oct 12th ,1715 letter gov.of cuba to viceroy mexico --11 salvage vessels sent *

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
on Oct 12th ,1715 cassa torres sent a letter to the viceroy of mexico--stating that he sent 11 vessels * out to salvage a few right away a few a day or so later .

however in his Oct 18th. 1715 letter -- he said --- of the 8 vessels engaged in salvage --- word reached me yesterday (oct 17th) that one wrecked *

humm if 11 vessels were sent out of havana on / about Oct 12th --- yet on Oct 18th (6 days later) only 8 vessels are reported as being engaged in salvage efforts ---what became of the other 3 "missing" or unaccounted for salvage vessels? :icon_scratch:

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
They may have been used to transport any cargo and treasure and ships tackle that washed ashore after the hurricane and was waiting to be picked up, they may have been utilized as fishing boats to provide food for the survivors and salvors, or to transport people to St Augustine or Havana. Maybe of the 11 that left Havana, only 8 made it to the Florida coast and of those 8, one was wrecked. Of course these are all just guesses. :dontknow:

Keep digging Ivan!

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
no it was stated that all (of the 11 salvage ) vessels made it to the "wrecksites" safely --- the later letters states that of the 8 vessels engaged in salvage --word reached me only yesterday (oct 17th) that one wrecked about 5 leauges from havana -- she was fully and totally salvaged however it noted)--- so it was one of * --- that leaves 3 vessels unaccounted for by my accounting ---could one of these 3 be the nassau sound wreck --enroute to spain with royal goodies and vip's?

lots of folks think that the 15 leagues to the "leeward"of st augustine remark in his sept 20th ,1715 letter --means northward ( ie nassau sound)---what if it in fact means "southward"? of st augustine as in wreckage was found 15 leagues south of it ( the missing 1715 main fleet vessels wreckage)--- what if its not refering to the nassau sound wreck at all?

what if the nassau sound wreck is a 1715 fleet salvage vessel ? maybe one of these three "missing" salvage vessels ? on its way back to spain --loaded with VIPS and GOODIES ? more checking is needed.

mad4wrecks

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2004
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, DetectorPro Headhunter, Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Leeward refers to the commonly known wind direction, not just the wind direction at a particular point in time. These were seasoned mariners. C'mon Ivan, you have to know they were referring to winds blowing out of the south, and "leeward of St Augustine" is to the north of St. Augustine.

C

Cappy Z.

Please keep up the banter...I love it..and it's a great learning experience. Who knows, I might invest some of my millions ( :D) into one your projects...

BB

OP
OP
ivan salis

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
look up which way the wind "normally blows" this time of year in / around the st augustine area --- I would say think of it ike this "wreckage of a large vessel or vessels was found on the coast north (towards) st augustine"----- normally speaking I might be in agreement with you. -- but what if the letter mean north of their position towards st augustine -- (say like wreckage from the concepcion * --survivors from which were found after floating on a hatchcover for a few says at sea --having great difficultly getting to shotre because of the reefs in the area --- note salmon says --- "due to the reefs off shore" ---- the cape area and up to around st augustine --are noted for there abundance of reefs --esp around the cape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread