1715 Plate Fleet

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Hello Everyone...
I have started this topic as a place for sharing information,finds,maps etc... on the 1715 Plate Fleet located on Florida's Treasure Coast. Although I have not had a chance to hit the beaches down there yet, I hope to get down there next month once the beach traffic hopefully dies down a bit. Anyone with any input on this topic, please post!! I will post later with the info I have gathered after 2 months of researching, as a quick reference for those who may not be familiar with the legend.

Enjoy!!

Treasure Seeker

Sep 7, 2005
Appleton, WI
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI-2500, Garrett ACE 250, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello Blacksheep!

Look forward to seeing what you've gathered. I did want to point out that there is already a wealth of info regarding the 1715 Plate Fleet -- just search for 1715 in the search box and you'll get a plethora of info.

:)

Welcome!

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksheep 6, welcome to the Original Shipwreck Forum. I am sure that you will enjoy this site, and find a plethora of information on the 1715 Fleets, and much more. There are more than a few of us on this site who share your interest on this subject, and look forward to sharing information and thoughts with you. Our work is on going year round in the search for the remaining five lost ships. We are nearing the end of the summer dive season, so most don?t have too much time to spend online just yet. So if you think no one is interested do to slow responses to post, just remember the sign on the door ?Gone Fishing?.

Welcome, and happy hunting

Q

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Treasure and Wreckdiver-
Thanks for the Welcome Aboard. When I first became interested in the 1715 Fleet, this site was one of the first I came to looking for info. I found some info and alot of good links to other information. The overview I'm compiling now is basically a quick reference guide that I plan to take with me when hitting the beaches down there (HOPEFULLY next month!). While in the process of doing this, I decided it would be easier if I listed each KNOWN ship individually and added the info below it (i.e. beach directions,GPS cords for the wreck,manifest vs. Spanish recovery vs. known modern recoveries etc...).The amount of info available and all the different sources for it has proved to be somewhat of a challenge,but a very interesting one to say the least. One facet of the 1715 Fleet that amazes me is that after 245 or so years (up to when Kip started finding it), so much of the treasure was right in the immediate vicinity of where it went down! You would think after countless undocumented hurricanes that had to have hit that area, the treasure would've been so spread out that it would have been damn near impossible to recover any sizeable amount in one localized area. Luckily this hasn't proved to be the case! The ships that have never been located are also VERY interesting!! And one last thought before I close...since about all the Spanish treasure ships of that age had a bad habit of "cookin the books" as to what was manifested vs. unlisted cargo--NO ONE really knows how much is lying in the sands waiting to be discovered, both on the beaches and in the water!! The quote "there's enough out there for everybody", is a gross under-statement!!

Good Hunting-
Blacksheep 6

I

imakeitwork

Blacksheep6.......

First of all welcome. Second, I actually worked a good section of beach in Ft. Pierce yesterday at the Southern most wreck site. I only turned up a few brass square nails but I spoke to another hunter who found a few half reales earlier in the week before the big surf carried tons of sand in. So there is still plenty of treasure out there waiting for us all. If we get a good strong nor easter this fall we'll be in good shape. Let me know when your coming to town and maybe we can get together and hunt.

HH Mike T.

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Hi Blacksheep,

I am another 1715 Fleet Researcher. However, I have found quite a bit of mis-information out here as well. Some things did not match up when I got out to the sites as well.

I am looking for serious honest partners to team up for fun, relaxation and serious treasure hunting on the Treasure Coast.

Partners must be willing to split all finds or the value of such if sold 50/50 regardless of which partner member makes the find.
Teamwork is the only way to make money on the treasure coast. And teams are important for safety.

Anyway, you should know that I have run across some interesting experiences and information on the coast. The South Beaches are heavily scrutinized by local police, and there is a lack of public trust there as well. The North Beaches are free to roam with the exception of obeying any laws regarding sea grass preservation (stay off the dunes), and areas that may be off limits in certain seasons such as animal santuaries.

I've spoke with a number of entities in that area to protect myself legally, and can't seem to gain credible information that matches up. The Indian River Sheriffs office tells me that there are no restrictions on the public beaches.

The problem is a lack of signs so you know where you are at in terms of state park boundaries, federal land boundaries etc.

A site I like to go to in order to check weather conditions out there is www.ronjons.com

Click on "Surfsites" at the bottom" and when the page loads go to "Sebastian Inlet" upper left corner.

You will get a webcam that shows the conditions out at Sebastian for the day, as well as the surf report. A bad surf report is good for us. The lower the waves the better. Also, towards the bottom are some icons for weather links and tide times.

Eateries are hard to find out there. There is a nice Publix in Sebastian, and I will warn you not to eat at the Burger King there.

The storms last year tore up many of access docks and staircases to the beaches. Many have been restored, but not all.
I advise caution on shortcuts as sometimes the land suddenly ends and you will walk right off a bluff.

Chucks Steakhouse is one of these bad areas. You have to park at a lower beach site and walk up towards the Chucks area.

High Tide can come in quickly, so be sure to watch your clock with your tide information, and be in a place where you can get off the beach, as some areas can trap you against the water (and sharks).

The waves and rip tides can be very powerful. Even if there isn't a rip tide, the waves can pull you pretty far out at times.
So if not scuba diving, or armed with a surfboard, stay below the waistline if out in the water.

Sharks at Sebastian I understand like to come in with the northwest winds.

And don't forget the gators. Indian River bumps up against the beach with only thin land and A1A between.

For Jellyfish stings take "Apple Cider Vinegar", and bandages if you get a gash on shells or something.
Wear gloves to protect your hands, and ....your set to go !

Enjoy !

Sheila

aquanut

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2005
Sebastian, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Tesoro Tiger Shark
Hey Blacksheep,
I've worked the beach at Sebastion/Wabasso for nearly 12 Years. You are scheduled at the right time, if you can hit right after a big storm or a good N'easter blow.
There is lots of information available on the 1715 fleet, and one of the easiest ways to get it is at the Mel Fisher's Museum in Sebastion. The museum is an inspiration
in itself, but the small books you'll find there on the treasure beaches will give you as much information as you will need as far as where to look. Once you are on the beach, look at the lowest possible tide in calm seas for hits. If the water is rough, look to the dune line. If you are fortunate eough to find cuts in the beach sand that reach to the hard pan, check every square inch. All the silver and gold eventually work their way down to it.
Good Luck! ... Aquanut

itmaiden

Sep 28, 2005
Regarding Wabasso,

Unfortunately the staircase to the beach has not been rebuilt since last seasons hurricanes. They do have port-a-potties.
You have to climb down the dunes, or come from a different beach area. The dunes are a little steep at the old main entrance.

I found some old wood and metal from a ship last time I was there. The metal had basically turned to "slate" from the oxidation.
But it was a positive sign none the less.

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
So People...
Anyone have any beach/water finds since 9-05??? I have without a doubt, fallen down on furthering my 1715 research posts since that time (family issues)...just checkin in to see if anyone has had any luck...

Call the Ball...
Good Hunting...
Blacksheep6

C

captdenden9380

LIke everyone else i have been reading on 1715 for awhile, have read many books, forums ect. but i never really got a straight answer on where you can MD. i am not from florida so not sure of the laws. Are national parks off limits. Which area of "1715" can you hunt on the beachs? not looking to hunt the waters. thanks Capt. Den

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Capt. Den; First off I would like to welcome you to the TreasureNet Forums, and we hope that we can be of assistance to you in your quest to find your treasure. I would like to direct your attention to the category, LEGAL ISSUES then onto FLORIDA. The answers you are seeking wait for you there.

Happy Hunting

Q

The Seeker

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2005
Keep on Digging!
Detector(s) used
MINELAB Explorer-II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Blacksheep.....Good luck in all your searches when you go down I hope you find that spanish gold coin or piece of jewelry!!! What you can do is go onto the google search and punch in the 1715 plate fleet and it will give you plenty of info to keep you busy for years if you want.....
I have hunted the beaches between Cocoa Beach down to Fort pierce in which the best time would have been to get there after Hurricane Frances which the entire beach was washed away....It is a tragedy that there was so much damage there in and around Vero beach over a year ago. I got down there 2 and half week after the hurricane and the beach was already covered with sand.
I would start at the Sebastian Inlet around the old Chucks steak house that is still there its boarded up and work your way south from there and use the info you get of the net to assist you.....I hope this helps and Good Luck in your searches....... ;D Seeker

N

Newhobby

I have been reading the posts on here and found them very interesting and educational. I have purchased pretty much all the relavant books to the 1715 fleet and the Wabasso beach area. This looks like a very fun and if one is lucky financally rewarding hobby. I have already ordered my minelab excalibur 1000; it was a lot of moneybut hopefuly it will pay for it self someday.

I am considering speind a few days looking for gold coins at the Corrigans, Cannon, Cabin(both) and maybe one more. Between the maps in the books and the magnotometer data, and other government resources, one would think that the odds for success can be raised a bit. It seems the big question to answer is where have the beaches been unrestored? Have any of you been out there lately ?

Thanks,,

Dave

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, welcome aboard. Just about all the beaches up and down Brevard and Indian River Counties have been restored and that unfortunately includes just about every shipwreck beach along the Space and Treasure Coast, and in some cases, beaches were restored a second and in a very few cases some are undergoing a third restoration as I type this, in less than a two year period of time.
Additionally, the old Chucks Steakhouse was torn down, like three years ago. It?s a good thing since the hurricanes the last couple of seasons would have most assuredly destroyed the dilapidated building.
I hate to say this, but it?s not looking good for hunting the treasure beaches until the next hurricane rips up the coast line, and pulls all that crap they were trying to pass off as sand, off of our beaches. The waters just off shore look like they are already going to be clearer than last year, so that?s something I guess. So, it looks like we just have to hit the beaches immediately following the next hurricane, and that?s pretty much been the story beachside the last couple of years.

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Well folks,all the local info posted here about the beach replenishing sure is a little bit discouraging...Funny those beaches could take care of themselves for 285 plus years and still be there...but now it seems man thinks Mother Nature needs a helping hand,which she doesn't...I guess the worst part for us TH'ers is that you damn near have to pray for a hurricane (which no one in their right mind would do) to mix things up again down there...One question arises though...Was the sand the beach was replenished with dredged from the immediate area offshore???If so,then the odds may be in our favor...Any reliable input on this from the locals would be greatly appreciated by all here...

In response to the post regarding where it's okay to MD on the beaches...to the best of my knowledge the "free-fire zone" still goes from the toe of the dunes to the waterline...regardless of whether it's a State owned area or not...HOWEVER...DO NOT use a MD in the water!!! If anyone has a link that can refute the zone...by all means...please post on this forum...

Good Hunting All...
Blacksheep6...

PhipsFolly

Sep 30, 2005
Treasure Coast, Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign Elite & Sovereign XS, Minelab Equinox 800 and Aquapulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All...

Wreckdiver1715 is correct about all the Space and Treasure Coast beaches having been filled in numerous times with "junk" sand. The bad news is that it isn't being dredged from offshore... we wish!! It was brought in from Orlando and other areas not even on the coastline hence the poor quality and garbage mixed in with this gray mess. Mother Nature's best left alone... now there's been talk of finding methods to make hurricanes fall apart before they hit land! I think the government needs to pull it's arrogant head out of it's a** and realize what that would do to our climate and oceans... not to mention beach hunting (haha!!)

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksheep6, I will take issue with your statement that you can not use the metal detector in the water. I would like to direct your attention to the Legal Issues thread in the miscellaneous section of the Forum. Then go to the thread ?Florida?. This thread will spell out in detail the places you can not use your detector underwater or on dry land. There are no laws that prohibit the use of a metal detector in the water, with the exceptions stated in that thread.
As for the use of dredged material from the ocean bottom, well that was hit and miss, some sections of beach were replenished with the dredge, and then hit again with truckloads of crap from the mainland. Of course, places like Cocoa Beach were replenished with dredging only; we would not want to put the crappy sand on any of the big tourist beaches.

Chagy

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2005
Florida
Detector(s) used
JW Fishers Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Hey Blacksheep 6

If you want to learn about the 1715 wrecks all you have to do is read the old posts in this forum, this forum it self is a crash course on the 1715 wrecks I believe you will find more information, maps, charts, etc. in this forum that anywere else.
Let us know when you will be coming down.

Happy hunting,

Chagy.........

N

Newhobby

Thanks Wreckdiver,

I really appreciate your advice, its too bad that we all have to hope for a hurricane that causes so much damage and heart ache to reclaim the treasures of the past. I had to bury my mother last month, so I apologize for taking so long to respond to your reply. I am from Michigan where the Great Lakes rule, so I am new to the salt water treasure hunting game, but I am very excited. I may relocate to Jacksonville, and would love to dive some of your histoic sites in FLA. Looks like I may have to sell my 22 foot I/O for someting more suitable for the big ponds. :)
Any new updated on the 1715 fleet?

Dave

wreckdiver1715

Bronze Member
May 20, 2004
Satellite Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dave, I am sorry for your recent loss, its always tough when we louse a parent.
Hurricanes are just a fact of life down this way, California has mud slides and earthquakes, the North east has nasty snow storms while the midwest gets hammered with tornado's. At least with hurricanes we have plenty of heads up and can get out of the way (well the smart folks move out of the way).
The water is clearing up in the vis department (50 feet), the wind has died down and the waves are getting smaller (2-3 feet). The days are getting longer, and the water temp is on the rise (75F), I would say that the spring dive season is shaping up very well for a long summer of hunting.
The sub-contractors on the 1715 fleet are just getting started, and I have not heard any reports of finds or bottom conditions just yet this season. However, as always... as soon as we hear any news we will post it for all to see.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread