🥇 BANNER 1783 Nova Constelatio - Liberty. Justice. Beautiful. Rare!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to a colonial site for which I had little hope. I was hoping for just a button or a trinket on this dreary Sunday. It took 1.5 hours to do, but I cleared another 20' x 20' section of heavy bramble, and was rewarded with arguably my rarest coin. A 1783 Nova Constelatio!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485105815.269002.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485105828.381639.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485105844.089490.jpg

Cleaning...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106104.322683.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106114.636405.jpg

I believe the variety is a "blunt rays" Crosby 3-C.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106040.515461.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106073.915434.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106083.378541.jpg

Besides some pottery and nails, this beauty was my only find. Funny enough with all the iron this signal was almost completely masked even with the Deus. I actually dug out a big hole and found the coin in the pile. Thanks goodness I didn't smoke it with the shovel. I saw the coin in the clump with rays facing out, and immediately shot a video.

Thanks to Ahab8 for the field ID, and to Bill D for the cleaning tips. And to Novanumismatics.com for the attribution. And to Joey for, well, being Joey.

I'm constantly amazed by what is masked by iron, and what's out of reach because of foliage. It's actually quite a wonderful prospect for the future.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106008.582628.jpg

Cheers and good hunts everyone

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 111

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went back to a colonial site for which I had little hope. I was hoping for just a button or a trinket on this dreary Sunday. It took 1.5 hours to do, but I cleared another 20' x 20' section of heavy bramble, and was rewarded with arguably my rarest coin. A 1783 Nova Constelatio!

View attachment 1405473
View attachment 1405474
View attachment 1405475

Cleaning...

View attachment 1405482
View attachment 1405483

I believe the variety is a "blunt rays" Crosby 3-C.

View attachment 1405479
View attachment 1405480
View attachment 1405481

Besides some pottery and nails, this beauty was my only find. Funny enough with all the iron this signal was almost completely masked even with the Deus. I actually dug out a big hole and found the coin in the pile. Thanks goodness I didn't smoke it with the shovel. I saw the coin in the clump with rays facing out, and immediately shot a video.

Thanks to Ahab8 for the field ID, and to Bill D for the cleaning tips. And to Novanumismatics.com for the attribution. And to Joey for, well, being Joey.

I'm constantly amazed by what is masked by iron, and what's out of reach because of foliage. It's actually quite a wonderful prospect for the future.

View attachment 1405478

Steve

Way To Go Scrappy!
That's a Sweet Old Coin that I forgot Existed .

It's hard work these day's diggen then Rare or PM 'Gold' pieces , Every Time I move Bramble ,Saplings or pick up every dang Beer Bottle Cap or (every foot or so) , I almost to tired to Detect after all that bending & Swinging...

Thank Goodness for Fall & Winter W/O to much Snow & Super Cold.

Now on to the Next 20X20. Area .
Davers

port ewen ace

Silver Member
Dec 16, 2012
port ewen ny
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT-PRO & Equinox800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
easy to spot SCRAPPYS house from the road_________________a :censored: load of banners flyin' there :icon_thumleft::icon_thumright:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late but not too late! Congrats, you got a beautiful example! Perfect condition deserves Banner on it's own. Well done Scrappy! :icon_thumright:

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Steve

Congrats on the rare find :icon_thumright:

Masking is the reason I always hunt in all metal mode and dig all targets.
Pays off in the long run especially in heavily detected areas, even though a lot of time is spent digging trash.

Some of my best finds were next to and under tin and iron in so called hunted out areas.

GG~

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a Nova in great condition. The 3-C is only a rarity 3 but in the condition you found it in deserves special recognition. I just checked on TNet all the previous Nova's posted and out of approximately 30 posted, your coin is I think the best conditioned one.
Don

Took your photos and combined them for you.

I appreciate you taking the time to look Don. I searched for Nova posts and was surprised so many were found. But like you said the condition makes it special. And thanks for combining the pics. So COOL! Cheers buddy.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Atta boy Steve.... well deserved!
This whole metal detecting hobby thing seems to be working out huh?:tongue3:

Thanks Dave. The hobby is certainly a good fit. History and hunting. Can't beat that!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
According to Charlie (Eastcoasthunter) the coin talks to him. I told him I don't see anything. Thoughts?

Video credit: Bart (Bartek)

Loco-Digger

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2014
Northern O-H-I-O
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
F75 LTD, 1280X Aquanaut, & a Patriot (back-up/loaner)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Steve you should be honored for your persistence and perseverance in hunting in the Brambles. That is one heck of a great find. Congrats on yet another Banner. I better bring some depends with me when I go back east. I'm sure I'd have crapped my pants if handed that find to me for a quick look.

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats on the banner. That beautiful coin looks great up there

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congratulations on a very well deserved BANNER! I'm always terribly impressed with your finds, but this one is out of control...really out of control!!! You did such a great job with the cleaning process. I would have been terrified to even touch it.

Isaac

Oct 11, 2013
Fairfax, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT All Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That eye looks awesome in the banner! Congrats again!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
No time to post lately but just had to for this one. Awesome reward for all the effort you put in! Maybe I missed it in another post, but what kind of soil was it in? Congrats on the banner. That's a no-doubter.

The soil was nothing special besides it was very close to the foundation and away from where the farm fields were. That may have saved it.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on the banner! As soon as I started mulling it over last night, I thought that it might be a banner find.

Well played sir!

Thanks Tom. I'll put you on some good sites this spring visit

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow... missed this thread... out of the loop.

Well done Scrappy.

Oh yeah...

BANNER.

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always want to move out east after you post something. Amazing find. That should get you excited about the upcoming year!!! Big Congrats on one amazing coin.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Way To Go Scrappy!
That's a Sweet Old Coin that I forgot Existed .

It's hard work these day's diggen then Rare or PM 'Gold' pieces , Every Time I move Bramble ,Saplings or pick up every dang Beer Bottle Cap or (every foot or so) , I almost to tired to Detect after all that bending & Swinging...

Thank Goodness for Fall & Winter W/O to much Snow & Super Cold.

Now on to the Next 20X20. Area .
Davers

I actually took a break from this site due to frustration. I wasn't enjoying myself there anymore after A LOT of unfruitful clearing. Im talking hundreds of square feet with no keepers

Keep your head up and clear that brush! Also, dig everything. Good luck and thanks for the comments

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread