Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Helleo Tnet,

It's been a while since I posted here. It's been a busy summer and did not have much time to get out. That said, yesterday was my first full day out swinging. I went with EastCooastHunter21 to our pounded out section of woods, we've been there all season and made many fantastic saves, items dating to mid 1700's. Even though we hit this place multiple occasions, we somehow always manage to pull few interesting items.

Yesterday was no different. it was a hot and humid day in the New York area. We got to our spot after 10am and began detecting. for the first few hours the signals were few and far between, we managed to pull 8-12 flat buttons (no designs), musket ball, crusty large coin, and lots of old lead shreds.

As we were working our way in the exit direction I got a pretty solid but choppy hit on my deus. And since all the sweet signals (I assume) have been picked away by our previous visits, this entire day I was digging anything that rang somewhat of high tone.

Now, Charlie and I have a tendency to call a lot of unrecognizable, coin sized objects Cobs, after which we have a good laugh... "Hey, Bartek I have another cob" is what I hear at least 3 times a hunt when Charlie pulls a piece of lead or other scrap. So when I dug my plug and saw an actual cob and called out to Charlie in excitement he chuckled and ignored my calls. however after I assured him that I DO HAVE a real-real cob he made his way to my hole.

IMG_1217.JPG

I have dug many Spanish Reale coins but never a Spanish Cob. This was definitely very exciting and examining the coin I noticed "82"

IMG_1221.JPG IMG_1222.JPG

I'm no expert in Cob identificatio, but a friend told me that this is a well preserved cut Cob from Lima or more likely from Potosi (Bolivia). If anyone here wants to confirm or inform more about this coin, I'd greatly appreciate it. I'm not sure what denomination was the original coin, here it is with a scale:

FullSizeRender2.jpg

Here is the other Large coin, I believe is 1840's election token: "Whigs" (Whig Party)

IMG_1228.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

Thanks for reading Tnet, the bramble is thinning so we will be going into the woods full force for the Autumn season! Happy Hunting!

Upvote 46

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Excellent dated cob Bart. Hammered silver is a difficult feat in the New World. We've all hit that "meadow" many times, but we always seem to find more Spanish there. That cob is exceptional and certainly the oldest item to date. As you know this last Sunday Charlie scored spanish silver, and I hit a seated dime and LC. This site has certainly been kind...and it keeps giving! Here's to many more bud.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bartek seriously 20 comments on a dated 1682 cut hammered colonial silver
I think it's a banner item.
And I'm gonna vote it.

Eastcoasthunter21

Bronze Member
Feb 24, 2015
New York/Florida
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
DEUS ALL THE WAY
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Folks you don't see these often , my banner vote is in On this coin.
Respect the age , condition and rarity of this item
And send it up top where it should be.

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I agree...but I still can't find where to vote banner using the app on my phone!

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Well ask mod how or go online via wi-Fi if you can.
I'd vote twice lol but I can not.

Hope I did it correctly. I looked online and a posting said to:
-Select post.
-Choose "more"
-Choose "report" (But it says "inappropriate" at the top?????
-Type in "Banner"
-Submit.

Good luck!

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice example of a clipped pillar and waves cob!

OP
OP
Bartek

Bartek

Apr 5, 2014
Northern NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks EastCoastHunter, you sure you don't want to save your vote for a 77 Indian? If this was incur it would have better chances for sure.

bill_wabo

Bronze Member
Sep 12, 2014
Quebec
Detector(s) used
helmet from pomelo
Teknetics Delta 4000,
Tesoro Mojave,
Garrett Carrott
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very well done!

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks EastCoastHunter, you sure you don't want to save your vote for a 77 Indian? If this was incur it would have better chances for sure.

You don't know how many times I ha e used this exact example. It seems so crazy to me. The old old stuff is so damn hard to find and the history behind it is incredible. I for one think this cut cob is a killer find

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A big congrats on digging the cob Bart. :occasion14: Awesome find dude. I can't wait to see all the finds posted from the B.O.B's.

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congratualtions on the COB recovery! :notworthy:

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Glad to see this post getting some action. The coin is gorgeous and I cant stop looking at it. Very few will ever find one let alone one so nice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread