15 Wheats, SIlver, and GOLD!

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
Hello all!

I was in NYC working all week and came home with a cold and it rained 23 hours in southern connecticut yesterday....

So... it had been 7 days since I touched my Etrac.... I headed out to a local school built in the 30's that I had spent very little time at...

The wheat pennies piled up today.... 15 of them! '35, '37, '40, '41, '41, '41, '41, '42, '45, '45, '45, '46, '50D, '56D, and '56D

15wheats.jpg

One of the wheats was attached to a silver war nickel.... '45D

silvernickelinhole.jpg

You can see the where the penny was sitting under the nickel...

45Dsilvernickle.jpg

Totals for the day were nice... 19 Quarters... 20 Dimes... 5 nickels... and 44 pennies.... 88 coins for $7.44...

1115totals.jpg

On to the gold.... (in the plug...)

1115goldringinplug.jpg

My 1st thought was... wow... not what I was expecting :-)

1115goldring-1.jpg

The hallmark is there.... what the.... XXX and a sideways W .... hmmmm....

1115ringhallmark-1.jpg

Looks like gold... feels like gold.... here is what I found out so far about this hallmark...

There are a few posts around the internet concerning this hallmark...

Mar 29, 2009
CSHartman wrote:
I have a gold band (don't know if real). No gold content marking. Has mark on inside of band with a sideways capital W and then XXX. Can anyone help me?

I HAVE A BAND LIKE THIS TOO. THE W ACCORDING TO MY RESERCH IS FOR THE JR WOOD & SONS JEWELRY COMPANY OF BROOKLYN NY. I WANT TO KNOW WHAT THE XXX STANDS FOR, SO GOOD LUCK AND HOPEFULLY SOMEONE WILL RESPOND.

Interesting - as I have the same type - Mother told me that it had been her fathers but don't know what the imprint means

I also own a similar ring I inherited from my grandmother. After much research I have learned the sideways w stands for J.R. Wood and Sons Jewellers from New York City.

I just purchased a Gaelic Irish 14k wedding band with the same xxx with sideways W. I thought it might be an inscription but don't know. Have you found out what it means yet? Thanks!

Victorian c. 1900 Rose Gold Cigar Band Wedding Ring. Alternating panels of Leaf and Scroll design. Very light etched initials D C (not sure if it's a D). there is a mark inside "XXX with a sideways W".

m707.jpg

Yep.. I assume its gold at this point and will get it to a tester this week :-)

Happy Hunting!
Paul

Upvote 0
OP
OP
FooserPaul

FooserPaul

May 9, 2008
Somewhere in CT
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac
from the Etrac forums on findmall.com

Re: 15 Wheats, SIlver, and GOLD!
Posted by: mike - in [ Send a Message ]
Date: 21 minutes ago Registered: 4 years ago

Go to the link below to find your ring in their original catalog page. These XXX wedding bands are all "solid gold" which usually isn't 24K but 18K. Hope this helps. Mike

http://www.illusionjewels.com/jrwood.html

kimsdad

Silver Member
Apr 17, 2008
Moronica, northwest of Chicago.
Detector(s) used
E-trac & Bounty Hunter Land Star
Great hunt!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :icon_king:

Looks like that war nickel escaped through the tar pits!

Congrats on that great gold ring!!!

I'm still waiting to dig my first non-plated goldie!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread