1649 Palominito Island,Puerto Rico Shipwreck?

C

Cofresipirate

Attachments

• palominito1.JPG
    palominito1.JPG
    15.4 KB · Views: 3,913

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
a color pic of the island.

Attachments

• islapao1.jpg
    islapao1.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 5,379
OP
OP
C

Cofresipirate

I'm seeking the name of the ship that went down in that area. Me and my brother found one cannon at 72ft near Palominito while spearfishing and we marked the spot with gps so we can go back this summer with underwater digital camera and take pics. Just seeking some help in finding the name of the ship.

Attachments

• robalo.JPG
    robalo.JPG
    13.2 KB · Views: 3,427

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
find the bell from the ship an you will have the name.

OP
OP
C

Cofresipirate

Pirate-Chris spearfishing while snorkeling is allowed but your right the use of a speargun and scuba tank at the same time is illegal per Reglamento de Pesca de Puerto Rico #67 & #68 11Feb2004. Thanks for the info.

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
when i live in hawaii,oahu, i spearfished alot snorkling in waters from 4 foot to 65 foot,over there the big oo also called parotfish hung out in shallow water but when we chased them we ended up in deep water,but of course i was in shape to free dive that deep and get a shot off an bring up a 60lb parrotfish at 18 yrs old.you could have a wreck there if it hit the reef at low tide,then floated off an sank in the deeper water,or it just may be tossed off ballast.go back an see what else is there,bring a camera an a metal detector.

OP
OP
C

Cofresipirate

Pirate-Chris my brother works in the PR govt and I served in US Coast Guard for seven years been station at USCG Base San Juan and later in USCGAIRSTATION Borinquen plus is always a good idea to know your regulations before you go spearfishing in any state or country just to stay out of trouble. Fisheye thanks for the info. We are planning to go back this summer and I'm planning to buy a underwater metal detector just to look around. Will be using Nitrox. I'm looking into a Minelab Excalibur or CZ20 and a underwater digital camera so I can post some pics. Thanks ;)

solitaire

Apr 10, 2009
This might be of some help....The Swedish colonial ship Kattan (The Cat) was wrecked off that island in 1649. One of my ancestors was the ship's barber/surgeon. I can tell you more about the Kattan's wreck and subsequent capture by the Spanish, if interested...

Ramitt

Jul 24, 2007
This thread is 4 years old and I don't think the OP is around judging by his thread count. Still feel free to share, we all enjoy a good story inolving shipwrecks, at least I do.

OldGold74

Jul 12, 2008
Detector(s) used
Minelab/Fisher/Aquapulse
Many wrecks on Palominos and its smaller sister, including a spanish boat with pesos and wine Duke long was after, maybe Jason is close enough to nip over, then again judging by their site they dont need any more wrecks, cheers

SimonLakeSub

Dec 6, 2006
Spent 2 months metal detecting in Puerto Rico this past winter. I met a guy who lives there, He told me he recovered a few bronze spikes off Palominito Island.

Regards Simon ......

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I know this is a very, very old topic, but I thought I'd share anyway.

In 1649 there was 1 recorded wreck at Isla Palominos, but I do not have any record of the ship's name. This is what I do know.

The ship was a 200 ton Swedish vessel armed with 16 cannon, 2 of which were brass. However, according to Spanish records, the Spanish recovered all of the cannon and imprisoned the crew.

This means, either the record is incorrect or any cannon found would belong to a different ship.

ScubaDude

Bronze Member
Oct 10, 2006
Coastal, NC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS, Garret Seahunter MK II, Geometrics 882, Marine Sonic SS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So where did Cofresipirate get the 1649 date from? ???

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
This area was my back yard for 25years I know those islands like the palm of my hand palominitos is a small key next to Palominos island....There are many reefs and small islands and keys in the general area, Isla de Icacos, Las Cucarachas, cayo Lobos, cayo ratones, cayo Diadlo, Barilles reef and Hermanos reef......Its very eazy to wreck there if you dont know the area....Actually is very hard to reach the shore of some of those islands even in a small 22 ft boat

bucanero

Aug 15, 2008
Detector(s) used
minelab excalibur II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Kattan

This might be of some help....The Swedish colonial ship Kattan (The Cat) was wrecked off that island in 1649. One of my ancestors was the ship's barber/surgeon. I can tell you more about the Kattan's wreck and subsequent capture by the Spanish, if interested...

Will love to hear more from the "KATTAN" in Palomino.....

bucanero

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey bucanero, good luck trying to get a response from someone that has posted one post 5 years ago.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread