14 year old finds and returns valuable ring

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
The other day a neighbor of ours was down to see my wife, and as I had just finished cleaning my finds from my latest hunt, I showed her what I had found - some silver coins and a sterling silver ring. Barb, our neighbor, then asked how to tell if a ring is real (gold or platinum and real diamonds) or just a fake, because her son Sam had found a ring with lots of stones that looked like diamonds lying in the middle of the street near their house. I told her that I could check the inside of the ring with my loupe to see if it is marked inside, and she said she'd bring it back down later. Barb said that her son was going to post some flyers to see if anyone in our neighborhood had lost a ring, but that he was hoping nobody would claim it so that he could sell it and buy a new bike (an enterprising young lad!).

In the meantime, I checked the messages on our answering machine, and there was a message from another neighbor asking if we had found her wedding band at our house after she had been here for a small party my wife had thrown a few days earlier. Ding ding ding ding - the bells started going off in my head, so I went down to Barb's house to let her know that the other neighbor had left a message saying that she had lost her wedding band. Barb and Sam brought the ring out to show me, and holy cow it was a really nice old heirloom of a wedding band with eight or ten diamonds going three quarters of the way around the band. Although I couldn't find a stamp inside, I could tell that it had been resized, so maybe the stamp got lost with the resizing of the ring. Anyways, I told Barb and Sam about the message that we had received, and Sam returned the ring.

Other than a very genuine THANK YOU, I don't think there was any reward involved, but I know that knowing he did the right thing was reward enough for Sam.

I just wanted to relay this story here, because it made me really happy to know that there are good people out there, including young kids who would very much like to have a new bike, who don't hesitate to do the right thing.

Way to go Sam!!!

Jim

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

slykatt13

May 16, 2009
ny
Detector(s) used
minelab xterra 50/minelab safari
if it was a valuble ring you would think that neighbor would have bought him a new bike for returning it.its better to lose a couple hundred bucks than a couple thousand.but thats just my opinion

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
I got a thank you card in the mail today. When I opened it I found out it was from Sam. He was thanking me for contributing to his bike fund. It was great to be able to take part in this little lesson and that Sam seemed to appreciate it also.

HH,

Dave

Natman

Bronze Member
Jan 8, 2007
Hazelwood, MO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm II, White's Coinmaster
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got my Thank You card also...it made my day!

Even if he doesn't have enough for the bike, I think a $120 reward aint too shabby!

Nat

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Still an opportunity to contribute? Not often you hear about kids doing the right thing, just those that do the worst. I would like to send a $20 as well. I would rather spend that money on something good than something I can't remember I spent it on!

Minstrel

Oct 12, 2008
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Detector(s) used
Garrett-GTI-2500
The boy deserves a reward---give me an address (mail or Paypal) and I will add a $20 bill to the pile.
I am more than willing to put my trust in a TNet-er for $20. PM Me with needed info.

Minstrel

gregd573

Oct 23, 2005
eldridge, missouri
I received a thank you card from Sam today. Although there was no thanks necessary, it is a welcome site to see that there are still young people with values. Thak you Sam, and I hope you get the bike that you want.

Take care,
Greg

T

trish76642

Awww, STANDING OVATION FOR SAM....AND FOR YOU GUYS!!! YALL ARE THE BEST!!!....WOW what GREAT PEOPLE!

:wav:

Mental Granny

Gold Member
May 8, 2005
Cherokee Strip
Detector(s) used
Cibola
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
slykatt maybe that neighbor could not afford to bye him a bike as was said he was happy just to be able to give her the ring she had lost, this is a great thread he is a great kid being raised right to do the right thing with out expecting anything in return, and look what happened he has been blessed by more than just if she had given him something you tell him he is going to be a fine young man when he grows up! And you get him out there detecting! :icon_thumleft:

JP

Bronze Member
May 5, 2006
Florida & San Salvador, El Salvador
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Infinium LS, Garrett Sea Hunter II, Ace 250 (for my 12 year old son)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was really nice of the boy to look for the owner of the ring. I'm sure he will grow up to be a good person, something we need in this world. I know one can't go through life being rewarded for every good deed that they do, but I do believe though that the owner should have offered him something beyond a thank you, even if a token amount.

Hopefully good karma will follow this guy.

tford62

May 1, 2008
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6
I too received a thank you card from Sam yesterday. A real standup young man. Amazing how many kids today don't even think to send a thank you card in the mail these days. I hadn't even thought about sending the check in a few days and was totally shocked to get the card. I am impressed with you, young man and I hope you get that bike soon. T.

soar697877

Jul 3, 2007
Clarksville, TN
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ultra GTA 350, Garrett Ace 250
Can anyone please give me the mailing address of Sam, the 14 yr old boy in this story?

He did a wonderful thing just by automatically trying to find the real owner of the found ring.
His parents brought this youngin' up right ! Good Job Barb !

Karma is truly majic ;-)

Steve
Clarksville, TN

DMN

Bronze Member
Apr 19, 2009
Never heard back about sending anything. Have you stopped?

drodda777

Mar 13, 2009
Dave, Central Iowa
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Garrett AT-MAX
Send a PM to time4me at the first post in this thread. He is the one who was collecting the donations for Sam.

HH,

Dave

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread