1766 PITT token medal? 7 coin large Cent spill UPDATED PICS !

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Had a great weekend...Started off with a 1837 canada token *cleaning* a 1820 Large Cent...on saturdays hunt...On sunday went to a site i did a little research on...I found this large token...wasnt sure what it was...I looked it up on coinfacts...Its a 1766 no date Pitt token..no stamp act...The back reads *The man who having saved the parent pleaded with success for her children* That alone would have made my weekend...Search around 2 other cellar holes...nada..went back to the first one and hunted the pasture area...Got a nice signal and BAM!!!! my first half cent *draped bust*....I called my buddy over to show him and then i said, i need to rescan the hole BAM!!! Large Cent...And when i finished i ended up with 6 Large Cents and the Half Cent...I took before pics ...and im cleaning them up now....9 coppers and a Pitt token...I am a happy guy :thumbsup:

I updated the coin pics...Thought they cleaned up nice...They looked pretty bad in first pic :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 1766 pitt token.jpg
    1766 pitt token.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,445
  • 1766 pitt rev.jpg
    1766 pitt rev.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,447
  • coin spill.jpg
    coin spill.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,441
  • spill obv.jpg
    spill obv.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 823
  • spill rev.jpg
    spill rev.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 814
  • 1804 obv.jpg
    1804 obv.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 821
  • 1804 rev.jpg
    1804 rev.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 814
Upvote 0

pennyfarmer

Oct 12, 2006
West Haven, UT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1766 PITT token medal? 7 coin large Cent spill

Unreal, Very fantastic. Thanks for posting.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Wow! You had a great day. That Pitt token is awsome. The PA boys will love this post. :thumbsup:

dwayne sueno

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2008
upstate ny
Detector(s) used
se pro
Primary Interest:
Other

great weekend. i dream of little spills like yours.

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Now that's a great pocket spill! Please post back with a picture of them cleaned up.... ;D

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Super amount of coins to be found, that would make anybody's day! Hope they clean up decent enough for you. As far as the Pitt token, it must be a medal and not token and not sure but would bet it was made at a later time. I know there is a Pitt Condor Token from 1790 era, but I could not find anything like yours, but fairly certain it is not directly related to the 1766 tokens that were used as change, although anything copper at some point was used for exchange. Hope someone comes up with some info on your medal.
Is the Pitt a medal turn or coin turn (orientation of obverse and reverse strikes)?

Don

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Don in SJ said:
Super amount of coins to be found, that would make anybody's day! Hope they clean up decent enough for you. As far as the Pitt token, it must be a medal and not token and not sure but would bet it was made at a later time. I know there is a Pitt Condor Token from 1790 era, but I could not find anything like yours, but fairly certain it is not directly related to the 1766 tokens that were used as change, although anything copper at some point was used for exchange. Hope someone comes up with some info on your medal.
Is the Pitt a medal turn or coin turn (orientation of obverse and reverse strikes)?

Don
Don I found something on google books but couldn't figure out how to copy paste it.. but there was something from feb 14 1901 about that could being counterfeited.. it said the orginal token/medal was either silver or bronze... but who ever wrote it had that there was a lead cast found by a press of where these tokens were made an that a wealth business man used the lead cast to counterfeit more tokens/medel..

scroll to page 86

http://books.google.com/books?id=dZ...ess+for+her+children&cd=3#v=onepage&q&f=false

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

whoa!!!!!!!!!! :headbang: hard to beat a day like that :thumbsup:

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Mackaydon said:

Good find Don, knew it was not related to the token, but could not find it when I looked. Surprised the medal is from the same time frame, thought for sure it was going to be found out that is was more in line for being a Condor Token type. That might be better than the token, depending upon numbers known, but condition is always a bummer for grounders.

Don

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007

Thanks everyone for the replies...And for the id...It is on coinfacts ..Under Colonial coins Pitt tokens...but is the last one listed when you click on No date Medal...So it is a medal as Don said...Again thanks for the Id.. :icon_thumleft:

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

In light of all of this new information, am I the only one thinking banner? :icon_thumright: :hello2:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

creeper71

Silver Member
Dec 5, 2007
South Central PA

Iron Patch said:
Mackaydon said:
Yes, it actually PREDATES 1766 (1763 as per the second reference below)
Yes, it is a medal.
Great find !!

http://books.google.com/books?id=un...leaded with success for her children"&f=false

Here's one for sale for $1,100 !!!!
http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...ss+for+her+children"&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Great find.... but "1863"
Thank you IP that is what my link was saying....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread