🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't been able to hunt for 6-8 weeks due to moving and working 6 days a week. Well, today was no different, still working on getting settled and getting the place cleaned up. Today's task was demolishing an old out building that was used to raise quail.
After removing the roof and all the siding, it was time to take up the plywood from the floor. One corner had pieces of plywood already loose and rotten. Under the plywood there was dirt between the joists, I stepped on the dirt in the one corner and it caved in about 5-6 inches. My wife and I thought the plywood had rotted and was covered by the dirt because the dirt moved in all directions when you pushed on the dirt.

I didn't give it much thought and continued to rip up the rest of the floor. I went back the spot where I had sunk in and was going to dig out what I thought was some of the flooring.
Here's where the fun started. I started wiping the dirt back and saw the edge of a piece of metal. I thought, ducting, or he had reinforced that corner for some reason. I took my prybar and starting to dig whatever this was out of the dirt.
Within a minute I realized I was digging up an aluminum box because the first thing I saw was a handle. I'm getting real excited now, I'm thinking it was loaded with cash. Get it out and have to force the lid up because I had smashed it down when I stepped on it. I open it and .....empty, damn it!! I called the wife over to take a look, the bottom is cover in dirt and mud and she see's a round thing and say's" hey it's coin.

It was stuck to the bottom and dirty, as soon as I got it loose, I saw it was silver!!! Happy days, haven't seen a silver coin in a long time. I start moving the muck around and find another and another, holy moly, multiple silver day baby!!
I take it over to the faucet and start cleaning it out and there's more coins stuck to the bottom. I'm on cloud nine right now, but, I sure was hoping to see some gold!!! After cleaning the box, I found 15 silver coins total, not a bad day in my book. Nothing old, but, silver is silver.
I've read story's like this and always wanted to find a stash.

It's not a hoard, but, it sure was exciting. I'm keeping the box as a souvenir. The building was visible from all the windows on the back of the house, just like Karl Von Mueller wrote about. Thanks for looking.

Attachments

• 2 coins.jpg
    2 coins.jpg
    366.6 KB · Views: 115
  • 2 coin.jpg
    2 coin.jpg
    380 KB · Views: 109
  • fresh dug.jpg
    fresh dug.jpg
    411.7 KB · Views: 154
  • 5 coins.jpg
    5 coins.jpg
    386.8 KB · Views: 107
  • hand full of coins.jpg
    hand full of coins.jpg
    334.8 KB · Views: 149
  • all coins.jpg
    all coins.jpg
    330.5 KB · Views: 223
Upvote 59

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great story and saves on the silver coins. Well Done and good eye.......and foot.

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great post, love the story! Well found :occasion14: I can imagine the excitement when you found that box. Congrats

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your nice discovery..it’s a moment that you will always remember

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
WoW! Great Find!!!:hello2:

Squirrel322

Silver Member
Jul 4, 2016
Central MI
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Equinox 800, Go-Find 66, ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s an AWESOME find!

A box that size buried with only 15 coins in it? I wonder if it originally had some paper money (rotten away long ago) too?

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
What a great cache find. Excellent!:occasion14:

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!!!! Nice Surprise!!!! Congrats!!!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
When burying a stash like that, it makes sense to bury it in an out building. You don't want anyone seeing you bury it or go to it later to add more. Nosey neighbors might steal it. Gary

ANTIQUARIAN

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2010
Upper Canada 🇨🇦
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Lesche Piranha 35 Shovel & 'Garrett Carrot'
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for posting your 'renovation find' Dan. :thumbsup:
Don't we all wish that we could find a box of silver coins whenever we renovated, I know I'd certainly reno more often. :laughing7:

It looks like the latest date is 1964, any thoughts on when or why this small cache of silver was stored here?
It almost looks like a cash box, I wonder why there weren't any paper bills in there?
Dave

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Cool find? What was the latest date on the coins? Look around for more. You say it's not a "hoard", it was someone's hoard!

OP
OP
Dan(NM)

Dan(NM)

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2014
Central Texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Modified Explorer 2
Raptor c-31 digger
31" Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When burying a stash like that, it makes sense to bury it in an out building. You don't want anyone seeing you bury it or go to it later to add more. Nosey neighbors might steal it. Gary

Here's a pic of the coins cleaned up.

Attachments

• clean coins.jpg
    clean coins.jpg
    385.6 KB · Views: 78

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions