1715 onshore storage site

billinstuart

Oct 17, 2004
stuart..the treasure coast..well, used to be
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur with a WOT!
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Saw something last nite on a pirates show about the Spanish having set up a storage site onshore after recovering treasure from the 1715 fleet. They recovered more than they could carry, so they stored it until another ship could come and transport the rest to Spain. The pirates raided the site, and stole it. Anyhow, was that site near the present Sebastian Inlet? Any info?

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
you bet it was --some say behind the mclarty measum--- they called it the salvagers camp-- the english (raider / pirate jennings) took quite a bit from the camp but there most likely stuff still there kip wagner stumbled on it if I remember correctly his dog was drinking some water at a spot where he was looking and it tipped him off to look there--(fresh water source --important thing for people back then)---like they say every dog has his day ;D ;D ;D---Ivan

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
YES there is still Treasure buried at this location.
Common sense will tell you this.
1. Recovered was made but so much was recovered that the Ships could not bring it all back.
2. Now the Pirates show up and take the treasure-where did they put it-remember there was some much the Spanish could not hold all there was so how did the Pirates take it all.
3. If the Spanish could not take it all the Pirates sure could not.
Peg Leg

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Much was also taken by some of the crew who "jumped ship" A lot of that was recovered in St. Augustine but not all. Some was buried for safe keeping along the way to St. A and never retrieved.
Diverlynn

pcolaboy

Sep 5, 2006
Pensacola, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer XS
That is so awesome! Does anyone know if the area has been developed? ::)

If anyone needs a "birddog" to go check it out, I'm your pooch! ;D

Pcola

rgecy

Bronze Member
Jun 14, 2004
Beaufort, SC
Detector(s) used
Garrett Sea Hunter Mk II
Pcola,
The area right around McClarty's is not over developed. But you can bet Kip Wagner and others combed that site pretty well. What I thought was interesting is the stories of the Spanish hiding the treasure in the Indian River so it couldn't be found as easy.

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
Here is something amazing.
A few of the ships actually went over the strip of land and sink IN the Indian River but there are a lot of mangroves and will be very hard to check out.
I suggest if you are serious you should attach a mag to the bottom of flat bottom jon boat or a deep probe metal detector. I also suggest you use a fiberglass boat.
I have heard runors all my life about gold coins being reovered by fishermen.
I know for a FACT that a guy I know tripped over a 12 gold bar bcause I actually held the bar in my hands. It was NOT on the Ocean side but to the west.
Yes I would think that this area was covered pretty well but using OLD DETECTORS and nothing like is available today.
Peg Leg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread