1753 KGii, Complete Shoe Buckle, Mystery Pewter Piece, Beautiful Buckle Frag

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found a couple other cabin sites today. The finds came hard from these sites but added up to a great day. I have no explanation as to why I find all of these shoe buckles. This has to be over 20. I'm guessing it's the rough areas I hunt. Lots of steep banks by rivers and remote areas. Found a fragment that I so wish was a complete frame. The pewter piece is likely from a piece of furniture? The 1753 KGii is not from the same site as the other coins but has that same nice patina. I'm beat and laying down to watch some basketball
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

Upvote 33

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
I've always said that colonial areas tend to produce consistent finds from site to site, and you're definitely proving that. But I continue to be amazed at how you're able to keep putting your coil over those awesome whole shoe buckles. I can't even imagine how they came to be lost in that condition. You have amassed a great collection of these artifacts, and I may need to get a nice group shot from you :wink:. And another outstanding copper too. Well done my friend.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things are happening Abe. The first is you are building up quality keepers to have a great year and excellent annual post... and the 2nd is you are putting yourself in the position to make that killer find. It's being able to maintain this is how one has an incredible year detecting... with the exception of one find so awesome the rest would not matter a whole lot.

Rick (Nova Scotia)

Silver Member
May 8, 2008
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Omega, F75, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The complete buckle is sweet.
Regardless of how nice the frag. is it just can't compete with complete.
I don't know why you find so many either, it's just the way it is, I'm in my 9th year of mainly hunting old type sites, and have yet to get a complete shoe buckle I maybe have 3 complete frames, and lots of various parts, but a buckle like yours in this post is still on my wish list.
Strange as it seems once you find one of something you seem to find more. long story for another time...

Great hunt
Good finds

Good luck out there.

Rick

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice spot you found with some great recoveries . Congrats

metalev4

Bronze Member
Aug 12, 2006
Loving the condition of your coppers, they might rival the South Carolina sugar sand brass. Shoe buckles are very nice as well, you have had a banner couple of weeks.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it, one less complete shoe buckle on EBay [emoji12]

The coppers are freakishly stunning. 250 years of lime and fertilizer have obliterated any coppers I find except for ones found in the woods or around house sites that haven't been cultivated. Can't wait to see what you find once you get that dingy in the water!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The way I see it, one less complete shoe buckle on EBay [emoji12]

The coppers are freakishly stunning. 250 years of lime and fertilizer have obliterated any coppers I find except for ones found in the woods or around house sites that haven't been cultivated. Can't wait to see what you find once you get that dingy in the water!

I'll reply to some comments tomorrow but couldn't pass this beauty up lol. Just when I think it's fading away....my good old buddy Joey swoops in. Might as well laugh about it bro. Wish my eBay buckles looked a little better. I'm too damn cheap to bid on the really nice ones 8-)

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Love the condition of your finds lately Abe. The KG and the shoe buckle are in excellent dug relic condition.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Abe should stop using shoe laces and bring the shoe buckle back in style. :thumbsup: It's not fair... the way I see it is I'm the best person to find a complete shoe buckle, but if not me, then anyone else on tnet should dig it... that way I can still enjoy it. Ha. Abe, consider a tnet name change to ShoeBuckleAhab8.

Honestly it must be boring for him to find complete shoe buckles. It's probably like, "[yawn] oh look, another complete shoe buckle. oh bother"

I do agree he should bring show buckles back. Although they only went out of style a dozen years ago in Maine, which explains why he finds so many! Lol

Z.K.

Bronze Member
Jun 16, 2015
The Grants
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Herr Schuhmacher strikes again! Gotta say, that buckle fragment is one of the prettiest things I've seen on this site.

Fantastic consecutive hunts, Abe.

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet finds abe, those shoe buckles you find are killer! , awesome kg too!

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beauty hunt Sir Ahab. My text back to you after those pics said it all. I'm happy for you like I'd be happy for a friend banging a supermodel. I'm a bit jealous but happy for you all the same.

NICE KG, beauty buttons, and of course what's a hunt without a complete buckle?! I just wish that one frag was complete. That would be unique. One more cabin to find bro...you can do it!!

Thanks buddy. Taking a break from the cabin site. Heading off to the War of 1812 button site whenever possible. Gotta try out that new kayak

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't get over the condition of these coppers man... They have such a great patina on them. Obviously the complete shoe buckle makes me angry... they are my absolute favorites and that's one less that I have a chance at digging :laughing7: Incredible buckle dude. At some point, if you build a display, it'd be sweet to see all your buckles together. Can't wait to see what else comes from this place and so happy you got yourself onto such a sick spot.

I may never find another site that's so friendly to the coppers. I used to see people post those beautiful green coppers and think I would never find one. The right sandy soil conditions and the lack of acidic trees. Not an easy thing to find by any means. The strange thing is that most of my nicer coins have come from very close to the ocean. Don't know man. Here's a really bad pic of the shoe buckles all together
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1458607273.675732.jpg

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin...That buckle is a great find too...Wish that buckle frag was complete, It would have been a beauty...Congrats

Yup those fancy ones always seem to be broken....maybe some day

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice digs! I wonder if that was a patriotic buckle, with a rattlesnake and 13 eggs?

Never thought about buckle but the attachment point certainly seems feasible.

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AMAZING finds buddy! Man it's been a while since I've gotten a complete shoe buckle and i'm getting an itch to find another. Maybe those cabins were less wealthy than that first one hence the lack of finds.

I believe you're right on with the wealth difference. The first site was a known mill owner who's family was into lots of trade and business

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've always said that colonial areas tend to produce consistent finds from site to site, and you're definitely proving that. But I continue to be amazed at how you're able to keep putting your coil over those awesome whole shoe buckles. I can't even imagine how they came to be lost in that condition. You have amassed a great collection of these artifacts, and I may need to get a nice group shot from you :wink:. And another outstanding copper too. Well done my friend.

I have always been baffled at finding complete buckles. Hard to understand how they were lost. You would think at some point a matching pair would be found. Out of the 20 I've found none have matched. Pretty remarkable. All I want is a silver one someday. Just one silver shoe buckle

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two things are happening Abe. The first is you are building up quality keepers to have a great year and excellent annual post... and the 2nd is you are putting yourself in the position to make that killer find. It's being able to maintain this is how one has an incredible year detecting... with the exception of one find so awesome the rest would not matter a whole lot.

It's exciting to have so many coins and some early military buttons so early in the season. I just keep owlish ing these cabin sites were about 20-40 years older. The coins and buttons from the last quarter of the 18th century and early 19th century are some of the rarest and most special. But I can't complain about pre 1750 coins in nice condition and cool relics. I so hope this is the season that I find an ultra rare find. I will keep putting myself in the right spots and the detecting gods can do as they see fit

OP
OP
Ahab8

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The complete buckle is sweet.
Regardless of how nice the frag. is it just can't compete with complete.
I don't know why you find so many either, it's just the way it is, I'm in my 9th year of mainly hunting old type sites, and have yet to get a complete shoe buckle I maybe have 3 complete frames, and lots of various parts, but a buckle like yours in this post is still on my wish list.
Strange as it seems once you find one of something you seem to find more. long story for another time...

Great hunt
Good finds

Good luck out there.

Rick

Thanks Rick. The shoe buckles never get old. It's funny I remember seeing some of your multiple old coin hunts when I first started and thinking "I'd love to find just one old coin." To find double digit pre 1750 coins took me back to some of the Canadian boys crazy hunts. Fun to get a few in good condition. When you getting out buddy?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread