1559-1560 Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling & Phillip V Pistareen found in VIRGINIA

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1559-1560 Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling & Phillip V Pistareen found in VIRGINIA

What's up my fellow dirt addicts! Here's my finds for this week! Jeff and I returned to this new site that we're working this week and decided to hunt a new area of it. After hunting for a couple hours we thought it was a bust...We were making our way back to the car to go to another area just kinda talking and detecting when I got a signal hitting half-way decent but I had been digging old brass pieces for the past two hours with only 2 three ringers to speak of so I wasn't expecting too much when I popped the plug.....But when I did a Clipped Phillip V Pistareen flew out and landed back down into the hole! That made my day and really wasn't expecting anything better for that day. After this find, miraculously like it always happens, the other finds start coming and within an hour Jeff got himself a quarter piece! :headbang: and we were also digging quite a few buttons.....As the day was ending and it was gettting dark IT HAPPENED! I got a solid signal albeit only hitting at +30 V.D.I. but I had to dig it as it sounded so perfect and sharp.....When I popped the plug I saw a thin round half of silver?? HMMM What's this I thought :icon_scratch: But when I picked it up and the dirt fell away, I could see that it was a very early hammered silver coin that had been Clipped in half.. I had my suspicions that it was a Shilling (but a shilling of who?), after all, these English Hammered coins do pop-up from time to time here in Virginia but seldom; if you're talking colonial Silver here, nine times out of ten it's usually Spanish. After getting home and researching it, I then had my good buddy Silver Searcher Verify and date it: It the EARLIEST Coin/Relic/anything that I've ever dug, a 1500's Clipped Elizabeth Shilling! :o :o :o I doubt I'll EVER dig anything older than this small piece of silver....older than the first Colony at Jamestown here in Virginia established 1607

Here's the pics:

(Video at Bottom of the Pistareen, it was very near dark when I got the Shilling and without a light on my camera phone it was futile to try an record as the entire picture was black):

CIMG0159.jpg

Fresh from the pouch:

MD Pics 952.jpg

1700's Phillip V Clipped Pistareen & 1500's Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling (Before)

MD Pics 960.jpg

MD Pics 962.jpg

Complete Colonial Spectacle Buckle
MD Pics 964.jpg

Buttons
MD Pics 983.jpg

MD Pics 988.jpg

Nipple Button (Biggest one I've ever dug! Crusader assisted me in dating one I dug a couple years ago to the 1600s)

Front
MD Pics 991.jpg

Back
MD Pics 992.jpg

Early 2-Piece Eagle Coat
MD Pics 994.jpg

MD Pics 995.jpg

BULLETS
MD Pics 989.jpg

Buckles

22043_24_10_10_5_07_24_0.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_15_47_0.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_04_13_4.jpeg

Impromptu Sinker
22043_24_10_10_5_07_24_1.jpeg

Standing Liberty and other Modern Silver
(Thought the SLQ was another Reale as the edge was the only thing sticking out from the side of the hole; got the camera out took a pic (*can post on request :laughing9:) and then popped it to reveal alas...not Spanish...Second time its happened to me in a week WITH THE SAME EXACT COIN: A Standing Liberty!)

22043_24_10_10_5_07_24_2.jpeg

Example of a whole Elizabeth I Shilling
S2555-1__01.jpg
S2555-1__0B.jpg

1559-1560 Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling (Cleaned)

22043_24_10_10_5_11_38_3.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_11_38_1.jpeg

1700s Phillip V Clipped One Reale Pistareen (Cleaned)

22043_24_10_10_5_04_13_3.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_04_13_2.jpeg

Phillip V Clipped Pisatreen & Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling (After)

22043_24_10_10_5_04_12_1.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_04_12_0.jpeg

GROUP SHOT
22043_24_10_10_5_07_25_4.jpeg

22043_24_10_10_5_07_25_3.jpeg

VIDEO

Upvote 0

shaun7

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
uk
Detector(s) used
tesoro eldorado, tesoro lobo,goldmaxx xp
Re: 1559-1560 Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling & Phillip V Pistareen found in VIRGINIA

Are you sure you haven't sneaked over here Josh :laughing7:

Great finds :icon_thumleft:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1559-1560 Elizabeth I Clipped Shilling & Phillip V Pistareen found in VIRGINIA

shaun7 said:

Yeah, 'get off my land' :laughing9:

A day I would be happy with :headbang:

Hunthicks

Oct 22, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

You guys sure do make some crazy nice finds! congrats! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ModernMiner said:
Outstanding finds Josh. :occasion14: You two have found some fantastic spots. You may never dig a coin older than that, but I'm sure you'll amaze us with some more great finds in the future.
CONGRATS!!!!
-Doug-

Thanks Doug :icon_thumleft: :wink:

yo6oej said:
Beautiful finds ;D congrats {Sentinel} :thumbsup:

Thanks yo6oej :thumbsup:

Kirk PA said:
I knew you wouldn't disappoint on this thread. A Hammered silver and spectacle buckle on one hunt is unheard of in the USA. :notworthy: :headbang: It was very well-written and the pictures do your post a total Colonial justice. Wow, what a find and one that you don't see often in the states. Congratulations on a successful 2010 season, my friend. Next time you see Jeff, give him a hand shake and tell him I said Hi. :hello: Thanks for sharing your adventures, Josh!

Kirk

Thanks Brutha, I know, it was a rare day of rare finds. I was happy with the clipped pistareen and then came the Lizzy Shilling and Spectacle Buckle and I really just...well, can you say Cloud 9? I'll give Jeff a handshake for ya and tell him hi ;D :wink:

Argentium said:
Amazing finds Amigo ! I bet you can count on one hand, the number of Lizzy I silvers
found in America - Argentium.

Thanks Argentium, they don't pop up too often here in the States; I'm just lucky to have swung my coil over one of the few and was able to save it from its grave.

civilman1 said:
Beautiful Josh.....never cease to amaze me,great dig's :thumbsup:

Thanks my old friend Joe! Are you ready for DIV?? Steve said he's packing up as we speak. :wink:

shaun7 said:

Thanks Shaun.....Naw, I don't have a boat or plane ;D Just happen to live in an area of the country that was all British in the early days. Many of the residents here still fly the Union Jack and the Old English Cross before the United Kingdom days :wink:

CRUSADER said:
shaun7 said:

Yeah, 'get off my land' :laughing9:

A day I would be happy with :headbang:

Thanks Cru :wink: :wink:

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

16 th century silver ! Wow ! And the buckles and the buttons ! I cannot wait to See what else you pull out of there ! Totally awesome hunt !! MaineRelic

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

You guys are having one hell of a memorable year. The history of your state is what dreams are made of. Keep going Josh. There is still 2 months left on a great year.
Chris

Sniffy

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2009
Connecticut
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Prizm III Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WOW and here I am struggling for a 1600's coin. Seriously, you two guys down there in Virginia are moppin up colonial madness! I love that Trap buckle! SICK!

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000

Fricking unbelievable, Josh! That Lizzy hammered is killer! :headbang: That site is bound to produce some verrrry special artifacts on upcoming hunts!

The J-Team keeps rocking the Colonial world! :headbang:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

What's the J-Team?? :dontknow:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Colonial Copper Zeus said:
You guys are having one hell of a memorable year. The history of your state is what dreams are made of. Keep going Josh. There is still 2 months left on a great year.
Chris

Thanks Chris, Virginia is an incredible state for relics and coins. PA isn't too shabby either! :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Erik in NJ said:
What's the J-Team?? :dontknow:

Oh you don't know?? ::) ::) :laughing7: The "J-Team" is a moniker given to myself and my diggin partner Jeff by our fellow TNet friends on here. Much like Kirk, Kyle and Chris go by "KKC" ;D :wink: :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Kyle PA said:
Fricking unbelievable, Josh! That Lizzy hammered is killer! :headbang: That site is bound to produce some verrrry special artifacts on upcoming hunts!

The J-Team keeps rocking the Colonial world! :headbang:

Thanks dude...This site has produced some of the oldest buttons and buckles I've seen in a long time.

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1500's Silver in VIRGINIA: Elizabeth I First Issue (1559-1560) Clipped Shilling

VOL1266-X said:
WOW Josh, that stuff is older than I feel after a full day of relic hunting!!! Some real nice recoveries there. That stuff is older than the rocks in Tennessee. Some coins there I have never seen found. HH, Quindy.
We ain't even got dirt that old here. :D :D

OMG Senti. Crazy super finds there! You two are diggin' up the good stuff! Always love the videos. :icon_pirat: Good luck at the DIV!

Nana

HISPAN

Gold Member
Mar 15, 2009
Detector(s) used
WHITES MXT ,GARRET ACE150,GARRET SEA HUNT MARK II.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

better not be done :o ... considering that you are from America his post is European.
Greetings! :hello:

OP
OP
{Sentinel}

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

HISPAN said:
better not be done :o ... considering that you are from America his post is European.
Greetings! :hello:

Thanks my Hispan friend :icon_thumleft: :wink:

Nana40 said:
VOL1266-X said:
WOW Josh, that stuff is older than I feel after a full day of relic hunting!!! Some real nice recoveries there. That stuff is older than the rocks in Tennessee. Some coins there I have never seen found. HH, Quindy.
We ain't even got dirt that old here. :D :D

OMG Senti. Crazy super finds there! You two are diggin' up the good stuff! Always love the videos. :icon_pirat: Good luck at the DIV!

Nana
:D :D Thanks Nana, I see you have your Alabama Cadet Corps button on the avatar; NICE! :wink: :icon_thumleft:

Erik in NJ

Silver Member
Oct 4, 2010
The Garden State
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro & CTX-3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Nice finds indeed on the Spanish and British silver! I think someone would be very hard pressed to find an older coin in the Western hemisphere. I thought my 1623 Marevedis cob was old (guess I can't post it), but 16th c. hammered on these shores is amazing! The two finds together are no less than spectacular!! :thumbsup:

billydabeeg

Jun 23, 2010
west michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab explorer, cz6a

Once again you guys killed it. Congrats.

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Got a lot of sweet finds down there!
super Silver!
love the Trap spectacle Buckle, (I dug half of one a ways back)
Great Finds, as usual from the 'Scourge of the Dirt'! keep Pillaging! :hello2:

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Awesome as usual,you guys are in the zone!! :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread