14 year old finds and returns valuable ring

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
The other day a neighbor of ours was down to see my wife, and as I had just finished cleaning my finds from my latest hunt, I showed her what I had found - some silver coins and a sterling silver ring. Barb, our neighbor, then asked how to tell if a ring is real (gold or platinum and real diamonds) or just a fake, because her son Sam had found a ring with lots of stones that looked like diamonds lying in the middle of the street near their house. I told her that I could check the inside of the ring with my loupe to see if it is marked inside, and she said she'd bring it back down later. Barb said that her son was going to post some flyers to see if anyone in our neighborhood had lost a ring, but that he was hoping nobody would claim it so that he could sell it and buy a new bike (an enterprising young lad!).

In the meantime, I checked the messages on our answering machine, and there was a message from another neighbor asking if we had found her wedding band at our house after she had been here for a small party my wife had thrown a few days earlier. Ding ding ding ding - the bells started going off in my head, so I went down to Barb's house to let her know that the other neighbor had left a message saying that she had lost her wedding band. Barb and Sam brought the ring out to show me, and holy cow it was a really nice old heirloom of a wedding band with eight or ten diamonds going three quarters of the way around the band. Although I couldn't find a stamp inside, I could tell that it had been resized, so maybe the stamp got lost with the resizing of the ring. Anyways, I told Barb and Sam about the message that we had received, and Sam returned the ring.

Other than a very genuine THANK YOU, I don't think there was any reward involved, but I know that knowing he did the right thing was reward enough for Sam.

I just wanted to relay this story here, because it made me really happy to know that there are good people out there, including young kids who would very much like to have a new bike, who don't hesitate to do the right thing.

Way to go Sam!!!

Jim

Upvote 0

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WTG on being an honest detectorists :wink: :icon_sunny: Sam is the hero, even though he had inspirations of selling it and buying a bicycle :'(

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Tell Sam he did the right thing and all of us are proud of him :thumbsup: Is he interested in metal detecting? Maybe you could take him out and show him a thing or 2 and he could find one he could keep.

HH Charlie

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
How much is the bike he wants?

Nat

mad57

Greenie
Apr 24, 2009
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites xlt spectrum
im in ill donate $20 to buying the kid a bike anybody else/? good job son.

Marc(NB)

Apr 21, 2008
N.B. Canada
Detector(s) used
currently use Sov XS2A Pro,Ace 250,past detectors Garrett 1000 PM,Whites Prizm 2,Fisher 1280X,Tesoro Golden Umax
that young man deserves a bike!

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
That is a good deed and as they say no good deed should go unturned.....I think. Anyway, if there is going to be a donation to get that young man a bike, put me down for 20 bucks and let me know where to send it.

Greg D

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I'm in...let's get the kid his bike!

Nat

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
Sounds good to me count me in for 20 towards the bike. Pm me if this gets off the ground with info. But we require a picture of Sam with his new bike posted here.

Great story, needs a better ending though.

HH,

Dave

OP
OP
time4me

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Thanks for all of your kind words towards Sam. He is a really good kid, and I'm sure he knows he did a very good deed.

Thank you also for your offers to put together a reward for Sam. I don't really feel comfortable collecting money from forum members, but THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for your offers - it just goes to show you what a great community we have here!!! I'll also share this thread with him at some point soon so he can see how treasure hunters feel about his good deed.

Jim

Discrimination Dave

Sep 18, 2008
Primary Interest:
Other
Dern!
so much for donating.
I'm really surprised that sombody didnt offer him just a little something. Heck he is 14!

Your a good Man Sam

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
This is such a great site, the people here are wonderful, Pegleglooker just sent my daughter that Peace dollar, and here is a chance to give back for a great cause, a good kid, if the bike donation gets off the ground, I am in too. I think it should be done and from where I am sitting it just seems right for me to help out. T.

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think we got $100 now...I say let's do it and give him a summer he'll remember for a long time.

Nat

S

stefen

Great integrity...add another $20 to the pile....let me know who & where the collection point is :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread