Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
On the book Shipwrecks of Florida by Steven D. Singer the author mentions quote on quote “1715 Coins and a cannon have been found off Pompano Beach near the Hillsboro inlet, also coins from this period have been found off Jupiter, south off the inlet”

Can anyone elaborate on this?

Also I’m wondering what other sites have produce 1715 coins or artifacts other than the already known sites, Sandy Point, Rio Mar, Colored Beach, Wedge Wreck, Corrigans, Wabasso, Green Cabin and Chucks…..

Goldminer

Apr 28, 2006
Las Vegas, Nv
In 1961, four of us came to Pompano to dive the inner reefs. We went to a dive shop on the causeway to get air. While the tanks were filling, I saw some coins on a shelf behind the counter. I asked the shop owner what they were, and his response was:" These were found by teenage lobster divers on the reef off Hillsboro Inlet." All the coins were gold, and circa 1715 fleet. I asked how many were found, and he said, " A small basketfull." In 1961, I would not have seen a wreck if I bumped my mask on one.

treshuntintom

May 24, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Chagy-back in 2005 when I first started the research on the "Reformation Project"I got turned loose into the Archives library at the Martin County historical Society Museum.Found several newspaper articles with pictures of coins,artifacts,etc.Most of the items came from the area off shore from the House Of Refuge.At least I was kinda smart enough to make copies.Also found several letters from Museum to a gentleman by the name of Mel Fisher.Also have a 2-3 page report about items found around & near the power plant.This involved Mel & Harold Holden.Have another one about that area from around 1984(I think)from John Brandon.Started looking for the items as soon as I read your question.They even allowed me into the vault to look for the item at the museum.Funny thing,I believe all the artifacts grew legs over the past 40 years & disappeared.Problem is,the stuff could be here or in Sebastian.I did send Ernie Richards copies of all of it.I'm sure Ernie has a better system than I do fo keeping up with older research.I also left diverlynn with a box of books to read,Kang Hsi to cook with & Tons of pictures.Don't think any of the articles are in that box.I'll keep after it,still have it somewhere.Good luck to everyone in this crazy business.Maybe someday the Cabin site might clear up & we can all return to work.See ya,Tom

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
1715 era spanish coinage and fleet type items have also been found in nassau sound , between talbot and amelia islands. :wink: :icon_thumright:

C

Cappy Z.

Good luck to everyone in this crazy business(TreshuntinTom)

I can honestly state that when one of our members posts a line like this regarding shipwrecks etc. ..I am certain there are a thousand ears waiting for the "stories".
Please feel free to enlighten us landlubbers...

BB

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Indians, explorers and settlers have been finding coins on the beach ever since the 1715 disaster, without any knowledge of the history of the fleet and the associated shipwrecks.

I've heard the indians may have used the heavy coins as net weights.

In 1775 Bernard Romans wrote of the Treasure Coast: The people employed in the course of our survey, while walking the strand after strong eastern gales, have repeatedly found pistareens and double pistareens, which kinds of money probably yet remaining in the wrecks, are sometimes washed up by the surf in hard winds.

In the book, Pieces of Eight, Kip Wagner mentions a local man who found blackened chunks of silver on the beach and, not knowing what they were, skipped them back into the water, about 2000 of them! I bet he wasn't the first person to do that.

There are a number of places where 1715 era coins can be found on the beach and in the water, yet there is no associated shipwreck nearby.

C

Cappy Z.

IF one reads between the lines here at TN..it is apparent that many a deep sea diver is coming up empty...or is simply not telling for a variety of reasons.

I as one hundred other TNers would like to know IF there is so much treasure along the treasure coast..then why aren't we reading about it in the newspapers? Somebody has loose lips.

Another issue is how come the public never hears of the govt sales of found treasures?

Here we have Treasurenet.com and honestly even here the amount of simple information is bleak.

I always have wondered where I could on the www to find out what out govt is doing with its 'share' of the taxed booty.

HH

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
The gov't would never admit to any sales of treasure, most likely coins were given as gifts to diplomats and such. I would love to see an inventory list or what the state has on hand or should what of what is left. I would bet there is not an archie who doesn't have a nice collection in his personal stash.

Tom, darling, sorry I have been aloof lately but in hard times, nothing much to report except I did get a chance to tell Jim S. what I thought of him.
Felt good!

Going to Venice tomorrow for a few days to look for shark teeth.

diverlynn

Tropic Cat

Sep 30, 2009
I'm the author of the link posted in this thread. As the link states, the information is accurate.

The reason I'm posting this morning is to address the obvious question asked here. If people can find artifacts at these locations why has no one heard about it?

The answer should be just as obvious. Anyone who researched the the Mel Fisher agreement with the State of Florida which settled the lawsuit understands that Fisher's corporation has rights under the agreement. Their rights extend to 'the high water mark" on most of the beaches featured in my article.

I think that anyone who has been successful in locating artifacts would pretty much keep it to themselves. Wouldn't you?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
yes the fishers got rights to the known 1715 wrecks in the area in their hard fought and rightfully won court victory over the greedy and grabby state and fed goverments * however on the dry beach sand is fair game -- but most folks have a better reason than that to zip the lip -- blab and your "sweet" treasure hunting spot will soon be overran with folks ala "its a mad mad world"-- so most folks don't share their info -- and since its not in their best interest to "talk", can't really blame em can you?

what the grubbermint gets , it keeps --it doesn't sell --it just amasses stuff --(when the grubbermint wants money it taxes its citizens more in the case of state or just prints more of it in the case of the fed) now the govt "keepers" of said loot --have been known to lose a bit of it now and then :wink:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
wheres my manners --welcome to t net tropic cat --
Ivan

Tropic Cat

Sep 30, 2009
ivan salis said:
wheres my manners --welcome to t net tropic cat --
Ivan

thanks.

Incidentally I had a copy of the court document between Fisher and Florida and I took the time to read it legalize and all. This was the original court document from the '90's. At that time they were given beach rights in some areas. I made sure I put disclaimers on my web page as I'd like to avoid legal involvement.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
good move to do that -- basically to the best of my knowledge ( not a expert ) to date so long as folks stay out of the water around the close to shore wrecks that the fishers have rights to and stay on the beach and outta the dunes -- basically water line to dunes foot , I've never heard of anyone having problems , however get in the water with a detector near their wrecks or go messing about in the "protected" dunes --sea oats . you know. -- yep then you got problems , count on it.

beaches --meaning high water line to dunes foot are normally thought of a "public property" unable to be deeded to a private person or bussiness.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread