1715 Plate Fleet

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
I want to personally apologize for my choice of words.I'm a newbie th'er and didn't know that the words i used were so "loaded".The American Indians believed that the Great Spirit owned the land and we were just stewards.That's how i feel.I'm just trying to be a good steward and a good example to my kids.I've just discovered th'ing and i'm as excited as my kids @Christmas.I've been looking for a Brotherhood of Adventurers and i truly didn't want to alienate or upset anybody.Again, everybody sorry.I'll keep my ears open and will watch what i say.I'm here to learn, have fun, make friends and possibly find something beside beercans. Keegah

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keegah said:
I want to personally apologize for my choice of words.I'm a newbie th'er and didn't know that the words i used were so "loaded".The American Indians believed that the Great Spirit owned the land and we were just stewards.That's how i feel.I'm just trying to be a good steward and a good example to my kids.I've just discovered th'ing and i'm as excited as my kids @Christmas.I've been looking for a Brotherhood of Adventurers and i truly didn't want to alienate or upset anybody.Again, everybody sorry.I'll keep my ears open and will watch what i say.I'm here to learn, have fun, make friends and possibly find something beside beercans. Keegah

LMAO!!!! Learn to live with the beer cans buddy. Personally, I think the guy who invented the pop tab should be strung up and left to dry in the sun....lol.

You bring up an excellent point. While the white man was laughing at the Indians for being so stupid as to sell their land for a few trinkets. The Indian was laughing and saying "don't these idiots know that no one can own the land". The earth is a gift and we are only it's caretakers.

Welcome to the forum, to the hobby and have a great time out on the beaches!!!!
Deepsix

FISHEYE

Bronze Member
Feb 27, 2004
lake mary florida
Detector(s) used
Chasing Dory ROV,Swellpro Splash 2 pro waterproof drone,Swellpro Spry+ wa,Wesmar SHD700SS Side Scan Sonar,U/W Mac 1 Turbo Aquasound by American Electronics,Fisher 1280x,Aquasound UW md,Aqua pulse AQ1B
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
right now with very high scrap prices for non ferrous metals,you should be happy to find beer cans and pop tops.my last trip to the beach was paid for by aluminium cans that i found on the beach.

as far as digging in the dunes.theres no reason for it.just md at high tide and watch the ocean do it for you.

keegah

Mar 26, 2007
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sovereign GT/Fisher Impulse/eyes + hands
Thanks, guys. BTW, what are the best source books to get started on the 1715 fleet?

Trez

May 10, 2006
Treasure Coast (Vero Beach) to Sebastian
Detector(s) used
Sov Elite, CZ20, Minelab Sovereign XS, Explorer II, My eyeballs to bloody fingers have done me well also.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The book that started it all, is book (1.)

1. Kip Wagner "Pieces of Eight" - a must have book. (Bible of the 1715 Fleet)
2. "Sunken Treasure on Florida Reefs" copyright 1993 by Robert Weller (Excellant Book)
3. Florida's Golden Galleons - The Search for the 1715 Spanish Treasure Fleet
by Robert Forrest Burgess (Author), Carl J. Clausen (Author)
4. Shipwrecks Near Wabasso Beach (Paperback)
by Robert Weller (Author)

these are a few good starter books.
this will get you started.....

Trez

BobE

Greenie
May 15, 2007
The Basics:

Florida’s Treasure Coast & the 1715 Fleet

In between Sebastian, FL and Stuart, FL lies miles of beaches called the Treasure Coast where during the 17th and 18th centuries Spanish ships and galleons wrecked along this coast. Some of the ships were filled with unbelievable treasures from the New World and the Orient that were destined for Spain but instead crashed into the outer reefs and sandy bottoms creating hidden treasure waiting to be rediscovered.
Modern history had forgotten about these shipwreck tragedies along this coast until a treasure hunter named Kip Wagner in the early 1960 wrote a book called Pieces of Eight describing his adventures rediscovering the 1715 Fleet that sank all along this coast and the subsequent reaping of millions of dollars of treasure for himself, a few friends and the state of Florida from the sunken fleet.
Today, Wagner’s adventures and finds still motivate treasure hunters, researchers and archaeologists alike to search for the remaining artifacts of known and unknown shipwrecks. Silver and gold coins and other treasure are still being found on these beaches and the adjacent ocean floor. If you visit the Treasure Coast bring your metal detector. You might bring home a piece of Spanish colonial history with you.
For an armchair adventure of the trials and tribulations of shipwreck treasure hunting in the early 1960’s you must read “Pieces of Eight ” by Kip Wagner. He takes you from his first bout of treasure fever to the eventual successful recovery of millions of dollars of treasure and artifacts. Along the way he reveals to the reader the failures and the disappointments encountered and the amount of dedication, persistence, hard work, innovation, and ingenuity that was needed to succeed. Wagner included in his book many pictures of the treasure recovered from the 1715 fleet but if you want to see actual 1715 fleet treasure its on display at two museums in Sebastian, FL.
At the McLarty Treasure Museum at Sebastian Inlet State Park actual 1715 fleet treasures and artifacts can be viewed for a mere one dollar per person entry fee. If you have time see the Arts and Entertainment production (The Queen’s Jewels and the 1715 Fleet) that is shown throughout the day at no addition cost to you. The museum itself occupies land once used as the survivors and salvaging camp for the 1715 Spanish Plate Fleet and is a National Historical Landmark today. Metal detecting is allowed on its beach front if you can’t wait to try to find your own treasure but access to the beach is about a quarter of a mile away. If you want to see more actual 1715 fleet treasure or to buy an artifact from the 1715 fleet stop by the Mel Fisher's Treasures museum.
Mel Fisher passed away in 1998, but his family still operates the Mel Fisher's Treasures museum. Located at 1322 U.S. Highway One Sebastian, Fl the museum was founded by Mel Fisher to display some of the artifact from the 1715 fleet that his team discovered after he was invited in the early 1960’s to join the successful Kip Wagner team to search for the remaining 1715 fleet treasure. Besides the museum, the price of admission includes a short movie about Mel Fisher and admission to their gift shop. If you must have a coin from the 1715 fleet or from the Atocha they will sell you one but first you should try to find one yourself on the Treasure Coast.
Every year metal detecting treasure hunters make the Treasure Coast live up to its name by finding treasure on the its beaches. You might find some 1715 fleet artifacts to take home with you if you have time to metal detect for a few hours. To increase your chances, follow the directions given in “Shipwrecks Near Wabasso Beach” by Frogfoot Weller to find the specific beaches were gold and silver coins from the 1715 fleet have been found or detected. Detecting is allowed on most beaches all day long but most in water detecting is prohibited by law. While on vacation, one of my fellow metal detecting club members detected a gold coin from the 1715 fleet in December 2005 and his wife or son detected a silver coin called a four real on the same day. The chances of finding an artifact or coin from the 1715 fleet remains slim but you might be one of the lucky ones like my fellow club members were.

Salvor6

Silver Member
Feb 5, 2005
Port Richey, Florida
Detector(s) used
Aquapulse, J.W. Fisher Proton 3, Pulse Star II, Detector Pro Headhunter, AK-47
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
In March 1989 an elderly couple on vacation found a perfect 1715 gold royal doubloon on Wabasso beach valued at $80,000!

J

jeffthecyclist

keegah said:
Thanks, guys. BTW, what are the best source books to get started on the 1715 fleet?

I'm not sure how old you are or where you live but one of the best sources is Bob "Frogfoot" Weller's seminar. It isn't terribly expensive and you will learn much more than you will in a book. It will be current too. The books are all outdated; although generally accurate. See reference to the seminar down a few topics in this forum; started by Jimi D Pirate. I am not related to Frogfoot in any way (other than being outbid by him on a coin cluster at the Tampa auction) but I did attend his seminar 2 years ago. There are only a few a year and the first one starts very soon.

Dale1122

Apr 17, 2007
Sebastian, FL
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tigershark
Trez said:
The book that started it all, is book (1.)

1. Kip Wagner "Pieces of Eight" - a must have book. (Bible of the 1715 Fleet)
2. "Sunken Treasure on Florida Reefs" copyright 1993 by Robert Weller (Excellant Book)
3. Florida's Golden Galleons - The Search for the 1715 Spanish Treasure Fleet
by Robert Forrest Burgess (Author), Carl J. Clausen (Author)
4. Shipwrecks Near Wabasso Beach (Paperback)
by Robert Weller (Author)

these are a few good starter books.
this will get you started.....

Trez

I also enjoyed "The Rainbow Chasers" by Tommy Gore and T.L. Armstrong, written thru the eyes of the state field agent

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Anyone heard from Diverlynn lately??? Was hoping for some updates.Secondary to that,here are the 1715 lease coordinates compliments of RGecy from another thread...

BENT ANCHOR S32G 27.55.7N X 80.29.12W; East to 27.55.7N X 80.28.57W; South-southeast to 27.53.28N X 80.27.24W; West to 27.53.28N X 80.27.68W; then follow the mean low tide line to point of beginning.
CABIN WRECK S27 27.49.8N X 80.25.55W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of mean low tide line.
DOUGLAS BEACH S26 27.25.3N X 80.16.50W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
POWER PLANT S25 27.21.2N X 80.13.65W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
ANCHOR WRECK S23 27.48.2N X 80.24.70W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
SPRING OF WHITBY S23 27.46.0N X 80.23.83W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
RIO MAR S23 27.38.3N X 80.20.90W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
SANDY POINT S23 27.35.8N X 80.19.65W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
UNKNOWN S23 27.19.0N X 80.12.30W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line.
CORRIGANS WRECK S25 27.46.2N X 80.22.67W is the center point of a 3,000 yard radius excluding all land west of the mean low tide line

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Hi ya Blacksheep 6,
I am here. Been updating our web site www.ameliaresearch.com this week. Was on the boat til Thursday afternoon. Heading back on Tuesday. We are hoping to move in to shore another 100' when the seas calms down. Boy was it rough to swim in to shore to come home!
We plan to bring a new skiff down this week.

Diverlynn

This weeks photos

Attachments

• dougwelding.jpg
    dougwelding.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 820
  • sunsetsm.jpg
    sunsetsm.jpg
    16.2 KB · Views: 780

malady

May 28, 2007
Florida
Hello,
I wanted to say that I just discovered this forum exist a few days ago. I was at an event that had a couple of men from the Odyssey. I was so impressed and all ears to his story how the company came about and all the trials they had to get to the place where their at today. I did buy a little trinket that was found on one of there treasure sites at the event and was very suprised the one lady that worked for them coaxed me into wearing a beautiful neclace with a silver reale around my neck. She notice I was staring at it through the glass and said since I admired it so much at least I should put it on and touch it. ha. It was for sale so I presume it was a sales pitch but non the less, I was honored. Since I was in elementary school, I have went every summer to St. Augusting and thats where my passion for history, treasure ships, and pirates were sparked. Funny thing, I have never owned a MD. I have tried them, and the person that owned them never really knew how to work them either so when I would hear a noise, I wouldnt know what it was picking up. I didnt know how to set them and all the dials that it entails. So here is my plight, can anyone recommend a really good one but has simple instraments where its easy to use and I wont just pick up tin foil readings? ha. I live in Florida, and looking into buying a boat, one with a cabin so I can stay out on the water while exploring. If anyone ever is going over to Sebastian area, would be fun to meet up one day to get some pointers. I not scuba certified but will get that too, and yes, even though I grew up on the beaches of Florida, I still have a fear of sharks oh and recieved my first jellyfish sting last summer. All I could do was laugh because of the people staring at me as I did my little dance trying to get out of the water and back on shore quickly.
thanks and I love this forum and the abundance of info from people with the same passion.
MALADY

deepsix47

Jul 26, 2006
Detector(s) used
Fisher Impulse, Fisher CZ-21, Minelab X-Terra 70
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
malady said:
Hello,
I wanted to say that I just discovered this forum exist a few days ago. I was at an event that had a couple of men from the Odyssey. I was so impressed and all ears to his story how the company came about and all the trials they had to get to the place where their at today. I did buy a little trinket that was found on one of there treasure sites at the event and was very suprised the one lady that worked for them coaxed me into wearing a beautiful neclace with a silver reale around my neck. She notice I was staring at it through the glass and said since I admired it so much at least I should put it on and touch it. ha. It was for sale so I presume it was a sales pitch but non the less, I was honored. Since I was in elementary school, I have went every summer to St. Augusting and thats where my passion for history, treasure ships, and pirates were sparked. Funny thing, I have never owned a MD. I have tried them, and the person that owned them never really knew how to work them either so when I would hear a noise, I wouldnt know what it was picking up. I didnt know how to set them and all the dials that it entails. So here is my plight, can anyone recommend a really good one but has simple instraments where its easy to use and I wont just pick up tin foil readings? ha. I live in Florida, and looking into buying a boat, one with a cabin so I can stay out on the water while exploring. If anyone ever is going over to Sebastian area, would be fun to meet up one day to get some pointers. I not scuba certified but will get that too, and yes, even though I grew up on the beaches of Florida, I still have a fear of sharks oh and recieved my first jellyfish sting last summer. All I could do was laugh because of the people staring at me as I did my little dance trying to get out of the water and back on shore quickly.
thanks and I love this forum and the abundance of info from people with the same passion.
MALADY

Welcome to the forum. One of the most expert we have on machines will be Sandman. We differ in opinions on them but he is about the best source. Many of us here visit the treasure beaches often. If you want to come along sometime just let us know. The best way is through a PM.
Deepsix

diverlynn

Oct 25, 2006
New Smyrna Beach
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000
Blacksheep 6,
With the wind blowing, I have stayed home. Taking one of my16 year old boys (yes, twins) out with me tomorrow. Until this wind dies down we can't even move the boat closer in much less dive.
Will up date when there's more going on.
Take care
Diverlynn

Attachments

• P1000039.JPG
    P1000039.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 709

Peg Leg

Bronze Member
May 29, 2006
DiverLynn,
Your photos are OUTSTANDING and the POLLY-L is one heck of a recovery ship. It beats anything else I have every seen along the Florida Gold Coast.
I do not doubt that your guys will start getting some SUPER results as soon and the waters calm down a bit.
Peg Leg

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Diverlynn...Gotta agree with Peg that your pics are the best...even when only the local sunset...and Polly-L is the bomb as far as recovery vessels go down there...please keep us updated when you go back "on station"...

OP
OP
Blacksheep 6

Blacksheep 6

Aug 10, 2005
Southeastern Sector
Conquistador Crew,Seahunter,and Diverlynn of the Polly-L...Any updates,finds or photos from anyone down there??? Those of us that are landlocked for the time being need our fix...

Safe Seas and Good Hunting to all 3 crews...

Blacksheep6...

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread