Feb 8, 2014
Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Fisher F75 Ltd SE 2 & Fisher F2 with 11"DD
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I had a amazing hunt today with some friends at a new cellar hole property. We all did very well and all went home with old coppers and old silvers. My find of the day and i still cant believe i found one is a 1778 mexico city mint 8 reales. I never thought i would get one of these. It was a good signal but i had to work for it under tree roots. I knew what it was though as soon as it. It is in great shape and the pictures don’t do it justice at all. Thanks for looking! [emoji2][emoji106]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1509304211.914958.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1509304229.822116.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1509304242.406267.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1509304255.905234.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1509304265.355199.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1509304278.325312.jpg

Upvote 143
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Its like the 1st annual β€œbig 8’s” family reunion! HaHa

Underwonder

Bronze Member
Jul 31, 2017
RI
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's XLT Spectrum, TRX Pin-pointer, Garrett AT Pro Pin-pointer, Eagle II SL with Bigfoot, Equinox 600, Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one final question for people on here for this coin. What should i do with it now? Just put it away loose? In a certain type of holder? With the values of some of them is it worth getting it certified/graded? I heard its pretty pricey to get graded and i have more valuable silvers so i probably wouldn’t bother. Im just curious on peoples opinion. Of coarse there are special dates and mints but this is a average value...
8 REALES CAROLUS III GENERAL VALUES (38 mm diameter)
worn: $100 US dollars approximate catalog value
average circulated: $200
well preserved: $250

Last edited:

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have one final question for people on here for this coin. What should i do with it now? Just put it away loose? In a certain type of holder? With the values of some of them is it worth getting it certified/graded? I heard its pretty pricey to get graded and i have more valuable silvers so i probably wouldn’t bother. Im just curious on peoples opinion. Of coarse there are special dates and mints but this is a average value...

Mine is gonna wind up around my neck. Priceless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Mine is gonna wind up around my neck. Priceless

Your right. A coin bezel or something would be very cool too! [emoji2]
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510446816.313290.jpg

Ahab8

Gold Member
Oct 15, 2013
Topsham, Maine
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE w/15' SEF Coil/ Minelab GPX 4500/2 Garrett Pro Pointers/3 Sets Killer B Headphones/ Koss Headphones/ Detekniy Wireless headphone Adapter
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have not had any coins graded/slabbed to this point. That's something you can do at any point if you so choose. If I found something ultra rare and valuable I would immediately. I will probably have my pine tree shilling sent out someday. Maybe my 1749 regal error farthing. I just didn't see and hurry in doing so. They are safe and sound in a secure location in my home and I am able to share them with people. You can't make a wrong decision because you found it and it's your damn coin to do whatever you want with. I slept with my tree coin for the first week or two....don't judge me please lol
So where's the BANNER for this massive old ass beautiful piece of silver????

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have not had any coins graded/slabbed to this point. That's something you can do at any point if you so choose. If I found something ultra rare and valuable I would immediately. I will probably have my pine tree shilling sent out someday. Maybe my 1749 regal error farthing. I just didn't see and hurry in doing so. They are safe and sound in a secure location in my home and I am able to share them with people. You can't make a wrong decision because you found it and it's your damn coin to do whatever you want with. I slept with my tree coin for the first week or two....don't judge me please lol
So where's the BANNER for this massive old ass beautiful piece of silver????
Thank you and your right. Also with your coins id probably swim in them during the day too! HaHa
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1510487746.057131.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
As a matter of fact do you have the information on that exact bezel?

That one was 14k gold on eBay. I did a quick look and seems there are lots of different ways to get them. Some sterling silver ones looked great too. Heres a site i found quick that may be good...
https://www.esslinger.com/coin-bezels/

Blak bart

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2016
FL keys
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Mine lab primary fisher secondary
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
photo-9.JPG
I had a full size 8 cob done for me last year. I chose a big un clipped 8, but it was a poorer stike, and undated, so when she slips from my neck back into the sea it wont be the end of the world. Its pretty cool to have a piece you found around your neck and almost always leads to treasure stories. I chose red garnets as accent stones to honor the blood that was lost by the spaniards that day in 1733. Sounds corny but it was my own little way to remember that many people died for this treasure. I also had the name of the ship that I think it came from engraved on it with the date of the sinking. I tried to make the design special to me. Im constantly asked is that an atocha coin, and I always say no I found this coin. Im proud of that and it almost always leads to treasure talk. Its my good luck charm. Ive been told that if you wear a spanish cob you will never have money problems again. I have kissed and rubbed it for luck and ive found cobs while ive been wearing it so.....I like to think that the spirit of the spaniard is guideing me towards more of his lost treasure. Its nice to make the design personal to you. Like ahab says the choice is yours so there is no wrong answer.

Last edited:
OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
View attachment 1515300
I had a full size 8 cob done for me last year. I chose a big un clipped 8, but it was a poorer stike, and undated, so when she slips from my neck back into the sea it wont be the end of the world. Its pretty cool to have a piece you found around your neck and almost always leads to treasure stories. I chose red garnets as accent stones to honor the blood that was lost by the spaniards that day in 1733. Sounds corny but it was my own little way to remember that many people died for this treasure. I also had the name of the ship that I think it came from engraved on it with the date of the sinking. I tried to make the design special to me. Im constantly asked is that an atocha coin, and I always say no I found this coin. Im proud of that and it almost always leads to treasure talk. Its my good luck charm. Ive been told that if you wear a spanish cob you will never have money problems again. I have kissed and rubbed it for luck and ive found cobs while ive been wearing it so.....I like to think that the spirit of the spaniard is guideing me towards more of his lost treasure. Its nice to make the design personal to you. Like ahab says the choice is yours so there is no wrong answer.

That looks awesome. Great story too. Did you have it made special by a local jeweller or something like that? If i had mine done into something like that id probably be too scared to wear it. Typical me! HaHa
Ps. Thats a super nice big chunk of chain and bezel! πŸ€‘

Last edited:

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I don't see any point to sending that one in, or any other coin we find for that matter. Authenticity is rarely in question and value even though subjective, it's usually easy to determine a range. So unless you want to pay that much to have your coin in a professional looking holder that says something negative about it, better to just use something simple to protect it, and that be that. I honestly can't even think of a coin I'd find here that I would feel the need to send in.

I think bezels are cool, but if I wanted one I'd buy the coin, never use a find. My finds area meant to be worshiped not worn. :happysmiley:

OP
OP
K1DDO1979

K1DDO1979

Silver Member
Feb 8, 2014
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't see any point to sending that one in, or any other coin we find for that matter. Authenticity is rarely in question and value even though subjective, it's usually easy to determine a range. So unless you want to pay that much to have your coin in a professional looking holder that says something negative about it, better to just use something simple to protect it, and that be that. I honestly can't even think of a coin I'd find here that I would feel the need to send in.

I think bezels are cool, but if I wanted one I'd buy the coin, never use a find. My finds area meant to be worshiped not worn. :happysmiley:

Your opinion means a lot. Unless something super rare and valuable than no send in for me. Im just going to keep it put away with my other good finds for now anyway! [emoji106]
I do like the look of them bezels a lot so you never know i might get one sometime! [emoji2]

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
πŸ₯‡ Banner finds
πŸ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That one was 14k gold on eBay. I did a quick look and seems there are lots of different ways to get them. Some sterling silver ones looked great too. Heres a site i found quick that may be good...
https://www.esslinger.com/coin-bezels/

Thanks you got me motivated to get’er done.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread