1618 Honduran Wreck Question...

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Yes, surfer would do perfect.... The data is in UTM84-17N and depth is in meters. I take paypal if you want to try it out?

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
To be honest, i really don't like paypal anyway...... i didn't expect many to want the info just thought i would offer cause you never know.
The Green Cabin is a very interesting site because it predates the Atocha by 4 years. I think its important to study the bottom features because this wreck had bronze cannon on it along with some iron. There could easily be a bronze cannon lying in a trough or buried in the large sand pocket near the other cannons....

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Greg, is there still not quite a bit of hull planking on the site as well near the cannon feature? I thought that propwash excavation was not permitted there?

Archaeologist David Moore has written a very good paper on the Honduran fleet, the San Martin and the shipwreck site off Wabasso.

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Yes, there is a small area off limits to prop wash because of the timbers but still there is a lot of bottom that can be excavated. This site is definitly not worked as much as it should be...

captbonnie

Jan 22, 2007
Vero Beach FL
Detector(s) used
AQ1B
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
any data on recovered bronze cannons other than the Mckee/Roger King story?

is that the basis of her carrying bronze canons or other info?

great charts - have the picture in my mind from a good clear water dive and this 3d image is good

that missing nao is sure interesting too!

does your data include the artifact recovery info

I'm pretty behind the times on mapping software - too many years dead reckoning ???
(and the pine tree lined up with the house stuff)

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
I spent a lot of days on that site in the early 90's, using sextant and shore markers. Somewhere between the south end of the site and the Seagrape beach access, on the 1st reef, there is a large, solid, round iron object very close to shore-so large I couldn't wrap my arms around it. I could never figure out what it was-very heavily encrusted. Thought maybe it was a WWII mine. :dontknow:

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
piratediver said:
GOHO: great work! Are you using off the shelf software to do the 3D stuff or is it something you personally tweeked?

Pirate Diver

I use a couple different software programs to get the data organized then i use AutoCAD to put it all together in 3D.

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Greg,

I would be interested in seeing the mag survey completed with the cesium. Dick Gurske and I did a survey with an MC5 and found anomolies out past 30' deep. We only concentrated on a small corridor where we felt the ship came in from. We verified one of the hits before the end of the season (and money ran out) and Tom found a large spike on it. I certainly think the vessel was breaking up in deeper water. Very little has been done on this site out past the cannons and hull section.

Robert

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Robert, I agree that the ship started breaking up farther out to sea. I hope to finish the mag survey this year. I am not familuar with the MC5 mag? What cycle rate does it have?.. is it a proton? do you have the data recorded? How far out did you go?

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a picture of McKee in the center, some guy who was a star in westerns on the left, and a guy who I would love to identify on the right. This picture was supposedly taken at Sandy Point.

mckee2.gif

Now, in the next picture, taken from Mark Mondano's "Divers Guide to Shipwrecks... Cape Canaveral to Jupiter Light" we see the bronze guns (what treasurecoast wreck?) and the same guy on the left. He knows the answers about the guns.

mondanocannons.gif

This last pic is about the best I could do for this iron bastardo which I located accidentally last October. You can see the trunions and my old US Divers knife laying on it for scale. About 8 feet long, with a broken muzzle... possibly dropped overboard causing the break... who knows). This one is about 1000 feet south of the Green Cabin pile and inshore of the Green Cabin wreck. Go figure.

bastardcannon.gif

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Tom, I have a special hardcover edition or a softcover.... not sure what they are worth? Make me an offer... i'm easy!

GOHO

Apr 13, 2008
Here is the Moore and Muir report....

Attachments

• San Martin 1618_Page_1.jpg
    San Martin 1618_Page_1.jpg
    464.3 KB · Views: 309
  • San Martin 1618_Page_2.jpg
    San Martin 1618_Page_2.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 314
  • San Martin 1618_Page_3.jpg
    San Martin 1618_Page_3.jpg