🥇 BANNER 1652 Massachusetts 6 Pence

The Fog

May 24, 2009
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Hello tnetters, I don't post very often, I'm more of a sandbagger! I hunt with Brian W who has posted some of his finds here before. Today we hit an area we've had our eye on for quite some time and it didn't disappoint. An hour into the hunt Bri comes walking down a hill towards me with an incredible button.... I'll wait for him to post that if he chooses to. It was quite a nice button to say the least. Anyway I'd been digging shotgun shell after shotgun shell, flashing, lead pieces, can tops etc. With little light left in the day I found a complete colonial shoe buckle, very nice shape, my day was made, I was happy with just that. The sun was dropping behind the horizon and I was content with my buckle and an undetermined Indian head penny. Just before i was ready to leave I got a decent signal but it was reading only and inch deep, I kicked the leaves and pine needles aside to get to hard earth. I swung the area of bare dirt and the signal was gone. I checked the debris pile of leaves and pine needles... I couldn't believe my eyes when i saw the 16! This coin was barely below the surface. Unfortunately I have some light scratches on it from brushing the leaves and pine needles away. I have no idea what variety it is or if it's a counterfeit. Brian told me to post it here and Iron Patch would be the guy to ID it. Anyway, we had a great day and it was amazing to find this coin.

Attachments

• P1020988.jpg
    P1020988.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 1,128
  • P1020989.jpg
    P1020989.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 1,143
Upvote 43

dann

Greenie
Sep 14, 2013
North Point
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 705. Minelab
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Hey. What's going on ?
I just watched "Pawn Stars" on TV tonight. A woman brought in a 1652 sixpence for Rick to buy. (Season 4 Episode 52)
Is that a coin-incidence or what?

The coin on the show had been graded as "Damaged". The customer wanted $3000. Rick offered $500, because it was damaged. The customer took the coin home.
A pop-up on the screen said, "A New England sixpence in good condition can be worth $30,000."
So good luck with your find.
The Pawn Star episode (S4 Ep 52) is called "Security," and is on youtube.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coin on the show had been graded as "Damaged". The customer wanted $3000. Rick offered $500, because it was damaged. The customer took the coin home.
A pop-up on the screen said, "A New England sixpence in good condition can be worth $30,000."
So good luck with your find.
The Pawn Star episode (S4 Ep 52) is called "Security," and is on youtube.

The problem is he says condition determines price, when it's actually variety and condition. Without taking the variety into account you can not properly value the coin.

Admiral de Salee

Apr 2, 2007
Michigan
Detector(s) used
White's V3i w. D2 or Super12
White's DFX w. D2 or 5.3
Sunray DX-1, Lesche Digger
Fantastic!! That's the year my Dutch ancestor got to NY colony. I hope this beauty fetches you a pretty penny!

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
wowza! amazing coin! funny how stuff stays on top.several colonial coppers i found were that same scenario.looks great up there alongside Brians GW!

OP
OP
T

The Fog

May 24, 2009
MA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Thanks HeavyMetalNut, yeah what are the odds of two guys on the same hunt finding two banner items. It's a good thing it wasn't in Connecticut or you would have already found it.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks HeavyMetalNut, yeah what are the odds of two guys on the same hunt finding two banner items. It's a good thing it wasn't in Connecticut or you would have already found it.

I think you must mean found four of each.

VERDE

Bronze Member
Jun 6, 2013
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey The Fog!! CONGRATS!! Really NICE FIND!! Hope it clears as the real deal!! WOW!! GREAT FIND!! GOOD HUNTING!! VERDE!!

relicmansal66

Mar 10, 2010
New England
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, It's a find of a lifetime despite it's condition . Just to see one in almost complete condition that has been in the ground since the late 1600's is amazing to say the least. I was told that the reason that their all dated 1652 is that it was illegal for the Mass Colonies to mint their own Coins, ordered by the King, but since there was no King for a few years, 1652 including, they Minted them that date making them legal. A sort of loophole in the rules of the King . Smart, huh ?

CoinandRelicMan

Silver Member
Apr 3, 2011
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Safari, Cortes, Musketeer, Makro Pin-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I really envy you "East Coast" guys with all that history on tap !! Kudos for finding that once in a lifetime rarity , love it !!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you sell, you'll regret it. trust me on this.

Super late to this party, but great, great find and those are big time words of wisdom, Steelhead. Unless you have to unload to survive, the money just gets spent, new trucks depreciate, but a find like that lives on and on (and appreciates in value).

Also Fog, thanks for giving this no finding, frustrated detectorist a glimmer of hope and a reason not to give up.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread