14K old Wedding Band Wading today

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ONLY MINELABS, and now one Detector Pro Underwater.
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
thumbnail (1).jpg thumbnail.jpg

I was thrilled to find this today. Up to my chest in salt water I came across a small patch of signals in an area that couldn't have been more than 2 square feet. Four of the signals were 1 ounce sinkers, all exactly the same. Then a steady, clear 14 on my EOX, it was deep about 8-9" as far as I could tell. Black sand, muck and clay with shells and this ring on top. there are two sets of initials on the inside clear as day but the date is unusual , 24/Xl/09, after the 09 there is something else that looks like a script letter "R". thumbnail (2).jpg I know how to read Roman numerals but it doesn't make sense to me why a date would be engraved like that. One of the clearest engravings I've ever found and I'm not sure what the date is. If you know how to read it please let me know. Thanks

Upvote 37
OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
24th of November, 1909 possibly ?

jewelerguy

Gold Member
Jun 28, 2011
Oklahoma
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that's really nice. My best guess would be that it represents the date of November 24th, 1909, although I've never seen or even heard of a date being formatted like that. I believe if it was older (meaning 1809) it would most likely be a higher karat

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
that's really nice. My best guess would be that it represents the date of November 24th, 1909, although I've never seen or even heard of a date being formatted like that. I believe if it was older (meaning 1809) it would most likely be a higher karat

It took me forever to get a picture without glare, I don't think I would've been able to describe it.

Relicgrubber

Silver Member
Nov 3, 2018
Deep East Texas
Detector(s) used
O.G. XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The design looks to be hand carved and it does look like a higher karat of gold judging by the color. Did it test 14K or is it marked as such? Early 1800's probably... Nice save!

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
The design looks to be hand carved and it does look like a higher karat of gold judging by the color. Did it test 14K or is it marked as such? Early 1800's probably... Nice save!

I should have taken a picture of the Karat mark to include, but it is marked 14K and the makers mark is the sideways "W" after the K. at this location it is much more likely 1909. And it does look hand engraved to me.

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow thats killer !! Nice find. Congrats !!

OP
OP
mike b

mike b

Sep 21, 2012
STATEN ISLAND NY
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Super nice!! in the pic it looks like it doesn't have much wear?

Very crisp looking for the age. The bottom at this beach can be gravel and sand, shells and silt, thick clay (Red or Gray). Some rings come out near perfect, some are worn in half.

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's too cool

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice ring!! Here in the US we write dates month-day-year. In Europe they write dates day-month-year, nothing unusual about it being written that way although the use of Arabic and Roman numerals is unusual. Yes, the numerals were use today are Arabic.

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice ring!! Here in the US we write dates month-day-year. In Europe they write dates day-month-year, nothing unusual about it being written that way although the use of Arabic and Roman numerals is unusual. Yes, the numerals were use today are Arabic.

Again, congrats on another beautiful vintage gold ring Mike !! I agree with "gunsil". Europeans write the date that way,
but I find the Roman numeral curious. I have never seen that. Keep those great water finds a comin' !!

Here's something I just found that might answer our questions:
" People all over Europe still customarily use Roman numerals to write months, whatever ISO standards say. "
From this link: https://history.stackexchange.com/questions/5655/writing-month-with-roman-numbers

Last edited:

tnt-hunter

Bronze Member
Apr 20, 2018
Mountain Maryland
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ-21, Minelab Equinix 800, ,Garret AT Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on a beautiful little gold ring. It is one of the nicest looking ones I have seen for a long time. It looks like Jose The Goon found the explanation for the configuration of the date. Stay safe and keep swingin.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very Nice!!!!! Congrats!!!!!