1766 PITT token medal? 7 coin large Cent spill UPDATED PICS !

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Had a great weekend...Started off with a 1837 canada token *cleaning* a 1820 Large Cent...on saturdays hunt...On sunday went to a site i did a little research on...I found this large token...wasnt sure what it was...I looked it up on coinfacts...Its a 1766 no date Pitt token..no stamp act...The back reads *The man who having saved the parent pleaded with success for her children* That alone would have made my weekend...Search around 2 other cellar holes...nada..went back to the first one and hunted the pasture area...Got a nice signal and BAM!!!! my first half cent *draped bust*....I called my buddy over to show him and then i said, i need to rescan the hole BAM!!! Large Cent...And when i finished i ended up with 6 Large Cents and the Half Cent...I took before pics ...and im cleaning them up now....9 coppers and a Pitt token...I am a happy guy :thumbsup:

I updated the coin pics...Thought they cleaned up nice...They looked pretty bad in first pic :icon_thumleft:

Attachments

• 1766 pitt token.jpg
    1766 pitt token.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 1,446
  • 1766 pitt rev.jpg
    1766 pitt rev.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,448
  • coin spill.jpg
    coin spill.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 1,442
  • spill obv.jpg
    spill obv.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 824
  • spill rev.jpg
    spill rev.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 815
  • 1804 obv.jpg
    1804 obv.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 822
  • 1804 rev.jpg
    1804 rev.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 815
Upvote 0

Mach1Pilot

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2008
Bedford County, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab, Fisher, Teknetics and more!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The coins look terrific! And the medal looks great too! :icon_thumright: This should be on the banner for both the medal and the sheer volume of LC finds in one hole. :)

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Brian W said:
Thanks for all the hard work the Ironpatch...and everyone who looked up this find...i am happy either way...It looks great in my collection ;D....I updated those coin pics too....Thanks again everyone :icon_thumleft:

I think one of the links I seen was a sale by Early American auctions. Maybe write and ask Dana what the deal on your find is. He's an expert on historical documents but also deals in coins, medals, buttons etc.. I believe he goes quite a few years back in the coin business too.

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Ok case solved....I have looked at the 1863 and the 1766 very close....Mine is the 1863....The letters on the back are a dead giveaway :thumbsup:

wingmaster

Bronze Member
Aug 10, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's MXT all pro, MXT300 D2, 950, 4X6 DD, detech ultimate 13" DD coils
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome find congrats.

dfx willy

Bronze Member
Nov 7, 2008
man i think we have a new copper god here!! simply amazing! big congrats bud! unreal. willy

Mr Tuff

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
ILL
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Garrett pro pointer, bounty hunter 202 with a 10in magnum coil, Automax pinpointer,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW that is frigging good digging!!!!!!!! nice nice !!!!!!!!! MR TUFF

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW BRIAN!!!! Those are some GREAT looking coins!! Usually I'll find 2 or 3 in that shape throughout the year. CONGRATS! Hogge :headbang: :headbang:

zaxfire69

Bronze Member
Jun 26, 2008
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 / Fisher F44
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How in the world did you clean those large cents? I sure would love to know. Either my soil down here just eats them up or your soil preserves them very well. Do Tell Please.. Awesome finds.

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It doesn't matter what year on the medal. BANNER!

Those LC's and the HC are in fine condition. Where are you that the soil treats the coppers so well?

DCMatt

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Array of stunning beauties :o :o :o :o serious detecting effort has its reward !! Nice work from all on the ID , & Banner vote from the dawg :headbang:

psgen

Apr 25, 2005
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 - White's Spectra V3i - White's XLT - Minelab Excaliber II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o :o Now thats a good day digging.........I need to find a half cent......Have yet to get one of those with or without my detector. :headbang:

OP
OP
Brian W

Brian W

Nov 9, 2007
Thanks for the kind words everyone.
zax i used cold peroxide..about 24 hours...then wipe with a tad of petro. jelly..These are woods finds so they held up good...I have alot of cruddy one's i love too :laughing7: I dont clean any coins that look like they wont benifit..like chipping ect. my avatar is uncleaned and green...one of my fav coins.... as i am from mass :icon_thumleft:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread