Silver Member
Oct 5, 2006
New Zealand
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kia Ora,
Apart from the original, tragic sinking of the SS Elingamite, at the Three Kings Islands,
55 kms NW of New Zealand, in 1902,
fame and tragedy have followed the treasure.
In 1969, a group of kiwi divers, took huge risks and recovered treasure from the wreck. She had been carrying 6,000 gold half-sovereigns and a huge amount of silver plus valuable jewellery from an aristocratic family.
I have been fortunate enough to see some of the treasure, in the ship Museum at Waitangi - before some was stolen.
The Museum was on board an old sailing scow, permanently tied up
http://www.nzmuseums.co.nz/MuseumDetail.asp?MuseumID=136
The Restaurant on the ship employed a young guy who disappeared with a heap of the treasure. He was finally captured. In the year 2000 he admitted stealing and got 8 years - never told where the treasure was hidden. Apparently worth $300,000
Unfortunately, the story of this animal doesn't stop there. This same creature is now, hopefully inside forever for his heinous crimes he has more recently committed.
And there is still no sign of the treasure.

as I said - never ending

As to the kiwi divers, Kelly Tarlton, Wade Doak and if I recall correctly, John Pettit, among others.
The Ship Museum was Kelly's and he designed the underwater experience on Auckland's waterfront.
Wade Doak, another hero of mine, started Project Interlock, a connection with dolphins - something I know about.
I add a link for your treasure pleasure. Cheers, Mike
http://www.orakeidive.co.nz/trip_reports_kings_2003.htm

Feb 28, 2007
Whangarei, New Zealand
what a dick, the other week end i was hoping on going up to have a look at it until my dad told me about this guy. after Kelly Tarlton and his teams hard hard work its a real same to see this happen. i also just read the book about them diving for the wreck, good book.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread