1652 "As a mark of their soveraignty, they coyn mony" Edward Randolph, Kings Agent

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
1652 "As a mark of their soveraignty, they coyn mony" Edward Randolph, Kings Agent

Hi all,
haven't posted anything in a while so I figured I'd show this dirty piece of silver.
Hunted a new site and spent an hour in the pasty mud with not much to show,
on the steep hillside along the water I noticed lots of scrap metal and trash,
made my way up the hill gathering all the copper and brass I could eyeball.
Turned on the Safari, stock coil was all I had with me,
amazingly I picked a signal from the trash, dug an 1878 IH, check the hole,
another 1878...
check the hole, another signal, different numbers.
Big root in the way, pulled some dirt from underneath, small silver coin :hello2:
Take a close look, hmm 1652, that's familiar. wrap in leaf and secure it.
scan again, another signal. looks to be a Charles II Groat, now that's a rare find over here.

Very Strange, coin spill over older coin spill ? Anyway this was a first for me...

No pix of The IHs or the groat cause they got put somewhere safe in my truck :laughing7:
They'll turn up sometime.

This morning I identified my Oak threepence as a 'Noe-28', an 'R-6, 13-30 examples known' and she appears to be almost uncirculated and well struck (for Ma Silver) under that dirt.
Diagnostics on this one are easy, both legends start at lower left, 5 in date squashed.

Shown as an example is the Wurzbach plate coin of this variety, in the description he notes:

"Crosby could not find a specimen good enough to furnish a proper description. Excessively rare"

I take this to mean that he obtained a better specimen than Crosby, and was right proud of the fact.

Breen notes "All specimens I have examined are dogs, due to weak striking and weakly cut dies".

These quotes give you some idea of the apparent jealousy and competitiveness of collectors and 'experts' on Massachusetts silver.

given the condition of the best example I could find, I think mine is a looker.
Apparently these coins don't appear much in higher grades.

And a photo of a stern Colonial Governor from the period.

Trees seem to be sprouting all over this year.
Thanks for looking & HH Everyone :)

Attachments

• NH FINDS 05-10-2013 026.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 026.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 682
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 004.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 004.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 692
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 007.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 007.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 697
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 009 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 009 copy.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 715
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 010.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 010.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 687
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020 copy.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020 copy.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 680
  • NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020.jpg
    NH FINDS 05-10-2013 020.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 707
Last edited:
Upvote 41
OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess the banner folks were bored today. ;)

Last edited:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Will do I read right, you are leaving the coin...as found un-cleaned.

SS

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is the point of getting it slabbed. Each time you handle the coin it is devalued. Slabbing the coin will increase the value and prevent devaluation.
Slabbing the coin may actually decrease the value with "Environmental Damage" and a possible "Low" grading. Serious collectors, (and dealers), prefer to examine ANY coin, But colonials especially, in the metal. There is NO guarantee that a coin will receive a good enough grade to value it as it should be. IMO.....grading services are good for authenticating a coin ONLY! The coin has been in the ground for 350 years. How is handling it now going to "devalue" it??:dontknow:

Breezie

Gold Member
Oct 3, 2009
North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
White's DFX & Spectrum~Garrett's Pro-Pointer~VibraProbe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Oh, WOW what an awesome piece of history!!! Way to go!!! Congrats on a great find and for making a well deserved BANNER!!! :thumbsup: Breezie

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Will do I read right, you are leaving the coin...as found un-cleaned.

SS
Hi SS,
I have left my recent R6 coins untouched.
My experience with cleaning common older coppers has given mixed results, more bad than good.
This is very concerning when I think about doing anything with my 123 Rosa Half Penny, (bath metal alloy???)
I've decided that I will do some slow and careful work on this silver.
I've gotten some good advice on how to go about this, and would appreciate any input you may have also.
Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:

OP
OP
steelheadwill

steelheadwill

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2010
New Castle NH.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Brain eyes ears and nose
Primary Interest:
Other
Slabbing the coin may actually decrease the value with "Environmental Damage" and a possible "Low" grading. Serious collectors, (and dealers), prefer to examine ANY coin, But colonials especially, in the metal. There is NO guarantee that a coin will receive a good enough grade to value it as it should be. IMO.....grading services are good for authenticating a coin ONLY! The coin has been in the ground for 350 years. How is handling it now going to "devalue" it??:dontknow:
You said it all Hogge! Thanks :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi SS,
I have left my recent R6 coins untouched.
My experience with cleaning common older coppers has given mixed results, more bad than good.
This is very concerning when I think about doing anything with my 123 Rosa Half Penny, (bath metal alloy???)
I've decided that I will do some slow and careful work on this silver.
I've gotten some good advice on how to go about this, and would appreciate any input you may have also.
Thanks for the reply :thumbsup:
I think you will benefit from cleaning the Silver, but done very slowly, and no chemicals. I would give a long soak in lemon juice and cotton buds, it takes longer with heavily encrusted Silver.

SS

Last edited:

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I think you will benefit from cleaning the Silver, but done very slowly, and no chemicals. I would give a long soak in lemon juice and cotton buds, it takes longer with heavily encrusted Silver.

SS

I still vote for light electrolysis as the most effective and safest method for cleaning coin silver. Just use a small AC adapter, stainless steel spoon and a water/baking soda solution. Check frequently by gently rubbing the coin between your forefinger and thumb until the tarnish starts to dissolve. Practice on a newer silver coin first if you're hesitant to use this method. Just make absolutely sure you have the leads properly connected. The negative (black) lead should go to the coin, and the positive (red) lead should be connected to the spoon.

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I still vote for light electrolysis as the most effective and safest method for cleaning coin silver. Just use a small AC adapter, stainless steel spoon and a water/baking soda solution. Check frequently by gently rubbing the coin between your forefinger and thumb until the tarnish starts to dissolve. Practice on a newer silver coin first if you're hesitant to use this method. Just make absolutely sure you have the leads properly connected. The negative (black) lead should go to the coin, and the positive (red) lead should be connected to the spoon.
Bill it's not the best way with hammered coins, they are to thin, especially if you can not see the intergrity of the coin, and Will's is well loaded with crud, I have had hammered crumble with electrolysis....no chance of that with the lemon juice.

SS

swamp yankee

Jun 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BIG congrats on your finds,almost makes me want to return to Mass. I'd never expect to see pieces that old in my days,oldest I've found is a 1736 1/2 Reale out here next to the Pacific....

screwynewy

May 10, 2011
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Teknetics T2 SE
Teknetics G2+
Primary Interest:
Other

Can't say I've ever found a hammered silver but I'm with Bill D. on light electolysis. I dug an early Reale at the coast in very salty, sandy soil that was heavily crusted and tarnished and used a cell phone charger with small alligator clips. Zapped it for 15 seconds and the crust just fell off leaving a really nice looking silver coin. Now if this paricular coin is that thin and fragile I'd probably just leave it alone altogether and not risk breaking it. I'd be thrilled with it just like it is.

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love the way your 'dirty piece of silver' made it to BANNER! Congratulations!!! :notworthy:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread