1652 PINE TREE SCHILLING !!!

silversurfer1111

Jul 14, 2012
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
GARRET AT PRO ..Whites Classic SL. . modified 9 Function Metal Detector from Harbor Freight tools
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend the fire man found this.he sure did his research. If anyone can give me any information about the coin.. how much is it worth ? any unique features ?..that would be great .I am sure he is not going to sell it ...he just wants to know out of curiosity ..Thanks for looking
20140912_133124-1.jpg 20140912_133058-1.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 16

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear ya there!! I know I would never sell it!:laughing9:
Ha unless of course someone hit that magic number :-) I'd sell my hand if somebody had enough money....but only my left one lol

madforclad

May 7, 2014
Hunting previously pounded sites
Detector(s) used
Minelab eTrac, Minelab X Terra 705, Garrett AT Pro with 5" x 8" coil, Fisher F2, Garrett Pro Pointer, RTG 710 Scoop.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tough to pull that off in Canada but I have no doubt there is some to be found.

I know IP. But I am in Nova Scotia and there is a history of other early settlements here. New England Plantars were here after the expulsion of the Acadians so there is that connection although it is later on. There already have been some pretty early coins found here including French, Spanish, and other coinage that predates English colonial. One can only hope.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know IP. But I am in Nova Scotia and there is a history of other early settlements here. New England Plantars were here after the expulsion of the Acadians so there is that connection although it is later on. There already have been some pretty early coins found here including French, Spanish, and other coinage that predates English colonial. One can only hope.

No question it's possible, and I think the best chance is at an early French site as one could still have easily been in circulation. There was a 1300s English penny found on a site here and I'd say that's probably in the same range of odd and crazy find as a tree coin.

doninbrewster

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2013
New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I know your friend from the Silver City Treasure Seekers in Taunton, MA, so please tell him that Jim extends a huge congratulations :icon_thumleft: on his outstanding recovery of a Pine Tree Shilling. I saw him at the club's monthly meeting last week and took note of his recent recovery of 17th century buttons and leather mounts. I told him that he was in Mass Silver territory with his finds and to stay on it. Looks like he did exactly that. Tell him that I hope to see him with his coin at the club's huge New England Treasure Show next Saturday, 9/20/14.

The coin is fantastic! :headbang: As some of the members have pointed out, he needs to get it weighed to positively determine whether the clipping was done as part of the minting process or by some thrifty colonist looking to shave a little silver for his next purchase. I have a cut Mass silver (to make change) and a whole specimen, but my buddy found a shaved piece of Mass Silver, so the practice of clipping coins wasn't limited to Spanish cobs. Regardless of what he determines - that's a killer find!

Just my own opinion - I would not have it slabbed. I had my Oak Tree Shilling slabbed, and it was not a good experience. I expected a details grade, and called NGC (Numismatic Guarantee Corp.) to arrange for it if necessary, but they mishandled the whole matter, i.e., they sent the coin back to me in a body bag (that's what they call it if coins are rejected for reqular encapsulation). So I had to send my coin a second time and guess what? They eventually slabbed it - but with the wrong variety designation. :BangHead: I thought they were suppose to be the experts. ??? My variety of Oak Tree shilling is the Spiny Tree Noe-14. It's the most recognizable coin of all Mass Silver as it's a hybrid of sorts - a cross over from the Oak Tree Series to the Pine Tree Series. I'll probably remove it from the slab someday; for now, I'm too busy looking for another - got to stay positive! Anyway, please tell Mike that I suggest he save himself all the hassle and just enjoy his fantastic find.

I agree with silver tree chaser. I wouldn't have it slabbed. I have little faith in the grading services and I've heard some horror stories when they tried to "restore" a coin. As far as I'm concerned they know about as much about colonial coins as Gomer Pyle does about endocrinology. I've seen way too many coins that were misattributed in slabs. I've seen others with grading off by 20 points. When buying coins, never buy the slab, buy the coin. BTW, I highlighted some of silver tree chasers post to make a point.

Msbeepbeep

Gold Member
Jun 24, 2012
MA
Detector(s) used
M-6, pro pointer, pistol probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mega congrats to your friend!!!! That is a truly awesome find!
It's on a lot of wish lists, including mine!

fongu

Bronze Member
Mar 30, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wonderful find. I checked my red book and there were three types of coins, willow tree, oak tree & pine tree. All of them were stamped with the same date except the 2 pence either willow or oak tree coin. I meant to bring my red book from Mom's house, but forgot. I think they quit making them in 1656, but my memory is not the best. The way I understood the book, whatever year they were made they had the same date stamp of 1652 except for the one 2 pence coin or was it a 3 pence coin. They made a 2, 3, & 6 pence coin and the shilling coin. Excellent find for your friend and a hearty congratulations.

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Your friend made a great find. Looks like Iron Patch got the ID right. Noe 8, Rarity 4. It can be found on page 206-207 in Salmon's book. I would advise against having it slabbed. Most Colonial collectors like to be able to examine the coins for themselves rather than depending on a sticker. It's authenticity won't be a question and since its not a top-tier coin that will command a super high price it would be nice to be able to hold the coin rather than plastic. I would be very happy to keep it in my collection if I found it. It would look nice next to my other Mass Silvers.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
[/B]

I agree with silver tree chaser. I wouldn't have it slabbed. I have little faith in the grading services and I've heard some horror stories when they tried to "restore" a coin. As far as I'm concerned they know about as much about colonial coins as Gomer Pyle does about endocrinology. I've seen way too many coins that were misattributed in slabs. I've seen others with grading off by 20 points. When buying coins, never buy the slab, buy the coin. BTW, I highlighted some of silver tree chasers post to make a point.

I also agree, no slab for me. Not so much based on experience with the grading companies, but more I don't need anyone telling me what I have... if I don't know there's plenty on the net who do. In addition to that I would also do a very light cleaning on it because I can tell the corrosion is the type that would basically wash right away so even a very mild cleaning would do it. So I would definitely not slab it as is. Not that I'm suggesting todecide to clean and flip a coin how to do it... that's most definitely not what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

-=METAL=-

Sep 13, 2013
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The guy knows how to case sites, that's for sure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread