1715 find or junk?

PBBill

Sep 7, 2008
First let me say thank you to everyone that has posted before. I am new to metal detecting and I spent several weeks going back to the old posts and gained a wealth of knowledge. I ended up choosing a Whites prizm 3 just to make sure this is something I want to do. Spent the last several days checking out the beaches on the treasure coast here in Florida. I did scoop this out from a bunch of shells in about a foot of water almost directly in front of one of the 1715 wrecks. It is not magnetic. It is not plyable i.e. not aluminum or tin. it marks under the icon for z1c, bottle cap, or gold ring. Anyhow mostly wanted to say thanks to all the members for the wealth of info on this site. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Bill

Attachments

• IMG_1099.jpg
    IMG_1099.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_1100.jpg
    IMG_1100.jpg
    116.7 KB · Views: 910
Upvote 0

time4me

Bronze Member
Aug 30, 2005
Detector(s) used
E-Trac, Explorer II, Excalibur
Can't help with your find, but let me be the first to welcome you here to Treasurenet!!!! I look forward to seeing you find lots of treasure going forward.

Jim

FloridaBill

Bronze Member
Jan 24, 2008
Punta Gorda, Florida
Detector(s) used
Compass & Beachunter 300, Garrett Seahunter Excalibur ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes I agree and silver would have been black by now. I am not sure if you are aware of it but you don't want to be caught in the water there..........

I did scoop this out from a bunch of shells in about a foot of water

Narthoniel

Bronze Member
Jul 1, 2008
Virginia Beach
Detector(s) used
Excal 2 and E Trac
No idea on the mystery object, sorry.

On the other hand tho, Welcome to Tnet! I myself am new to detecting, and started with the same detecter you have chosen. It took me only a few short weeks to decide that I love detecting, and a month to buy a top of the line water detecter. I hope you do as well there as can be expected, and I look forward to reading about your treasure!

Anthony

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
FloridaBill said:
Yes I agree and silver would have been black by now. I am not sure if you are aware of it but you don't want to be caught in the water there..........

Just curious Bill, why can't you detect in the water there?

Johnny Bravo

Nov 2, 2006
WI
I find stuff that looks like that too, rings up in the same range on my Prizm 2. Think it's aluminum, cans that got melted down in a fire or just pounded into a very tight ball over time.

OP
OP
P

PBBill

Sep 7, 2008
FloridaBill said:

Just to make sure but like I said I did my research and found every question I wanted answered posted somewhere previously and this was one of them. As I read the law it says you can use a metal detector from the lowest mean tide to the toe of the dune. Naturally as the tide comes in that means as long as I dont go further than lowest mean tide I am good correct? Also I have always heard you can not bring a metal detector in the ocean. However, as I read the law you can not have a metal detector within 3000 yards of the posted gps coordinates for the leased sites but can have one in the ocean. Of course as I continued to read I read about the Florida antiquties law and what a scam that is. Basically you can bring one in the ocean you just cant use it. As I interpet it if I bury a box of coins in my yard and dig it up 50 years from now I am a criminal for stealing antiques that belong to Florida. As I said I am new so if I am incorrect feel free to set me straight! I have managed to keep a clean record for 42 years and dont want it changing over a quarter and some dimes!

Thanks,

Bill

mumszie

Silver Member
Feb 22, 2005
Spring Hill, Florida
Let me add my welcome to the rest of them and I look forward to reading your posts. No idea on the metal but I found something similar yesterday myself. Welcome aboard.

rdi

Sep 5, 2007
Zephyrhills, Florida
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Infinium LS, Sovereign GT, Fisher cz6a, Garrett sea hunter,Garrett vlf/tr groundhog
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
PBBill ......wreckdiver1715, Johnny Bravo hit the nail on the head....It is most assuredly aluminum.....You find them in all Florida waters, east coast, west coast, and panhandle.....My wife and I find hundreds every year, and so do all beach/water hunters.....I would be careful about hunting in the water, my suggestion is hunt from the water to the toe of the dune....How do you measure where lowest mean tide is....I believe you are right about the 3000 yards for each lease....which pretty much ties up the Treasure Coast. in 1959 Kip Wagner received lease from Governor of Florida...the cost for an annual lease was $100, which the fisher's hold now I believe.....One last thing .....Don't believe every thing you read on forums especially when it comes to forfeiture of your equipment....rdi

Shaw

Mar 16, 2008
Houston Area
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Vibraprobe 570, My Melon
wreckdiver1715 said:
melted aluminum can...

Yup, I find hand fulls of them anywhere along my sandy creeks. Usually where there has been camping activity and fires.

Welcome aboard to the Tnet.

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
Junk! But ... I have found blobs of melted aluminum in and out of the water along the treasure coast. I tend to believe some of it is from shuttles or rockets, there is about 150000 lbs of aluminum alloy thru-out a shuttle. The whole skeleton of a shuttle in made out of aluminum.

I remember when a large piece washed up at Cocoa beach 11 years after the Challenger explosion, I think it was a piece of the wing. There are tons of debris still out in the ocean and on occasion it will wash up.

The ones I found are all much thicker than an aluminum can and I have never seen Budweiser on any of them! :icon_pirat:

Jimi

Dirt Fishin Dale

Aug 23, 2006
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-Trac, Excal 1000, Binford 5000 super hunter
I have a box full. But! You have a good start. Keep looking. Finding 1715 fleet stuff is kind of like playing the lottery.
I haven't won yet but others have. Good luck. If you don't go out and try often your odds are bad.

Dale

tedpank

Jun 16, 2006
Vero Beach, Florida
Looks like a piece of the shuttle! Found one my first day out! Small piece of copper
wiring runs thru the one I found!

Attachments

• shuttlepiece.jpg
    shuttlepiece.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 594
  • shuttlepiece.jpg
    shuttlepiece.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 591

PyrateJim

Nov 28, 2004
Sterling Hts., MI.
Detector(s) used
Garrett, Sea Hunter mark II
Piece of the Challenger Shuttle. Have found many pieces of it over the years. Everything from your size item to some larger rod pieces.

As I was told when I took mine to the Cape for id'ing (before I knew better) and had it all confiscated, it is a Federal Offence to own or posses any sized piece of the Challenger. Mine was taken and reportedly added to the debris pile in some missle silo somewhere.

Jimi D Pirate

Oct 28, 2004
Orlando, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000 + AQUA PULSE
PyrateJim,

You are absolutely right! It is all Federal property and against the law to keep any part from a Shuttle. I have turned in many pieces as well and most of the Shuttle debris is buried in a silo at the Cape. I was good friends with the Brevard Medical examiner during that time.

Jimi

armchairQB30

Jun 21, 2007
Wasnt there a wreck off the eastern coast that contained platinum?

Being that aluminum is a lightweight alloy it would be a candidate for the trampoline effect in the ocean.

Melted aluminum...hmmm.......alum 380 melts at I think 1200 degrees.

What about the effect that sand has on the piece over time?

I would say a spark test could be in order to determine the chemical properties of the alloy.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions