1786 Vermont colonial copper

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is actually my first post on this forum but I've been checking it out for a few months now. I'm kinda new to this game. I used to use a metal detector back in the 80's when I was a teenager, then, mysteriously, I forgot about it. Last year my friend got a new detector and I remembered how much fun it used to be and wondered to myself why I ever stopped. I ended up getting one myself and instantly became addicted to the hobby again. Now I'll get to the point. Last week I ran into a friend that I hadn't seen in about ten years and we were talking trying to catch up when he mentioned that he had just purchased a new house (New to him that is) It was a very old farmhouse in a rural New York town Near where we grew up. I immediately steered the conversation to metal detecting and secured permission to hunt the property. Now I'll skip to the good part. After searching for a while and not finding anything great I hit a good signal a pretty good distance away from the house in an area that apparently had been a cornfield at some point but was now mowed and part of the lawn. Imagine seeing this. didn't know what it was at first...thought it may have been a button with the shank broken off where the eye is on the back of the coin. Oh yeah, one more thing..I'm not very computer literate and I just got my digital camera recently so I hope these pictures come out OK....

Attachments

• IMG_0325.JPG
    IMG_0325.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 5,045
  • IMG_0324.JPG
    IMG_0324.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 5,124
Upvote 3
OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is that roll of tape I used to prop the coin up. I probably should have removed it before I took the picture and maybe then they would have used the picture of the front of the coin for the banner. I just wanted to thank everybody again for all of the positive responses. Happy hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_0332.JPG
    IMG_0332.JPG
    46.4 KB · Views: 3,982

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
That is a beauty of a coin. WTG!

How bout some details on depth and signal?

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Neil in West Jersey said:
That is a beauty of a coin. WTG!

How bout some details on depth and signal?
The coin was found at about 5 inches and rang up pretty solidly as a mid 70's VDI on the DFX. The depth was one reason i thought that that particular area of the lawn used to be a cornfield. The other reason of course being the scratches on the obverse of the coin. I think it's pretty ironic that the area of the coin that features a farmers plow in a field was more than likely hit by a farmers plow in a field to cause those scratches.

DDEXPII

Aug 27, 2006
MA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB EXPLORER II & the sun ray probe
well welcome back nice copper

hollowpointred

Gold Member
Mar 12, 2005
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE/Garrett GTI 2500/ Ace 250
i cant believe how little corrosion is on that coin! :o thats a great find!!

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'll bet you're glad you saw the light....MDing' that is....Great coin and Welcome!!

Skrimpy

Bronze Member
Aug 16, 2006
smAlbany, NY
Detector(s) used
DFX
I think I am the only person in smAlbany that can't find schnit (including my hunting bud who I have a sneaky suspicion this may be him). Everyone else gets, gold, silver, coppers, buckles, buttons, and bullets and all I get is nails nails nails. If it is, hurry up and get that thing slabbed before you put another gouge in it.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BlueShadow said:
Outstanding Coin! Congrads on your find and making the banner, but I did find (just last week) 4 Pulltabs all in the same whole woven together! I.m having them cleaned and slabbed, gotta warn ya I think I may have Banner Material Here ;)
WTG, Seriously just a magnificent find of a lifetime.
HH
Blue
Thanks alot blue shadow. As they say, its all down hill from here...lol. Its gonna be hard to top that one. The MD gods were shining on me that day. Speaking of pull tabs, I have to change my ways and start digging them. You never know when you've got gold under the coil. HH

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
dieharddigger said:
That's a nice roll of tape! Awesome coin too! congrats!
Thanks man. Thats a pretty big hole you're standing in in your avatar picture. Must have taken a while to dig that sucker with a lesche digger. I think I'm gonna get the roll of tape slabbed too.

OP
OP
Evolution

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigcypresshunter said:
Why did you ever quit? ;D ;D
When you're 14 or 15, MDing is awesome. Thats how I remember it in hindsight. Teenage peer pressure and partying seemed to take precedence at 16 or thereabouts, and I just never picked it up again until last year. (about a 20 year layoff) Imagine what my coin collection would look like now If I'd never stopped. HH Evo

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
Wow, what a find! I plug along, digging my 20th century silvers and racking my brain trying to gather older sites. I'll be looking for more of your finds, congratulations!

Boobydoo

Gold Member
Apr 24, 2006
Michigan
That is one amazing coin Evo!! WOW!!
Congrats on that and for making the banner of great finds up top!
Much deserved for this sweet find!

Smiles!
BDoo

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
whoa amazing simply amazing find-- I'm impressed--- Ivan

Top Member Reactions