1785 nova constellatio copper

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
my buddy George and i were up around 5:20 this morning so we could take our time getting to an area because the roads had a some black ice due to the freezing rain the night before but we overcame this and hit a site . well this first site had just a little to much snow for my liking (about 4 inches)so after a few hours of iron scraps , shotgun shells and deer slugs we moved to another area.this place had only about 2 to 3 inches and so with a couple hours to hunt we decided to stay and work the area . it paid off we each pulled some buttons ( George had about 3 dandies and 5 in total) and i pulled a nice copper ( my 36th old copper this year) guys take care and thanks for looking .

looks like a crosby 3-b to me
can anyone i.d. the variety for sure
Dan

Attachments

• nova constellatio site.JPG
    nova constellatio site.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 4,881
  • 1785 just dug up.JPG
    1785 just dug up.JPG
    48.2 KB · Views: 4,795
  • 1785 constellatio front 1.JPG
    1785 constellatio front 1.JPG
    59.3 KB · Views: 4,772
  • 1785 constellatio back 1.JPG
    1785 constellatio back 1.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 4,755
  • constellatio  nova  closeup 1.JPG
    constellatio nova closeup 1.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 2,943
  • test nova good.JPG
    test nova good.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 2,923
Upvote 1

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Worth digging in the snow and cold when you can get a nova ! :o Well done, in difficult conditions to recover a scarce and outstanding coin :o!!! :thumbsup:

Kirk PA

Bronze Member
May 23, 2009
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Gold
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Dan,

I needed a BIG Colonial fix and I sure did get it from your thread. You guys in Connecticut have some great sites to hunt and you never disappoint. I always enjoy your copper posts!

We were supposed to get out today for our last hunt of 2009, but had a change of plans. Oh well, 2010 will treat us all great.

I hope you have a Happy New Year and a Fantastic 2010 Colonial Season! :headbang: :hello2:

Kirk :icon_thumleft:

HEAVYMETALNUT

Silver Member
Dec 8, 2008
CT
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's MXT All Pro,White's MX Sport , White's XLT E-Series,White's eagle spectrum,White's Silver Eagle & White's 4000-D
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
yup she's a beaut for sure! nice way to end the year!
congrats!

MaineRelic

Bronze Member
Mar 9, 2008
MAINE
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesorso's, Minelabs, Garrett's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow ! What a beautiful colonial copper ! Congrads 2 you!! MaineRelic.

SCMDing

Jan 4, 2007
Rock Hill, SC
Man, I pretty much spent my entire life in CT and actively started MDing when I moved to SC. I think of the countless places I have found out the woods that I would love to detect now!!! I guess having ground that is still easy to dig is a good thing :-\ ( but man, I need to get back up to CT SOOOOOOON! )

Congrats on the wonderful find.

The Patriot

Bronze Member
Oct 16, 2009
Digging Relics
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox and CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great looking coin...surprised it's still in great shape... :icon_thumright:

fbjr

Apr 13, 2007
Elmira, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030/Minelab e-trac/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
you are very dedicated to be detecting with snow on the ground, glad it payed off for you !!! Hey, do you think you get a better, deeper signal when the ground is frozen ?

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Looks like a Large date Pointed Rays

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
fbjr said:
you are very dedicated to be detecting with snow on the ground, glad it payed off for you !!! Hey, do you think you get a better, deeper signal when the ground is frozen ?
"dedicated" ??? hhmmmm not the word my wife might use :laughing7: :laughing7:
yes on my machine (dfx)i was hitting some buttons at 12 inches deep last week , so the cold frozen/wet ground definately helps with depth

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Martimus Rex said:
Wow, that is great. I wish I had the stones to get out in this weather!

you don't need stones just dress warm :laughing7:

Kirk PA said:
Dan,

I needed a BIG Colonial fix and I sure did get it from your thread. You guys in Connecticut have some great sites to hunt and you never disappoint. I always enjoy your copper posts!

We were supposed to get out today for our last hunt of 2009, but had a change of plans. Oh well, 2010 will treat us all great.

I hope you have a Happy New Year and a Fantastic 2010 Colonial Season! :headbang: :hello2:

Kirk :icon_thumleft:

thanks fellow colonial coppa digging dude :notworthy:, you have a great New Year as well

and thanks from everyone else.

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a great end of the year find, wish they were used down here more often, but they are far and few to find here locally. I agree with the Crosby 3-B Pointed Rays - script US. The break on the Reverse sort of convinced me, since there are no known 3-B's without that break.

Don

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
Don in SJ said:
What a great end of the year find, wish they were used down here more often, but they are far and few to find here locally. I agree with the Crosby 3-B Pointed Rays - script US. The break on the Reverse sort of convinced me, since there are no known 3-B's without that break.

Don

thanks Don for the confirmed i.d. i'm surprise that you guys don't find more of them being so close to New York . ya just pulling up a copper this late in the season is a feat in itself , take care .

Dan

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
leddel said:
Don in SJ said:

Don

thanks Don for the confirmed i.d. i'm surprise that you guys don't find more of them being so close to New York . ya just pulling up a copper this late in the season is a feat in itself , take care .

Dan

I think I am too far south for them to have been circulated in any great numbers, my son has one, I have none and one of my friends has five, but his are from Burlington County area, which lies within the corridor of Philly to NY, where most of the population was traveling to and from and also the big farms were located during the Colonial and Post Colonial days.

Don

Kyle PA

May 12, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's XL Pro 6000
I can always count on a top-notch post from a man named Leddel! Dan, you are an amazing Colonial swinger!!! :notworthy:

I love the Constellatio. Chris found one in May 2007 at one of our good Colonial sites, but his was not even close to yours in condition.

Kyle

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I love the fact that you didn't let a little snow keep you from detecting. It paid off big time!

Congratulations!

Neil

OP
OP
leddel

leddel

Jun 30, 2006
connecticut
KylePA said:
I can always count on a top-notch post from a man named Leddel! Dan, you are an amazing Colonial swinger!!! :notworthy:

I love the Constellatio. Chris found one in May 2007 at one of our good Colonial sites, but his was not even close to yours in condition.

Kyle

hey Kyle thanks man that means alot comming from you guys :notworthy:
one of these days i hope to make a pilgrimage to hunt with you guys in person or visa versa . Goerge and i are going out one more time before the end of the year , just can't put the detector down :laughing7: ( i'll be needing therapy when were completely snowed in ) :laughing7: :laughing7:
wishing you guys the best next year , Dan

Neil in West Jersey said:
I love the fact that you didn't let a little snow keep you from detecting. It paid off big time!

Congratulations!

Neil

thanks Neil our wives think we're idiots :laughing7: :laughing7: sometimes i wonder myself out in that cold and snow :icon_scratch: :dontknow: :laughing7: :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread