16 Silver Week!!! + 81 wheaties, .925 ring, wheat sandwich...

Captn SE

Silver Member
Apr 1, 2007
Southern CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE; X-1 Target Probe; Pro Coil, 6x8 SEF, Coiltek Platypus Elliptical, Sunray X8, Expl. 1050 coils
Hello everyone,

I had a pretty good week on the oldies at various parks that I've been to many times before. I detected a total of 6 parks from last Sunday to Friday (today), rested on Tues., and finished up the week with 16 silver coins (1 Washington, 9 mercs, 6 rosies), 1 "jesus saves" .925 ring, and a whopping 81 wheats. Found a Kennedy half today also. Wish it would have been silver... Most of my silver coins were found between 6-8 inches, except for three which where around 3". The only reason I dug those three signals was that they sounded higher in tone than a normal clad dime, plus the ID target was overlapping on the top-right side of the screen. My hunch was right.. I used a new Explorer II coil for the past 3 days on my SE, and found 8 silver coins with it already. It's definitely a quieter coil than the stock SE coil is at high sensitivity (I was running at 30 with no problems). Might be a tad deeper than the stock SE coil also. However, it seemed to lock on more iron signals than the SE coil does, giving a fluty tone on tricky rusted nails. I dug a little more iron than usual this week. Maybe it's because I was running at a higher sens. than I normally do...Hmmm

In my second pic below, you will notice I found a wheat sandwich. I believe at one time, there might have been a zinc-coated steel penny in the middle. On one end, there is a 1911 wheat, and the wheat on the other side has too much iron on it to extract a date. In the middle is a big chunk of rusty crud which is permanently fused to both wheats. I pryed one wheat off to try and get a date on it. Pretty cool.

Thanks for looking,
CAPTN SE
Dan

Attachments

• IMG_1292 (620 x 465).jpg
    IMG_1292 (620 x 465).jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 537
  • IMG_1294 (640 x 480).jpg
    IMG_1294 (640 x 480).jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 542
Upvote 0

bclark

Jun 27, 2007
Daytona Beach, FL
Detector(s) used
AT Pro/Whites Bullseye II
Equinox 800/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 16 Silver Week!!! + 81 wheaties, .925 ring...

Nice collection. For some reason I was thinking a wheat sandwich being a food item. I go to the parks and find a hot dog or chips but I like your wheat sandwhich much better. Nice find and good luck on future hunts.

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice assortment of coins, looks like you hit a silver mine. LOL, better go back and hit that spot again and again.

HH, Ringfinder

EDDE

Gold Member
Dec 7, 2004
Detector(s) used
Troy X5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
safe bet that the wheats welded to the rust was a steel penny
sandwhich between to coppers 8)

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
That's one impressive heap of silver coinage, Captn!

Very inspiring! :D

Congratulations!

Ridley

Ron B

May 11, 2007
Trinidad, Colorado
Hello Captain SE, admitting to wearing Explorer Two shoes! :)
That's a cool tale about using the EXP II coil; I have an 8 inch Exp II coil I haven't used much. Also, I like how you increased SENSITIVITY; it's always a good thing to do when you can. I run 32 a lot. In fact, I was set on 32 when I found the Opera House Bar token down around 6 inches. The token came in loud and clear.

Congrats on the silver Mister Silver Bandit Dude! :)
GRB

crocop

May 5, 2007
Detector(s) used
Explorer II
Captn_SE said:
I used a new Explorer II coil for the past 3 days on my SE, and found 8 silver coins with it already.

Really nice, could you tell us what it says on the stock explorer 11 coil? i have two, one says 1000 and the other says FSB 1050, does anyone know the difference between the two are?
Thanks

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
KirkPA said:
Hmmmm....DFX users don't need to use XLT coils....that is odd. hehehe

DFX users can't use XLT coils, you have to buy DFX coils!! When you upgrade from an Explorer2 to the SE, you don't have to buy all new coils!

Jack(IN)

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2007
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS-2, Garrett Ace 250
Congrats on the assortment of finds, especially seeing those steel wheats between the other wheats!

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
You really hit the jackpot! Is there any left for someone else? Way to go! Keep em coming!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread