Friday the 13th - not to bad!

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT SunRay DX-1 Garrett ACE 250, Fisher VLF-555D Pro, Fisher VLF-552D
After a month of junk and clads my luck finally started to improve on Friday the 13th of all days. My hunting buddie, Dean and I went to a field that belongs to the school system that has been used for several purposes since the mid 1960s.... We knew that the chance of finding silver coins was slim but we had never hunted it so what the heck, it was Friday the 13th and it was safe!
As soon as we arrived we saw that someone else had been there by the huge holes that had been dug, dead grass and generally poor detecting practices. After a month of junk and clads my luck finally started to improve on Friday the 13th of all days. After arriving we saw that someone else had been there in the last month or so and left some pretty disgusting signs. Huge holes, some as big as a shoe box, dead grass and generally poor metal detecting practices. Oh, well we figured, if the person was that stupid he probably couldn't find a gold bar at 2 inches and we were right. It was evident that he had hunted everywhere that we hunted today but we still had some luck.
Dean was the first one to find a ring and boy did he rub it in! We were both finding clads, no big deal then I hit on a strong signal the had a VDI of 75 so I dug it and out comes this huge military medal or medalion. Next I found a ring, then another, more clads, nickels and then a huge bracelet. Who the heck could loose something that big and not find it? Dean found a few other nice things but I won't go into it because I don't have pictures to show of this finds.
Anyway Friday the 13th turned out good for us. We hunted for about two and a half hours and plan to go back real soon since we only covered about 10% of the field.

Attachments

• TF1.jpg
    TF1.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 586
  • TF2.jpg
    TF2.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 584
  • TF3.jpg
    TF3.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 577
  • TF4.jpg
    TF4.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 582
  • TF5.jpg
    TF5.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 571
  • TF6.jpg
    TF6.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 581
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Gen. Breckinridge

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
;) The explosive ordnance disposal medal cleaned up really good! I have searched for this on Google and Ebay and I can find no other like it anywhere but many EOD patches and medals, nothing like a medalion or coin shaped. It measures 1.62" in diameter by the way. It doesn't matter what it is worth, it's a keeper!! Oh, the ring on the right (in my first post) is a sweetheart ring of sterling silver, the other is of unknown metal. The cross is pewter or some other cheap metal.

Ken

Attachments

• ordnance sm.jpg
    ordnance sm.jpg
    159.1 KB · Views: 502

ringfinder

Silver Member
Nov 9, 2005
Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 5000, X-Terra 70, Garret Infinium, Tesorro Tiger Shark, ACE 250, Nautilus DMC 2B, Fisher 1235
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey nice finds, and M i c k e y, why, because we love you M O U S E. See you next week,

HH, Ringfinder

piggman1

Silver Member
Apr 7, 2007
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum, Compass X-100, Whites Beach Hunter ID, 2 Whites Spectrum XLT's
It's amazing what others miss and still manage to wreck the place. Way to go on the SUPER finds! I like those rings. Keep em coming!

James in Alabama

Jun 27, 2007
Lincoln, AL
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE with Sunray X1 Probe and Whites XLT E Series
WS4V said:
After a month of junk and clads my luck finally started to improve on Friday the 13th of all days. My hunting buddie, Dean and I went to a field that belongs to the school system that has been used for several purposes since the mid 1960s.... We knew that the chance of finding silver coins was slim but we had never hunted it so what the heck, it was Friday the 13th and it was safe!
As soon as we arrived we saw that someone else had been there by the huge holes that had been dug, dead grass and generally poor detecting practices. After a month of junk and clads my luck finally started to improve on Friday the 13th of all days. After arriving we saw that someone else had been there in the last month or so and left some pretty disgusting signs. Huge holes, some as big as a shoe box, dead grass and generally poor metal detecting practices. Oh, well we figured, if the person was that stupid he probably couldn't find a gold bar at 2 inches and we were right. It was evident that he had hunted everywhere that we hunted today but we still had some luck.
Dean was the first one to find a ring and boy did he rub it in! We were both finding clads, no big deal then I hit on a strong signal the had a VDI of 75 so I dug it and out comes this huge military medal or medalion. Next I found a ring, then another, more clads, nickels and then a huge bracelet. Who the heck could loose something that big and not find it? Dean found a few other nice things but I won't go into it because I don't have pictures to show of this finds.
Anyway Friday the 13th turned out good for us. We hunted for about two and a half hours and plan to go back real soon since we only covered about 10% of the field.

Nice digs WS4V!

Ridley

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2004
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
White's Classic SLII and the E series DFX and the Minelab ExplorerII
Looks like a great day indeed!

That's too bad there's a slob making a mess in your area.

Congrats!

Ridley

papa

Sep 21, 2006
Yep,you had a great 13th. Wanted to go out yesterday,but had to work.Of course it started raining about the time I got off :(
Try again today. Where did you find out about the watch ? I have one that looks a lot like yours ???

OP
OP
Gen. Breckinridge

Gen. Breckinridge

Feb 26, 2007
Southwest Virginia
Detector(s) used
Pizzaman that is an excellent idea but the 1881 gold piece hanging around my neck usually does the trick. It is in AU condition and I didn't even hit it with the probe! I found it long ago with my old Fisher 555D at about 5" deep and almost didn't dig it but there was an old wives tale that a $5 gold piece was lost on the property and I was digging everything that day. The legend says that it was lost around the time of the Civil War so either this isn't the coin in the story or the legend was not dated correctly. Anyway it make peoples eyes pop out when I tell them I found it with a metal detector.

Keep on Swinging!
Ken

Attachments

• gold.jpg
    gold.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 183

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread