Along with metal detecting #1 Hobby

Photography, woodworking, rawhide and kangaroo lace braiding, fishing, boating, backpacking, shooting, hunting...always seem to be busy with something.
20230428_133932.jpg
20221006_125955.jpg
IMG_20231207_141009_761.jpg
IMG_20240111_130621_156.jpg
IMG_20210810_190506_067.jpg
IMG_20210606_142757_334.jpg

Iā€™m kind of a hobby person and itā€™s usually just enough to learn the basics and they tend to cross over into other hobbies. So besides metal detecting, Iā€™m into fossil/pet wood collecting, NA artifacts, flint knapping, archery/primitive bow making, hunting, fishing, some black/blade smithing, leather working/tanning, wood working, scuba diving, ham radios, beekeeping, gardening/homesteading, livestock, plant propagation, grafting. I like to learn new things.

Heh, heh, heh... Lifelong or current? šŸ˜šŸ˜›

Most are shared with my Missus of 50mumble years.
  • Bluegrass (guitarā€”wife plays banjo)
  • Quilt Design (I design 'em, she sews 'em)
  • Herpetology (Beardie, Panther Chameleon, Western Hermann's Tortoise is hers)
  • Model RRing & railfanning
  • Raising, training, playing with our 2 service dogs (currently in-training)
  • Woodworking
  • Movies
  • Tabletop Board, RPG, & parlor games
  • Antique game boards
  • Geocaching (discontinued)
There are likely some I'm forgetting, and a slew of things we tried but didn't stick with.

So what about you, Garrett350@NC? šŸ¤Ø
Me? LOL. I have so many things that I am into all at the same time. Metal Detecting most prominent. But I also enjoy Electronics, Ghost Hunting, Ufology, Science, Unexplainable events, Unfortunately I am retired at 64 and now on a fixed income. It puts a damper on my Travel. What was behind or my motive regarding the question I had original asked is finding someone that shares my same interests. My wife thinks of me as intelligent but a little nutty at times. She has her limitations when it comes to my interests and my lack of fear so she doesn't hang out with me much.

Last edited:
This group obviously has a wide range of interests! Very cool!

Just dug up these photos of some of my collections that I mentioned in my first post, sort of a random sampling of the stuff thatā€™s easily accessible.

First, some of the old stuffā€¦antiquities, 18th century porcelain, coins, a couple etching, a 16th century cabinet with 17th C sheet brass candlestick, 17th C bottom half of sensor, and a bowl full of Pre-Colombian statue fragments that I have no place to display. lol

Please excuse my wifeā€™s randomly placed Christmas decorations.

View attachment 2127489View attachment 2127491View attachment 2127492View attachment 2127504View attachment 2127505View attachment 2127506View attachment 2127507View attachment 2127508View attachment 2127509

And a few of my watches. I also have some vintage but most are more current or new and most are in my safety deposit box. I bring one or two home when I need a change, but these photos are ones I have on my computer. The photo with me wearing two are from my favorite brand, Jaquet Droz, that Iā€™m currently wearing in rotation.

View attachment 2127494View attachment 2127495View attachment 2127496View attachment 2127497View attachment 2127498View attachment 2127499

And then my cars. Iā€™ve had the MGB since the early ā€˜80s when it was daily driver, the Porsche since 2001, and the Jag since 2019 when it became my daily use car.

View attachment 2127501View attachment 2127502View attachment 2127503
Emil, I would say that you have turned your home into a great museum. Nice collection!

They could have pulled it off if they had Tony C for that series. That was a huge loss for them.

I didn't start following baseball until 1969, so I missed out on that World Series. I did watch the '75 WS against the Reds. They would have won that one if they hadn't lost Jim Rice to a broken wrist in September. The Red Sox never had any good luck back in those days...
Yeah, Tony C almost got killed by that pitch.
& if I remember right, he had a brother who also play Major league ball?

Thanks, I moved about 4 years ago and am just now getting around to setting up a new studio space to work in.

Another hobby in the meantime, couple years ago I started playing with astrophotography planning to combine it with metal detecting in the daytime and to catch photons at night, but so far conditions havenā€™t warranted dragging everything out into the desert and Iā€™m still figuring this all outā€¦ itā€™s can be frustrating.

Hereā€™s a few first imagesā€¦

IMG_1572.png
IMG_1573.png
IMG_1574.png
IMG_1575.png
IMG_1576.png

Point hunting
I used to fish I still have all my rods. One day I will go back to it when I retire. Need a boat around here.

if I remember right, he had a brother who also play Major league ball?

Yup, Billy C, who also played for the Bosox. Not a bad player, but not in the same league as his brother.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Back