for coins and it would eliminate most trash..lowering the discrimination allowed me to dig up more trash, but I also was beginning to find those gold rings as well as nickels.

HH,
Nat

OP
OP
Stormin Norman

Stormin Norman

Jun 2, 2007
New Hampshire
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm II
Natman said:
Hey Norm, does you Classic I have a "coin range" and a "ring range"? If it does, set it on "ring range". My Classic II never picked up a nickel (or a gold ring for that matter) for years because I had it set for coins and it would eliminate most trash..lowering the discrimination allowed me to dig up more trash, but I also was beginning to find those gold rings as well as nickels.

HH,
Nat

precisely

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Forgot to mention, mine has a SENS button on the right, and it's always on "P" (turned to the right).

When mine was on coin range and SENS was on P, I'd find everything except nickels and gold. Moving the knob back to ring range while leaving the SENS knob on P should allow you to find every kind of coin.

Nat

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Wow, save those settings! I've never found 45 nickels at one time in my life. You know what that means also, don't you? If there was any gold around you would have found it. I find it very odd you found nothing but nickels; totally weird! I'd super glue the controls in place and use this detector only for nickels-gold. :)

weasel606

Silver Member
Jan 28, 2007
West Virginia, USA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 70 ,Bounty Hunter Landstar, Garrett ACE 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
sounds like your learning more about your md and getting set up pretty good ! nice finds ;)

Prober

Bronze Member
Apr 11, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's M6, Bullseye II, Ace250
Those silver colored pennies were quite plentiful. 43 plain 684,628,670; 43D 217,660,000; 43S 191,550,000.
Back when I lived in NY state I worked with a guy that showed me a little glass piggy bank he had and it was crammed full with those silver pennies. He wouldn't give them up. I don't think I'd want my detector to only find nickels...I like those quarters, halves, and dollars too much to give them up. ;D

Dman

Silver Member
Feb 10, 2006
Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EXPLORER SE
Did you dig only nickels? Did you get any trash or pulltabs?
Dman

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread