1783 Nova Constellatio …Cool and Rare!

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello Everyone,

I had a fantastic day at a new permission farm field in central RI. The crop was just harvested and the field was “ripe” for a bit of detecting. I was gridding north/south on the property using the Garrett AT Pro in Pro-Zero, full sensitivity and zero discrimination. On the first few passes two nice old (Barber and Seated) dimes found my coil, definitely a good start! Upon the 3 and 4 pass an Indian cent, wheat cent and Mercury dime found the coil. BUT on the 6th pass a strong/solid tone alerted me as I casually looked down for the VID number, it was 81. So, I thought cool another silver dime. I dug a 6 inch scoop of farm dirt and much to my surprise, out popped what I thought was a common large cent. I removed a soft tooth brush from my finds pouch and began to very gently brush away the years of dirt only to realize it was a fantastic find. I placed it on the mound of dirt and took a “after dig/clean” photo. I could not believe my eyes a Nova Constellatio copper! I carefully wrapped the precious treasure and placed it a secure plastic case. The rest of the day was a total dream…I did find a few relics and old coins, but I could not stop thinking (what year? What type? Is it rare?...etc.).

Upon arriving home, I continued cleaning with a soft tooth brush and nothing else; as of this penning have done nothing further to the coin. The cleaning slowly uncovered a year of 1783 and according to Colonial and Early American Coins, David Bowers: a type of Crosby 2-B Pointed Rays – Small US, Rarity: USR-11.

I am still “jumping for joy” over this very cool rare coin find and hope to get back to this field in the near future.

Thank you for looking.

GL & HH

Doc

NOVA 1.jpg NOVA 2.jpg NOVA 3.jpg

NOVA 4.jpg Colonial Book 1.jpg

Upvote 70
OP
OP
Professor of Engineering
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

dsdigger

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2017
Shenandoah Valley, VA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Whites MX Sport, Whites Coinmaster, Minelab Explorer XS, Kellyco Vulcan 360, Lesche Digger, Rattler headphone, Park Ranger Bag by "Freeloader"
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Professor, Congrats on the find! A real Bucket lister and beautiful coin! I would probably still be sitting looking at it and smiling real big. ENJOY!:icon_thumright:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

sugarquartz

Aug 1, 2017
Long Island, NY
Detector(s) used
Fisher F 75 LTD SE, Nel tornado coil, Pro Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats for finding that early copper! Very nice Congrats !!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread