1559-1560 Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling & Phillip V Pistareen found in VIRGINIA

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1559-1560 Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling & Phillip V Pistareen found in VIRGINIA

What's up my fellow dirt addicts! Here's my finds for this week! Jeff and I returned to this new site that we're working this week and decided to hunt a new area of it. After hunting for a couple hours we thought it was a bust...We were making our way back to the car to go to another area just kinda talking and detecting when I got a signal hitting half-way decent but I had been digging old brass pieces for the past two hours with only 2 three ringers to speak of so I wasn't expecting too much when I popped the plug.....But when I did a Clipped Phillip V Pistareen flew out and landed back down into the hole! That made my day and really wasn't expecting anything better for that day. After this find, miraculously like it always happens, the other finds start coming and within an hour Jeff got himself a quarter piece! :headbang: and we were also digging quite a few buttons.....As the day was ending and it was gettting dark IT HAPPENED! I got a solid signal albeit only hitting at +30 V.D.I. but I had to dig it as it sounded so perfect and sharp.....When I popped the plug I saw a thin round half of silver?? HMMM What's this I thought :icon_scratch: But when I picked it up and the dirt fell away, I could see that it was a very early hammered silver coin that had been Clipped in half.. I had my suspicions that it was a Shilling (but a shilling of who?), after all, these English Hammered coins do pop-up from time to time here in Virginia but seldom; if you're talking colonial Silver here, nine times out of ten it's usually Spanish. After getting home and researching it, I then had my good buddy Silver Searcher Verify and date it: It the EARLIEST Coin/Relic/anything that I've ever dug, a 1500's Clipped Elizabeth Shilling! :o :o :o I doubt I'll EVER dig anything older than this small piece of silver....older than the first Colony at Jamestown here in Virginia established 1607

Here's the pics:

(Video at Bottom of the Pistareen, it was very near dark when I got the Shilling and without a light on my camera phone it was futile to try an record as the entire picture was black):

CIMG0159.jpg

Fresh from the pouch:

MD Pics 952.jpg

1700's Phillip V Clipped Pistareen & 1500's Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling (Before)

MD Pics 960.jpg

MD Pics 962.jpg

Complete Colonial Spectacle Buckle
MD Pics 964.jpg

Buttons
MD Pics 983.jpg

MD Pics 988.jpg

Nipple Button (Biggest one I've ever dug! Crusader assisted me in dating one I dug a couple years ago to the 1600s)

Front
MD Pics 991.jpg

Back
MD Pics 992.jpg

Early 2-Piece Eagle Coat
MD Pics 994.jpg

MD Pics 995.jpg

BULLETS
MD Pics 989.jpg

Buckles

22043_24_10_10_5_07_24_0.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_15_47_0.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_04_13_4.jpeg

Impromptu Sinker
22043_24_10_10_5_07_24_1.jpeg

Standing Liberty and other Modern Silver
(Thought the SLQ was another Reale as the edge was the only thing sticking out from the side of the hole; got the camera out took a pic (*can post on request :laughing9:) and then popped it to reveal alas...not Spanish...Second time its happened to me in a week WITH THE SAME EXACT COIN: A Standing Liberty!)

22043_24_10_10_5_07_24_2.jpeg

Example of a whole Elizabeth I Shilling
S2555-1__01.jpg
S2555-1__0B.jpg

1559-1560 Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling (Cleaned)

22043_24_10_10_5_11_38_3.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_11_38_1.jpeg

1700s Phillip V Clipped One Reale Pistareen (Cleaned)

22043_24_10_10_5_04_13_3.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_04_13_2.jpeg

Phillip V Clipped Pisatreen & Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling (After)

22043_24_10_10_5_04_12_1.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_04_12_0.jpeg

GROUP SHOT
22043_24_10_10_5_07_25_4.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_07_25_3.jpeg

VIDEO

Upvote 0

sscindercoop

Silver Member
Apr 14, 2009
Central New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1500's Silver in VIRGINIA: Elizabeth I First Issue (1559-1560) Clipped Shilling

Sweet buckles :icon_thumleft:

U

umrgolf

Re: 1500's Silver in VIRGINIA: Elizabeth I First Issue (1559-1560) Clipped Shilling

Glad you finally got an i.d. on the silver Josh. You are one of a handful of people to have 1500's silver from the US. Congrats on some sweet finds man.. Hope there's one more there tomorrow :thumbsup:

teleman 2525

Bronze Member
May 9, 2010
newport vermont
Detector(s) used
whites xlt minelab explorer se pro

realy nice old finds

sekypaleo

Jan 24, 2010
Cincinnati Ohio
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2 with 13" Ultimate coil, AKA Sorex Pro, Eurotek Pro, Garrett Pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Very nice digs!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Very nice hunt, great looking buckles and the cut silvers. :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

umrgolf2010 said:
sscindercoop said:
Sweet buckles :icon_thumleft:

:icon_scratch:

Glad you finally got an i.d. on the silver Josh. You are one of a handful of people to have 1500's silver from the US. Congrats on some sweet finds man.. Hope there's one more there tomorrow :thumbsup:

Thanks brutha and partner in crime :wink: We will definitely go back out there tomorrow and give it all we got!!!

SouthJerseyJim

Jan 8, 2009
Nova Cæsarea
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 LTD 13" Detech
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WOW! Try and top that oldie.If I lived down by you guys more sick days would be devoted to detecting and not to striper fishing! :headbang:

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

All I can say is Wow! How lucky you are to have such an early site to hunt. How big is the area you are hunting? Needless to say, you guys have to really slow down and hunt literally every inch of ground, and if posssible hunt any adjoining woods or land. There's usually random drops in the adjoining areas. Even if you don't get a single signal for a half hour/hour in the outer areas, don't give up, because with an area that old, all you need is one good 5 to 6 inch deep signal to make it all worth while. Some of my best finds were found in areas with very little targets.

U

umrgolf

bookfisher said:
All I can say is Wow! How lucky you are to have such an early site to hunt. How big is the area you are hunting? Needless to say, you guys have to really slow down and hunt literally every inch of ground, and if posssible hunt any adjoining woods or land. There's usually random drops in the adjoining areas. Even if you don't get a single signal for a half hour/hour in the outer areas, don't give up, because with an area that old, all you need is one good 5 to 6 inch deep signal to make it all worth while. Some of my best finds were found in areas with very little targets.

the field is about 3 acres id say :icon_thumleft: and about 50 acres of woods

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

sweet! bet your not gonna pack up yet :laughing9: very nice silver man! wish somebody woulda banished them (pre)colonial coin clippers back in the day! :'(
sweet spot! and dude....make a longer video next time! quit being a lazy A$$ :tongue3:

bookfisher

Bronze Member
Jun 18, 2005
Long Island, New York

umrgolf2010 said:
bookfisher said:

Please pardon my repetitious use of the word wow, but wow, 50 acres. If you haven't yet done so, get into those woods, cause 200-250 years ago, those woods might have been fields. And even if they weren't fields or used as farm land, people were in there hunting and such, and dropped stuff. Also, why woods can be good to hunt, is that there is usually little modern trash, and when you get a nice 5 inch deep signal you know its old.

U

umrgolf

bookfisher said:
umrgolf2010 said:
bookfisher said:

Please pardon my repetitious use of the word wow, but wow, 50 acres. If you haven't yet done so, get into those woods, cause 200-250 years ago, those woods might have been fields. And even if they weren't fields or used as farm land, people were in there hunting and such, and dropped stuff. Also, why woods can be good to hunt, is that there is usually little modern trash, and when you get a nice 5 inch deep signal you know its old.

funny you mention that, as the owner said the woods WERE plowed farm fields :wink: we haven't touched them yet though ;D We're on our way out there tomorrow, so we hope to turn up some more stuff..

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bookfisher said:

Thanks Bookfisher, I've learned over the years that the BEST targets in many cases, are the ones that don't hit well. You can bet that we will METHODICALLY detect this site as we well do all of our sites. This was the pre-grid phase of the hunt as it was the first day on this particular part of the site, what I like to call "Easter Egg Hunting" :laughing7: We will be griding it the entire day tomorrow :icon_thumleft: :wink:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HEAVYMETALNUT said:
sweet! bet your not gonna pack up yet :laughing9: very nice silver man! wish somebody woulda banished them (pre)colonial coin clippers back in the day! :'(
sweet spot! and dude....make a longer video next time! quit being a lazy A$$ :tongue3:

Longer than that?? ;D Man anything over a minute is like BEN HUR......I can't spend more than that filming....I got to get back to diggin! :laughing7: :wink:

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Congratulations Josh! Those English hammered pieces turn up in your part of Virginia from time to time, so I don't expect this will be your last! I love the cut Spanish and the early colonial buckles too!

KRAZYHORSES

Aug 17, 2010

holy hunt!! nice finds! hh krazyhorses

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve in PA said:
Congratulations Josh! Those English hammered pieces turn up in your part of Virginia from time to time, so I don't expect this will be your last! I love the cut Spanish and the early colonia buckles too!

Thanks Steve! DIV next weekend, you got everything packed up yet! ;D :icon_thumleft: :wink:

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

WOW Josh, that stuff is older than I feel after a full day of relic hunting!!! Some real nice recoveries there. That stuff is older than the rocks in Tennessee. Some coins there I have never seen found. HH, Quindy.

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Outstanding , Josh !!! figured I would check in to see what was found. :icon_scratch: I thought I was looking at one of the UK members thread , until I saw the eagle button , had to double check ;D No , Sentinel ... That silver was hammered years before Capt John Smith was even born ! :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread