13oz pile of gold dust! some of our bullion operations take a look.

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
I just follow my nose!...where the silver and gold goes!
Minelab 5000, Goldmaster, and a few others
XRF spectrometer, Common sense.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
here is something fun to take a look at, its 13 oz of gold dust.
just something most dont get to see everyday unless you do my job.
sorry I have not posted more of late but I have been so darn busy processing gold and silver into bars and coins and other products I just have not had the time to post pics of all cool stuff I have been doing.

But what I have been up too lately has been fun.
Its not often you get to see the difference of the same weight of gold to silver next too each other, I included a pic of that.
some of my operations I have to keep secerate for obvious reasons but there is also a picture of some of the gold after blanks have been punched for making coin.
as well as some of the piles upon piles of silver bullion we have been making for investors...talk about an unquenchable thirst for bullion right now.

Anyway. Have not gotten much sleep of late but just wanted to share.
also, we have been doing quite a few peoples gold into coins of late.
this coming year we are going to have a 1/4 1/2 and full ounce gold coin that features and will be made from only placer gold, so if youve got it. we can make it into what you need it too be.
have fun on the tour.

David

Attachments

• GOLDPLE.jpg
    GOLDPLE.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 7,629
  • GOLDSILVERRATIO.jpg
    GOLDSILVERRATIO.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 2,434
  • 50osscale1.jpg
    50osscale1.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 2,304
  • 50osscale2.jpg
    50osscale2.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 2,343
  • swisscheese.jpg
    swisscheese.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 2,407
  • silverpiles.jpg
    silverpiles.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 2,383
Upvote 0
OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
most of the gold and silver follows spot to a degree, but is always over. My cost to get it is always over.
The only time you can get any metal under spot is if you find someone who is desperate and you can get it second hand.
For manufacturers the prices are always over, you have the cost of the metal, the production costs etc.
there are a few prices when it comes to metals, there is the imaginary paper price that you can look up on the internet. there is the physical raw price guys like me can buy it, always over, then there is the order and have it shipped too you price. And there there is the I have it right now in front of you available to buy now price.
The only way to get metals at the spot price or less is second hand or if your buying them as material to be refined.
I price my silver at $2 to $2.50 per ounce over spot And at that I only make 50 cents to 75 cents per ounce. The price can swing that much in a day.

silvercop

Silver Member
Dec 30, 2008
VALLEY ALABAMA
Detector(s) used
GARRETT GTA 500
hey one more thing. i was watching a show on the history channel some time ago about the west point mint and how they made gold and silver coins. wish i had of recorded it but anyway they were showing how they don't waste any gold at all and how all the workers had to walk in and out of metal detectors at the beginning and ending of shifts. they also had to wear special kinds of boots that did not have any tread in them so that gold could get stuck in between. they were also rquired to wear a special kind of work clothes that they have to change into. after the shift is over they have to shower with all the clothes on and the water goes down the drain and into a gold trap. i also saw that they recycle all those gold cutouts like you have a picture of. i guess you guys do all that too. they had all the bases covered. i could not think of one way to get any scrap gold out of there. guess it has all been tried before. i was also amazed at some of the salaries that the workers at the mints make. guess you have to pay them well to keep them honest.

OP
OP
jewelerdave

jewelerdave

Aug 29, 2007
Fort Collins, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
well, lets put it this way, we do our best to save as much gold as possible and scrap etc, there is a point where it can go too far for returns.

First example, even though I am anal about cleaning up gold dust from savings etc. 2 years worth of sweeping the floor and saving polishings up and putting it all into one drum yeiled over $9000 when the bucket got full. Thats a two person operation. And saving all big and visible sweeps and processing them in house.

Second example, even though I dust off, any time I rent one of those floor wet-vacs carpet cleaners for my home...home mind you, I find enough gold panning out the dirt sucked up that it pays for the rental of the machine, usually a gram a year. thats at home and not at work.
So yes I have no doubt and I know I track and leave gold all over the place. But as just myself its not worth going though the extremes at my level.
At a government mint level, I can see the need for all the precautions. Gold can contaminate everything and get everywhere when your working with it all the time.

This is why some companies love going into jewelry stores and ripping up the carpet. or in pawn shops where they file rings to acid test them.
Just the other day at a shop I told them, "you know you should file all that testing into a jar or a bucket, you will be amazed!"
the replay was just. You can buy this carpet when I leave here, hows that.

Now thats what I call pay dirt.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
jewelerdave said:
Second example, even though I dust off, any time I rent one of those floor wet-vacs carpet cleaners for my home...home mind you, I find enough gold panning out the dirt sucked up that it pays for the rental of the machine, usually a gram a year. thats at home and not at work.
So yes I have no doubt and I know I track and leave gold all over the place.

I wouldn't mind being your shadow, have a need for another one? ;D

Shtrider728

Jan 23, 2009
I must say that Iam envious.It would be nice to find my first nugget.I came close one time,but the moskitoes were too fierce,wasnt prepared for them.You know West Nile and Encephalitice.Otherwise I would just trudged on.But one day I just may find a bit of treasure.Just gotta keep at it. Thanks of the photos

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread