1740 KGII Halfpenny finishes off 2007(ADDED more photos)

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My son and I went out this afternoon for our traditional last hunt of the year together. In years past some great finds have been made by us on the last day or two of the year.
Today was not a great last hunt but it was a successful hunt.

My son got a blowhole button (mid 1700's style) a Gilt button and a possible coin that could be a French Liard(1600's) or a farthing, but then again it might be a button. He is still working on trying to ID it.
The soil was not too kind at this site to our finds as evidenced by my find for the day.

After almost two hours of nothing worth mentioning that I found, I was resigned to the fact that unless I got something soon, all I would have to show for the last hunt of the year was a fired musketball.

My son took me over to another homesite in the area and it was on the fringe of that site that I finally got the sweet sound of a copper on my XS. I yelled for Dan to come over and check the signal before I dug (we always do that) he uses a Fisher CZ-70 and it is nice to compare readings when we can. Dan agreed it was a copper but like the KGI I found a couple days ago, the depth was very shallow. At 4 inches a copper did appear in the dirt pile! Right away by the coating on it, we knew the coin was not going to be exactly one of my best. But, it is good enough and I am proud to say I got another Colonial in 2007, which ended up being a decent year for me considering all that happened.

May 2008 be a great year for all of us, and maybe I will get a Chain Cent in 08 :)

Happy New Year

Don in South Jersey

Attachments

• Site 224 finding 1740KGIIred.jpg
    Site 224 finding 1740KGIIred.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 639
  • cleaning1740.jpg
    cleaning1740.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 626
Upvote 0

COUNTRY GIRL

Silver Member
Aug 17, 2006
WESTERN MASS
What a day! I can't wait until your son ID's the .......? What a thrill when that halfpenny cleaned up :o! I forget what the wax you use, would you share again? Keep digging for us that can't! :)

donny nj

Jan 19, 2005
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don hows the Chiggers in your area.....

BTW nice finds?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread