Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
First of all I want to apologize for the crappy photos. My digicam seems to have bit the big one (this is the third one to die on me.), so I tried to scan these finds as best as possible with a scanner. Ironically, I found a Canon Elph SD750 camera and ordered a charger for it last night. You read that right. I found it when I was getting out of my car last week! I put it on Craigslist, but no one responded.

Well It has been some time since I have posted here. I started a new job a few weeks back and I have not been able to get out detecting. I finally did get a chance to get out and try my new 4x6 DD coil this morning. I decided to go back to a site that I have worked over pretty well over the last few years, so I wanted to check out the trashy areas with the new coil. I have cleaned the site out pretty well, so I spent a couple of hours with only a few old buttons, until I swept the coil over a tight spot I must have missed with the bigger coils. I got a nice 78 VDI reading at 4 inches, and dug the 1773 George III halfpenny. It looks a lot better in person than it does in the scans. I promise I will post pics when I get one of my cameras working again.

I also found the other item which is very intriguing. I think I have seen something like this posted not long ago, but my memory escapes me. The whatisit is made of brass and has a handshake on top, an all seeing eye in the middle with rays extending out. Under the eye is what appears to be a fox. On the left is three chain links. On the right is a cutting shears (?) the bottom tabs both have skeleton keys on them. Could it possibly be some type of fraternal organization? The site was once a Quaker meeting site, 225 years ago. Please HELP ID THIS!!!

(UPDATED THE PHOTOS on July 11, 2011)
1773O.jpeg
1773R.jpeg

Attachments

• scan0001.jpg
    scan0001.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 1,063
  • scan0005.jpg
    scan0005.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 874
  • scan0004.jpg
    scan0004.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 901
  • scan0003.jpg
    scan0003.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 976
Upvote 0

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: 1773 George III Halfpenny

Neil, congrats on the nice 1773, look forward to a good photo of both sides. The suspender buckle is similar to mine, and thanks to PBK I believe, here is the Patent info on it.

Included a photo of mine.

Don

Attachments

• HeartEagleCombined.jpg
    HeartEagleCombined.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 873
  • 1849Patent2.jpg
    1849Patent2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 874
  • 1850Pat.JPG
    1850Pat.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 867
  • HeartEagleCombined.jpg
    HeartEagleCombined.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 853
  • 1850 SuspenderBucklePatent.jpg
    1850 SuspenderBucklePatent.jpg
    106.3 KB · Views: 851
  • 1850Pat.JPG
    1850Pat.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 862
  • 1849Patent2.jpg
    1849Patent2.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 862
OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Don,

Thanks for the ID. I knew I has seen one on TNet before. I remember the post now!

Now I just need to figure out what the symbols mean!

Neil

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil, compared your 1773 with some Regals and it is not a Regal, it is another typical KGIII counterfeit, thanks for posting.....

Don

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Don in SJ said:
Neil, compared your 1773 with some Regals and it is not a Regal, it is another typical KGIII counterfeit, thanks for posting.....

Don

I was wondering about that myself. The weight is 117gr, which seems to be a bit heavier than the counterfeits I have read about, but lighter than the Regals. Thanks for the info!

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Heck YES! You get the prize for the Copper of the week. Condition is wonderful.

I'm thinking Masonic on that clip.

-Buckles

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice K G III....even if it is counterfeit. I know the frustration of not being able to show the true condition of a coin with a photo or a scan. But that one still looks good to me. :thumbsup: Very good condition. Hit that spot a few more times with the small coil. There might be a few more of those floating around.

hogge

Silver Member
Mar 13, 2008
Pittsfield Ma.
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T-2SE--Whites Prism IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

WTG Neil, Looks like this is the weekend for King George's. I'll be posting mine soon. Found it yesterday. You got a nice coin with plenty of detail, Congrats.....Hogge :thumbsup:

Colonial Copper Zeus

Bronze Member
Jan 6, 2007
Milky Way Galaxy
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision Spectra

BuckleBoy said:
Heck YES! You get the prize for the Copper of the week. Condition is wonderful.

I'm thinking Masonic on that clip.

-Buckles
I agree with Buckles. I believe the all seeing eye is Masonic. That George III is in much better shape than the one I found on Saturday. Great job.
Chris

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Neil, at 117 grains and with the lack of wear that is on that coin, is a definite clue to being a counterfeit. You must always allow for wear on coins in judging actual original weight and since yours had a lot of detail, the 117 grains is underweight. :)

Again for those who don't know, the vast majority of King George III Halfpennies in North America, especially in the States are counterfeit, but were used. Also, most were minted after the dates (if readable) that are on the coin.

Don

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Don in SJ said:
Neil, at 117 grains and with the lack of wear that is on that coin, is a definite clue to being a counterfeit. You must always allow for wear on coins in judging actual original weight and since yours had a lot of detail, the 117 grains is underweight. :)

Again for those who don't know, the vast majority of King George III Halfpennies in North America, especially in the States are counterfeit, but were used. Also, most were minted after the dates (if readable) that are on the coin.

Don

For those who are interested in learning more about counterfeit colonial coppers, click here:http://www.coins.nd.edu/ColCoin/ColCoinIntros/Imitation.intro.html

Here is an 1876 chart of Masonic symbols. I do see some of the symbols, but not all.

Attachments

• masonic_emblems1874b.jpg
    masonic_emblems1874b.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 732

silverfreak

Silver Member
Aug 9, 2007
Wherever Silver's Hidin'
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorers and E-Trac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Nice find Neil. I can't take my eyes off of that suspender buckle . :thumbsup:

dgaughan

Bronze Member
Dec 8, 2004
east northport ny
Detector(s) used
Whites Prizm 5 Garrett ace 350

wow neil that gIII looks to be in awesome condition the suspender clip is cool also congrats and continued good luck

dylan

Derek752

Bronze Member
Nov 30, 2006
Central,Ny
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other

I think it looks GREAT Neil , Congrats on getting into the tight spot and being rewarded :thumbsup: KG III :occasion14:

I have a Masonic fob type thing that has the same symbols as yours I dug along the original Erie canal back in the 90's in an area many 1830's & 1840's Lg cents were found. I've been looking for it for 2 years now and its somewhere in the cellar but I cant find it :dontknow: :icon_scratch:

Congrats :thumbsup:

D. :icon_study:

BlackX

Oct 7, 2006
Shenandoah Valley
Detector(s) used
Explorer / Sovereign / Sidewinder

Nice finds, Neil!

Will you post some larger photos once you get the new camera going? (I vote "please do".)

Still going through the photos of finds on your site now and again. Some nice finds there!

_R_

Nana40

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2005
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I just couldn't imagine finding a coin that old around here! That is so awesome, Neil!! 8)

Nana :)

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Nice going on the George III Neil and the new coil,I just borrowed Tymcmurray's 5.3 over the weekend and ended up with some find's he might have passed over....Tight place's for sure.Suspender buckle WILL take you in for a few moment's like Silverfreak said....Congrat's!!

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Nana40 said:
I just couldn't imagine finding a coin that old around here! That is so awesome, Neil!! 8)

Nana :)

Thanks for all of your kind words...

It is killing me that I don't have a digital camera to show the coin the way it deserves to be shown. I will just have to be patient!

OP
OP
West Jersey Detecting

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

Colonial KirkPA said:
You definitely have the coppa of the week! :thumbsup:
Farmfields are never kind to our coins. :'(

Kirk

Kirk,

Most of my coppers are found in wooded areas, rather than farm fields. In my area the soil is typically well drained sandy soil, which is usually very kind to coppers. Back in the Spring I found four coppers (1699,1787, 1809 & 1839) in a wooded area that was once a farmed field. The fertilizers really did a number on those coppers.

This is only copper number 6 for me this year. You guys have me beat by a long shot in quantity, but I win hands down in quality! :wink: Keep you eyes open for my updated pics when I get my camera working!

Neil

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread