🥇 BANNER 1783 Nova Constelatio - Liberty. Justice. Beautiful. Rare!!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
I went back to a colonial site for which I had little hope. I was hoping for just a button or a trinket on this dreary Sunday. It took 1.5 hours to do, but I cleared another 20' x 20' section of heavy bramble, and was rewarded with arguably my rarest coin. A 1783 Nova Constelatio!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485105815.269002.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485105828.381639.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485105844.089490.jpg

Cleaning...

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106104.322683.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106114.636405.jpg

I believe the variety is a "blunt rays" Crosby 3-C.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106040.515461.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106073.915434.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106083.378541.jpg

Besides some pottery and nails, this beauty was my only find. Funny enough with all the iron this signal was almost completely masked even with the Deus. I actually dug out a big hole and found the coin in the pile. Thanks goodness I didn't smoke it with the shovel. I saw the coin in the clump with rays facing out, and immediately shot a video.

Thanks to Ahab8 for the field ID, and to Bill D for the cleaning tips. And to Novanumismatics.com for the attribution. And to Joey for, well, being Joey.

I'm constantly amazed by what is masked by iron, and what's out of reach because of foliage. It's actually quite a wonderful prospect for the future.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1485106008.582628.jpg

Cheers and good hunts everyone

Steve

Last edited:
Upvote 111

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
There's my buddy from the Great White North!

Thanks man, I certainly get enthralled when I think about the circumstances and events leading up to many losses. I think the "dude" remark can also be replaced with "idiot" depending on the circumstances. Honestly I felt like an idiot grooming huge sections of the forest right up until I found that coin;)

Cheers

Some of my greatest rewards come from hours of bush crashing, the coinage has only been kissed from the gentle soils and the occasional squirrel pi$$.
The greatest rewards come to those who think out of the box.

Huntster54

Jan 26, 2017
Detector(s) used
Antique whites TR-goldmaster

Under water model to be posted
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There's my buddy from the Great White North!

Thanks man, I certainly get enthralled when I think about the circumstances and events leading up to many losses. I think the "dude" remark can also be replaced with "idiot" depending on the circumstances. Honestly I felt like an idiot grooming huge sections of the forest right up until I found that coin;)

Cheers
"Honestly I felt like an idiot grooming huge sections of the forest right up until I found that coin" Ah, that is not idiot thinking to think history. It's correct thinking. Like, 250 years ago was that river bed just over yonder? Is that depression an old road? Was the woods you're standing in an open field or farmers cow pasture..?(take a deep breath:icon_pale:). Relic hunting means to put yourself in the past, imagine the lay of the land. Trees and plants always win.

Idiots don't usually find 1000 dollar coppers.

GL

Last edited:
OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow! Incredible recovery Steve! That will be tough to beat. Cleaned up beautifully as well.

Yep, I don't expect to ever see the likes of another one of those. Fingers crossed that I'll find some more incredible finds in the future. Thanks for looking bud

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Fantastic coin!! Great shape too, congratulations!

Steve

Hill Billy

Bronze Member
Jun 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a great find! I dug the same one a few years ago but it didn't come out of the ground looking as nice as yours.:thumbsup:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice coin find, congrats

fernald1

Oct 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats!! I got myself one last year as well as a Fugio.. same site. I was not aware of their existence before that

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Congrats on a great find! I dug the same one a few years ago but it didn't come out of the ground looking as nice as yours.:thumbsup:

Congrats!! I got myself one last year as well as a Fugio.. same site. I was not aware of their existence before that

I looked through previous postings of Novas on Tnet, and saw a lot of different varieties found. Some were rare, and some not, but they're all very unique coins! I also noticed while browsing that I lucked out with condition. Thanks for looking and good luck

Glassdigger

Apr 27, 2012
Tarlton Ohio
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac, Garrett AT Pro, White's Sierra Madre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice clean up job too! I hate it when people ruin coppers cleaning them.

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Scrappy

Where did you locate the Spanish Stone Marker with the Quarto on it?

I bet that's a nice breadcrumb trail you found on that one.....

Got a story to tell about it?.....I'm all ears......

Here's a Hooked X Marker I found on Lake Champlain......Trade Stories?

Maybe we connect on the backgrounds?

0602161553.jpg

Eldo

Banned
Jul 7, 2014
Vermont
Detector(s) used
Brain, Pointing Finger, occasionally the Pinky Finger
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I also noticed your flag is somewhat similar to the flag of the Green Mountain Boys......

255px-Flag_of_the_Vermont_Republic.svg.png

And the coin that you hold being molded from the Republic of Vermont

Stella Decima Quarta

250px-Stella14.jpg

I believe the "new constellation" they speak of is the one hidden in this coin....a mystery of the marks known on the Liberty Bell.....set in the Pass at Stowe....in a mountain vault.

gigmaster

Mar 16, 2007
Chesapeake, VA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Equinox (coming!), Minelab Excalibur II, Garrett AT Pro, Teknetics G2, Garrett Sea Hunter Mark 2
Primary Interest:
Other
This is just how I found it. I did not clean it at all!!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Haha, thanks everyone on the latest comments on this one. It was a great find and one I'm glad to see is still being eyeballed. Haven't really been out in two weeks but it's nice to see old finds are still appreciated. It was part of the stuff dreams are made of....

gwdigger

Bronze Member
Dec 3, 2006
Ocean City, Md
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
That coin is really something. A beauty. I found one about 24 years ago but almost completely toast. Congrats.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread