1618 Wreck Beach

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Generally, I don't care to use the SW forum for posting finds not made in the water, however, I believe someone reads this who has lease rights and have been salvaging their this past summer. If so, they may be able to i.d. my suspicions. So, first, my apologies for posting here... but...

I searched the beach after the NE'er this past week and made a non-exciting, but unusual find. I learned while out there, that, during this past season, that holes were being punched by salvors in the surf at the 1618 wreck site; and, not too far off the beach. A short distance south of the big pines, I found a rock on the beach that appears non-natural to Florida geology; and, may be a ballast stone. Of course, it may have also come from the renourished (aka, destruction of Florida's natural beauty) beach. However, the stone has unusual imprints, or holes bored into it. Not sure if this is natural and caused by sealife; or, if it is man-made. Anyone's opinion on this is certainly welcome.

a) Size of rock: 3 3/4" long; slightly under 3" width; 1 1/4" thick at its thickest point.
b) Surface appears smooth and it appears to be a type of granite.
c) Photos:

1618-ballast-end.jpg
End of rock

1618ballast-bott2.jpg
bottom

sebastian-bch-11-2013 027.JPG
side example

1618ballast-top.jpg
top: Upper left is concave and has one perfectly-round hole bored into it. Right side of stone has four groups of similar holes, all shallow in depth. As photo depicts on right side: Lower-left are 3-holes in a row; above that is a single hole; upper-right has two diagonal holes-a small pc. of shell in one hole; And last, on the lower right are 3-holes, a pc. of shell in the lower one. It has perplexed me...

cu-brass-ringlets.jpg
Also found south of the big pines, this small link of copper, or brass chain--rather thin and may not be a period artfact.

Thank You,
SD

Attachments

• 1618-ballast-side.jpg
    1618-ballast-side.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:

tarpon192

Mar 18, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it is a ballast stone. I could be wrong, as I am no expert. I have seen hundreds of them in davie jones' locker while diving in the area. I have also found several on the beach over the years after rough surf. The 1618 (San Martin) wreck and others (1715) are close to each other. I think others will chime in about it.
I do know one thing - the cobs found on the 1618 site have skinny lion's, castles, and a hapsburg shield.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
IMHO, I don't believe that the rock is natural to Florida...especially the coastal areas but could be wrong! It appears to be somewhat of a conglomerate of many different type rock compositions that may have been formed both by hydro-thermal activity and compression (from extreme weight sitting on the deposit when it was formed). However, the appearance could be due to hundreds, if not thousands of years of erosion/smoothing from wave action and weathering. I don't know much about ballast stones but don't believe that it is one. Is it possible that someone picked up and collected the rock because it was interesting to them? I believe that it is quite possible! Was that someone a passenger or crew of a Spanish Ship, who knows??!!

Frank

Last edited:

signumops

Feb 28, 2007
U.S.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Minelab, Aqua-Pulse
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We find those occasionally and bring them up to the deck because of their weight by volume which is greater than the usual limestone along Florida's east coast. I think they are fossilized scat. Seriously, not being a wise guy. Also have found crushed dinosaur eggs, bones, teeth, scutes, ect. Lots of fossilized stuff along shore. Coprolite is the scientific term.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Southern_Digger

Southern_Digger

May 21, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer and Excalibur; Tesoro Tejon; Fisher 1265-X; Garrett Master Hunter; White's Coinmaster; In closet: Bounty Hunter and Relco
Primary Interest:
Other
Thank You for the replies. I have not ruled out fossils or fossilized matter such as signumops states. Neither did I rule out a stone used by prehistoric natives. I even recall seeing something that was a fossilized bone to a large mammal such as a whale. While doing an Arch. survey for FPL. I discovered three prehistoric Tequesta sites that carbon dated between 500-1500 years ago. Of course, there was evidence of a mid-1800's Seminole camp on the property too. Among the finds were a serpentine hammerstone and an arrowhead made from non-native rock. These materials were displaced from as far as the Carolinas and were apparently brought here via migration or trade. For now, it will remain a mystery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread