1773 Virgina Half Penny

BobinSouthVA

Bronze Member
Mar 1, 2007
SE Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE Pro / Whites Prism II
Found my second VA half penny today, but this one is far better than the first. Was hitting a new location that I did not expect much from, but I was estatic when this beauty popped out of the soil. It was tough digging however, the pollen has been brutal and I can't last an hour before I'm sneezing like crazy.

Found the heart thing closeby in the field. Could it possibly be a martingale? I think its too small and the attachments seem wrong. any Ideas?

Thanks for looking and HH

IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0550.JPG

Upvote 0

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd imagine that the heart was a bridle boss similar to the shield shaped ones I see dug from time to time. The heart shape is unusual for sure, but judging from the attachments, I have a hunch that's what it is. That's a beautiful VA you dug.

Cheers,

Buck

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice One Bob, congratulations buddy!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd imagine that the heart was a bridle boss similar to the shield shaped ones I see dug from time to time. The heart shape is unusual for sure, but judging from the attachments, I have a hunch that's what it is. That's a beautiful VA you dug.

Cheers,

Buck
It is a horse harness mount & actually over here the heart shape ones are pretty common. They span quite a large period (300ish years), I think this is probably 19th C.

Bill D. (VA)

Silver Member
Oct 7, 2008
SE Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 SE (land); CZ-21 (saltwater)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice going Bob! That halfpenny is a beaut and is in much better shape than nearly all I have dug around here. And I believe your little heart shaped piece is just a common horse harness or leather decoration, and I think it dates to around the same period as the coin. I've found those devices in all shapes and sizes and may have one like yours somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it. And I'm in the same boat as you with allergy season. It was hitting me hard the last time out and I bet I sneezed 100+ times while out in the field. My eyes were driving me crazy too. Just that time of year again. May have to wear the mask next time out ..... LOL! Keep hitting that site ..... Bill

VOL1266-X

Gold Member
Jan 10, 2007
Northern Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266-X, F75 X 2
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice recoveries Bob. I have never dug one of thre heart shaped brass mounts. The coins are very nice. Tennessee Digger went hunting with Dman and me yesterday and brought a couple of boxes of coins and relics he has dug for us to drool over. He had a VA halfpenny that he found around Nashville in his collection. Not many show up here in middle Tennessee. HH, Quindy.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice going Bob! That halfpenny is a beaut and is in much better shape than nearly all I have dug around here. And I believe your little heart shaped piece is just a common horse harness or leather decoration, and I think it dates to around the same period as the coin. I've found those devices in all shapes and sizes and may have one like yours somewhere. I'll post it if I can find it. And I'm in the same boat as you with allergy season. It was hitting me hard the last time out and I bet I sneezed 100+ times while out in the field. My eyes were driving me crazy too. Just that time of year again. May have to wear the mask next time out ..... LOL! Keep hitting that site ..... Bill
UK Finds Database - - - UKDFD
These are more commonly late 19th C, the way it looks as well screams more 19th than 18th.

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are more commonly late 19th C, the way it looks as well screams more 19th than 18th.

Cru, England and America are a little bit different. And although the UKDFD may say "19th," I have to agree with Bill on this one. I have found many of these types of harness mounts on the Colonial (1700's) sites here in Virginia that I've hunted over the years. At least here in America, we do frequently find them on 18th century sites.

Last edited:

artyfacts

Bronze Member
May 1, 2010
South Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, MX7, Minelab Manticore
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Outstanding Virginia. Allot of detail left on that one... Arty

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Cru, England and America are a little bit different. And although the UKDFD may say "19th," I have to agree with Bill on this one. I have found many of these types of harness mounts on the Colonial (1700's) sites here in Virginia that I've hunted over the years. At least here in America, we do frequently find them on 18th century sites.

I find beer can's on roman sites

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread