Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helleo Tnet,

It's been a while since I posted here. It's been a busy summer and did not have much time to get out. That said, yesterday was my first full day out swinging. I went with EastCooastHunter21 to our pounded out section of woods, we've been there all season and made many fantastic saves, items dating to mid 1700's. Even though we hit this place multiple occasions, we somehow always manage to pull few interesting items.

Yesterday was no different. it was a hot and humid day in the New York area. We got to our spot after 10am and began detecting. for the first few hours the signals were few and far between, we managed to pull 8-12 flat buttons (no designs), musket ball, crusty large coin, and lots of old lead shreds.

As we were working our way in the exit direction I got a pretty solid but choppy hit on my deus. And since all the sweet signals (I assume) have been picked away by our previous visits, this entire day I was digging anything that rang somewhat of high tone.

Now, Charlie and I have a tendency to call a lot of unrecognizable, coin sized objects Cobs, after which we have a good laugh... "Hey, Bartek I have another cob" is what I hear at least 3 times a hunt when Charlie pulls a piece of lead or other scrap. So when I dug my plug and saw an actual cob and called out to Charlie in excitement he chuckled and ignored my calls. however after I assured him that I DO HAVE a real-real cob he made his way to my hole.

IMG_1217.JPG

I have dug many Spanish Reale coins but never a Spanish Cob. This was definitely very exciting and examining the coin I noticed "82"

IMG_1221.JPG IMG_1222.JPG

I'm no expert in Cob identificatio, but a friend told me that this is a well preserved cut Cob from Lima or more likely from Potosi (Bolivia). If anyone here wants to confirm or inform more about this coin, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure what denomination was the original coin, here it is with a scale:

FullSizeRender2.jpg

Here is the other Large coin, I believe is 1840's election token: "Whigs" (Whig Party)

IMG_1228.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks for reading Tnet, the bramble is thinning so we will be going into the woods full force for the Autumn season! Happy Hunting!

Upvote 46

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Terrific find and excellent detail. Really nice. Congrats. Looks like Potosi to me and I think I see the V assayer. Most definitely a 1 reale as I can see the 1 above the cross.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 8.17.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 8.17.48 PM.png
    417.6 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:

dirtlooter

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2014
mid western ARK
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with 9"LF and 9" HF Coils and 600 Equinox with stock and 6" coils
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Drooling material for sure! that is about that I will be able to do around here LOL. congrats on the sweet cut cob:occasion14:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find buddy. I have a 1664 from Potosi mint. I believe they are very similar
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1505735590.442683.jpg

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Bart, congrats! I hope to see you Thursday, won't be long, couple more months and you guys can come down south and hunt with me?

digging440yrs

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2012
UPSTATE NEW YORK
Detector(s) used
1970 COMPASS-
WHITES SILVER EAGLE-
WHITES DFX, 4X6DD COIL, 6X8DD COIL, 950 COIL, 10X12SEF COIL-
GARRETT PRO POINTER AT, GARRETT AT PRO , MINELAB EXPLORER SE with 8.5x12.5 Cors coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find ! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Bartek

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find Bart, congrats! I hope to see you Thursday, won't be long, couple more months and you guys can come down south and hunt with me?

Looking forward to our Thursday hunt!

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats. I wish I had one with a nice clear date

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
....and the 17th century silver races off page 1.... RIDICULOUS

Diggin Dude

Silver Member
Apr 6, 2014
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tarsacci MDT 8000
XP DEUS II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nicely done!! Definitely a bucket list find, especially with nice detail! Congrats and HH

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Awesome! All that corny joking ends up with a not so corny cob! Soooooooo happy for you!

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow bartek , you really did find a cob !!!
Great find glad I was there for it
Not very often are these cobs are pulled
Persistence pays !! Keep cleaning up the old sites
The finds will come. Hh gl
See u soon ech.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread