SC RELIC MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
SHORT DIGGING SESSION. BEEN DIGGING HERE FOR TWENTY YEARS. IT'S BEEN SCARCE PICKINGS THESE DAYS. GOTTA FIND A NEW SITE, OR SO I THOUGHT. DUG MY FIRST HALF PENNY. QUESTION, REGAL OR CONTEMPORARY FAKE SENT TO THE COLONIES?
EITHER WAY IT'S AWESOME!!!!! Bluffton-20150519-01439.jpg Bluffton-20150519-01440.jpg

Upvote 12

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow what condition! I have a numerous KG3's and none look as good as yours. Congrats on the colonial digs

Steve

46Wheat

Silver Member
May 23, 2014
Upstate NY
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac / Equinox 800 / 8.5x11 DD and 5x8 DD coil /
Garrett ProPointer / Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice detail and condition on that coin

deershed

Silver Member
Apr 25, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Whites Coin Master Pro, Bounty Hunter Lonestar, Minelab CTX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet!!

That thing is mint condition compared to any of the KG's I've found!!

bzbadger

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2013
Lower Eastern Shore of Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter QD II, Garrett Ace 150 & 350, Fisher ID Excel, Fisher coinstrike, Fisher Cz6, Fisher Gemini II, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett GTI 1500,Teknetiks omega 8000, Nokta Fors Gold
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen one pulled from the dirt in that condition. I didn't think it was possible.
Great find and I would hope a coin of that condition would be worth something as all mine are barely worth sticking in my finds case

cjon455

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2012
Northeast PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Garrett Propointer
Garrett Propointer-AT
Sampson T handle shovel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Damn fine coin right there!, very good detail

awesome......

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice and crisp the copper is, congrats on the find.

I guess the question comes to mind-Whats better finding lots of burnt coppers, or the occasional crisp one?

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
Very well done. Congrats on a really nice coin!

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For value purposes a Regal from the ground is not what you want to find. It looks like a counterfeit, which is good. Just first with my first look, the neck sure is long. There is a group of counterfeits known as the Long neck variety, not sure if it is one of them or not, but does not look regal to me based on that. Weighing KGIII Halfpence is the first thing to do, since most all of the KGIII counterfeits are way under regal weight..... Don

Bramblefind

Silver Member
Nov 26, 2009
New York
Detector(s) used
T2/F75 SE
There is a huge family of contemporary counterfeit 1/2ds called the "Young Head". None of the researchers have yet tackled it in depth. I think this coin falls into that family.

Here is a comparison of an example from CopperClem's site of a "Young Head with Closed Gs" and your coin.

Copperclem

Attachments

• younghead.jpg
    younghead.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 171

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, 1775 seems to be the most used date for these counterfiet coins, its better than a regal & in good nick as well.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great work on that KG! That's a coin that's still on my list, and great to know that they're being dug in SC. I have my fingers crossed for one here in LA.

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
For value purposes a Regal from the ground is not what you want to find. It looks like a counterfeit, which is good. Just first with my first look, the neck sure is long. There is a group of counterfeits known as the Long neck variety, not sure if it is one of them or not, but does not look regal to me based on that. Weighing KGIII Halfpence is the first thing to do, since most all of the KGIII counterfeits are way under regal weight..... Don
Absolutely, the weight is a good place to begin. I have both regals and counters, and the weight difference is amazing. Don, I do believe it is the long neck variety and also the wheel spokes are a give away. Good eyes!

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely, the weight is a good place to begin. I have both regals and counters, and the weight difference is amazing. Don, I do believe it is the long neck variety and also the wheel spokes are a give away. Good eyes!

This is a young neck. Very different from the one posted.

Attachments

• 3596720_1_l.jpg
    3596720_1_l.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 102
  • 3596720_2_l.jpg
    3596720_2_l.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 101
OP
OP
S

SC RELIC MAN

Tenderfoot
Mar 3, 2014
South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Tesoro, Garrett
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I appreciate y'all chiming in on this. Thanks for the information. I have not weighed it yet but it does measure as a counterfeit at 26mm while the regal ones where 28.5-30mm. The obverse has such a great strike so I thought it might be an original. I am happy with it either way because of the condition and I,ve never dug one. On another note, what a great resource this site is by bringing all us like minded people together. Great diggings to all of you. By the way I am in Mannassas VA at the moment for a wedding and I did not bring my detector. I would like to dig up here sometime but without permission to go I would not chance it around here.

DirtStalker

Bronze Member
Sep 26, 2014
Upstate SC
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SC that is a against the universal law. Traveling without your machine. Tell me you are kidding us. Especially to Va.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread