1783 Nova Constellatio …Cool and Rare!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I had a fantastic day at a new permission farm field in central RI. The crop was just harvested and the field was “ripe” for a bit of detecting. I was gridding north/south on the property using the Garrett AT Pro in Pro-Zero, full sensitivity and zero discrimination. On the first few passes two nice old (Barber and Seated) dimes found my coil, definitely a good start! Upon the 3 and 4 pass an Indian cent, wheat cent and Mercury dime found the coil. BUT on the 6th pass a strong/solid tone alerted me as I casually looked down for the VID number, it was 81. So, I thought cool another silver dime. I dug a 6 inch scoop of farm dirt and much to my surprise, out popped what I thought was a common large cent. I removed a soft tooth brush from my finds pouch and began to very gently brush away the years of dirt only to realize it was a fantastic find. I placed it on the mound of dirt and took a “after dig/clean” photo. I could not believe my eyes a Nova Constellatio copper! I carefully wrapped the precious treasure and placed it a secure plastic case. The rest of the day was a total dream…I did find a few relics and old coins, but I could not stop thinking (what year? What type? Is it rare?...etc.).

Upon arriving home, I continued cleaning with a soft tooth brush and nothing else; as of this penning have done nothing further to the coin. The cleaning slowly uncovered a year of 1783 and according to Colonial and Early American Coins, David Bowers: a type of Crosby 2-B Pointed Rays – Small US, Rarity: USR-11.

I am still “jumping for joy” over this very cool rare coin find and hope to get back to this field in the near future.

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

NOVA 1.jpg NOVA 2.jpg NOVA 3.jpg

NOVA 4.jpg Colonial Book 1.jpg

Upvote 70
OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you Underwonder...I'm still on cloud nine!

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1509449071.294671.jpg

Absolutely gorgeous killer coin design. I may be partial but I think it's one of the nicest transitional pattern coppers out there, not to mention the history surrounding the coin is equally cool. Congrats.

Steve in PA

Gold Member
Jul 5, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, XP Deus, Equinox 600, Fisher 1270
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice coin! One that's been on my wish list for a long time!

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Steve in PA, Thanks for the kind words.

I am so envious of your great finds! :notworthy:

Doc

Last edited:
OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks for the information Scrappy, you found a really beautiful Nova in the past...double congratulations to you! :occasion14: :occasion14:

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks Loco-Digger...still doing the happy dance! :wav:

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Hogge,

Perhaps in the future we can meet and detect, western Massachusetts isn't that far away and a very beautiful area this time of the year.

Regards,

Doc

Jul 12, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Find of a Lifetime!

Great find Professor Livingston. Watson has been treasure hunting for over 40 years and I can say that this discovery exceeds most hobbyist dreams. What's next?

MrBlueSkyNM

Apr 18, 2016
New Mexico
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Teknetics T2 Classic
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, what a day! Congrats! :headbang:
Hello Everyone,

I had a fantastic day at a new permission farm field in central RI. The crop was just harvested and the field was “ripe” for a bit of detecting. I was gridding north/south on the property using the Garrett AT Pro in Pro-Zero, full sensitivity and zero discrimination. On the first few passes two nice old (Barber and Seated) dimes found my coil, definitely a good start! Upon the 3 and 4 pass an Indian cent, wheat cent and Mercury dime found the coil. BUT on the 6th pass a strong/solid tone alerted me as I casually looked down for the VID number, it was 81. So, I thought cool another silver dime. I dug a 6 inch scoop of farm dirt and much to my surprise, out popped what I thought was a common large cent. I removed a soft tooth brush from my finds pouch and began to very gently brush away the years of dirt only to realize it was a fantastic find. I placed it on the mound of dirt and took a “after dig/clean” photo. I could not believe my eyes a Nova Constellatio copper! I carefully wrapped the precious treasure and placed it a secure plastic case. The rest of the day was a total dream…I did find a few relics and old coins, but I could not stop thinking (what year? What type? Is it rare?...etc.).

Upon arriving home, I continued cleaning with a soft tooth brush and nothing else; as of this penning have done nothing further to the coin. The cleaning slowly uncovered a year of 1783 and according to Colonial and Early American Coins, David Bowers: a type of Crosby 2-B Pointed Rays – Small US, Rarity: USR-11.

I am still “jumping for joy” over this very cool rare coin find and hope to get back to this field in the near future.

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

View attachment 1509766 View attachment 1509767 View attachment 1509768

View attachment 1509769 View attachment 1509770

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thank you "historymystery1 for the kind and inspiring post! :occasion14:

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks a bunch Cibolero! :icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks "Dansalata" for the post! :occasion14:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread